Ranking
Original Post
Obesity
I can't walk down the sidewalk smoking a cigarette without someone chiming in on how unhealthy it is. But heaven forbid I tell that hamplanet that just told me how bad second hand smoke is that he's going to die of a heart attack from pulling around that extra 200 pounds before my second hand smoke even effects him or his half cow son. Nope then all of a sudden I'm creating a scene and people are telling me I should apologize to him and his son, that I'm being insensitive. Fat people should be ostracized. Discuss.

Redundant Moderated Message:
Discuss obesity, not smoking. Make a new thread about smoking if you want.
Last edited by Redundant; Aug 11, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
People always say "Stop the fat shaming!" Why? Unless you are fat because of a true medical disorder, you don't get my respect, shoveling 20 pounds of food into your face a day and then asking for people not to be grossed out by those massive ass folds in your back? What are they thinking, they did this to themselves, they chose to eat 20 pounds of fried shit a day. So why do we have to take the fall for them? Obesity is now a disease, (I fucking hate this world.) and so now doctors are going to give out pills and suggest surgery, which would be paid for by medical insurance, and then rates would go up for the healthy people.
I totally agree with both of of you. I've experienced the same thing, banned. I wasn't even smoking remotely near those guys.
I turned off the light at the end of the tunnel.
Why is it any of your business how much someone weighs?
It is just as little of your business as it is theirs to blame you for smoking.
Originally Posted by dupbuck View Post
So why do we have to take the fall for them?

wat
I doubt you suffer any disadvantages from strangers being fat.
Obesity can be caused by many factors, some of which cannot be helped.
Some psychological causes can be treated, but saying that it is their fault is stupid.
Manic depression, for example, is a recognized disorder which surely can cause overweight.

Of course there are those who are just lazy and live an unhealthy lifestyle. Those people's lifestyle are not your concern either, however.

tl;dr: Generalizations like “fat people are lazy” are stupid. It is not your business unless you have some sort of responsibility for their health.
How are you?
In regards to the situation, both parties are guilty. He has no right to judge you for smoking (unless you're like blowing smoke right in his or his kid's face), and you have no right to judge him or his son for being overweight.

Obesity isn't usually a choice. There are many factors that go into people being overweight. It isn't just inactivity and high calorie diets, although I'm sure there are some cases where that is the sole reason for obesity. Not all societies are set up in a way that is supportive of a healthy lifestyle. The biggest example would be America.

Contrary to popular belief, Americans take less time off, work longer hours, and retire later than almost any other industrialized country's citizens. With less time to be active, people find that as their wallets begin to fatten so are they.

American's also face the challenge of finding normal, healthy sized food portions. Practically any place that serves food sells meals that should only be appropriate for two or more people. Not to mention the availability of healthy restaurants and fast food is scarce. The closest healthy restaurant to me is 50 minutes away, whereas the closest unhealthy one is 5. The cost and availability of healthy foods discourages a healthy diet, and more and more people are finding it more economical and convenient to consume crap.

Obesity also tends to run in the family. There have been studies of identical twins that were raised apart which show weight is strongly influenced by genetics. Not to mention children tend to develop the habits of their parents. When they see the people they want to emulate stuffing their face and then sitting down and watching TV for a few hours, what do you think they're going to start to do? Genes also come into play with health conditions which can cause weight gains through incapability to be active, hormonal imbalance, slowed metabolism, and side effects from medication.

There are a few more factors, but I think my point has been given. I mean what you guys are saying is equivalent to "Let's hate on everyone who causes the slightest bit of annoyance to us no matter how much control they have over the situation." I encourage a healthy lifestyle, but you shouldn't force one upon someone. They just need to realize the benefits and make the change themselves.
DAMN.
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post

wat
Some psychological causes can be treated, but saying that it is their fault is stupid.
Manic depression, for example, is a recognized disorder which surely can cause overweight.

Of course there are those who are just lazy and live an unhealthy lifestyle. Those people's lifestyle are not your concern either, however.

tl;dr: Generalizations like “fat people are lazy” are stupid. It is not your business unless you have some sort of responsibility for their health.

Unfortunately in many countries obese people do have an effect on others. For example; more taxes devoted to public health system since obese people are more at risk of practically everything, reduced productivity at many jobs, increases strain on public transport, planes, elevators (how many times have you seen 'max load 20 people' and yet with 12 people in the elevator it says 'overweight'? Even with a generous "1 person = 100kg"...).

Rampant obesity has a huge impact on society, although it won't affect your health in the same way second hand smoking does, it is a very dangerous lifestyle choice that leaches a lot of resources away from where they should be.
Originally Posted by Redundant View Post

wat

I'm saying that people who physically can't help it deserve respect. It's your own fucking fault if you shovel 20 cheeseburgers into your mouth. Some fat people are lazy. And they judge me and call me an outcast because I do programming. Also, people have costly surgeries to remove the fat and medical insurance covers it, but then insurance goes up and the "healthy" people are paying more for problems they can't solve when obese people can lose the weight in a healthy way

I'm not saying people who are depressed, diabetic (Unless it's because you shoveled too many goddamn fries into your face) etc, aren't ok. They didn't cause it. But eating yourself sick isn't an excuse. You made yourself fat, don't make others have to make you not fat.

I have neighbors are obese and are to lazy to clean their shit up. And then we get rats and roaches in our apartment because of what is festering down there. 1/4 of america is over weight. Thus making the country as a whole look like shit because our people clearly can't make healthy decisions. I myself do admit to being a touch over weight. That doesn't stop me from being active and eating right.

As for fat shaming. You should be shameful of yourself unless you are one of the things I listed before. Treating yourself like that should make you feel bad. And human instinct is to want to be happy. If people are ashamed of you because you are obese, won't you work so they are proud of you? It feels good when your parents, co-workers etc are proud of you right? And it feels bad disappointing them correct? Being fat because of eating fast food daily could and should disappoint your parents. Turn your life style around and make them happy.
I really can't say anything because i'm obese, but i'm not against smoking.
I think everyone has the right to do what they want, if you want to smoke, do it, if you want to eat (more), do it.

But I don't think you should offend anyone because she/he is fat or she/he smoke.
However, every choice may have consequences.

(Sorry for the bad english, anyway.)
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
I can't walk down the sidewalk smoking a cigarette without someone chiming in on how unhealthy it is. But heaven forbid I tell that hamplanet that just told me how bad second hand smoke is that he's going to die of a heart attack from pulling around that extra 200 pounds before my second hand smoke even effects him or his half cow son. Nope then all of a sudden I'm creating a scene and people are telling me I should apologize to him and his son, that I'm being insensitive. Fat people should be ostracized. Discuss.

Smoking affects the health of people around you.

Obesity can be the result of many factors, whereas smoking is a clear-cut choice.

Smokers should be ostracized well before the obese.
My signature sucks
This thread is about obesity, not smoking. Please create a new thread if you want to discuss smoking.
How are you?