Ranking
Original Post
Solar Storms on the horizon.
Originally Posted by yahoo news
The sun is entering an active period that may threaten communication on Earth.

The sun is about to get a lot more active, which could have ill effects on Earth. So to prepare, top sun scientists met Tuesday to discuss the best ways to protect Earth's satellites and other vital systems from the coming solar storms.
Solar storms occur when sunspots on our star erupt and spew out flumes of charged particles that can damage power systems. The sun's activity typically follows an 11-year cycle, and it looks to be coming out of a slump and gearing up for an active period.
"The sun is waking up from a deep slumber, and in the next few years we expect to see much higher levels of solar activity," said Richard Fisher, head of NASA's Heliophysics Division. "At the same time, our technological society has developed an unprecedented sensitivity to solar storms. The intersection of these two issues is what we're getting together to discuss."
Fisher and other experts met at the Space Weather Enterprise Forum, which took place in Washington, D.C., at the National Press Club.

Article from here.

I need your thoughts about this. A lot of things could possibly change and make our lives difficult in the near future. Basically I am anxious on what is happening out there, though it may seem interesting, it shudders me at the same time.
RIP ∑
master of the universe
While the threat of electronic disruption worries me a bit, i'm more looking forward to seeing some damn pretty auroras. There hasn't been any visible ones in Denmark for years, which is a shame. I remember one where the horizon lit up in bright orange/green/blue colors. Holy shit. Anyways, it worries me slightly, but nothing major. The sun has been active before, and i've never suffered because of it. Not counting sunburns.
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
well the earths magnetic field should stop most of the soler energy from entering the earths atmosphere, and if the soler flare does penetrate the earths astmospher, lets just hope
it doesn't hit United States XD, other then that i see no way of stopping this or avoiding
it...
When you get caught masturbating, look the person in the eyes and finish like a beast.
I guess we don't have to worry about EMP knocking the earth back to the stone age, looks like the sun is about to do it for us. Or at least give us a good incentive to shield our electronics properly. Or put up a giant electrically conductive net in the upper atmosphere...

You know, this has a lot of potential (pun not intended, see electrical potential and potential energy) to solve our energy crisis.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
This would accelerate Global Warming even more.. Even if the satellites in space survive the solar storms, will the whole world survive it? It'll be really tough since we already warmed up the Earth and now this'll come. I hope it doesn't affect us severely.
Basher515----10th Dan Black Belt
████████
Originally Posted by Basher515 View Post
This would accelerate Global Warming even more.. Even if the satellites in space survive the solar storms, will the whole world survive it? It'll be really tough since we already warmed up the Earth and now this'll come. I hope it doesn't affect us severely.

Solar storms are more electrical potential than thermal potential, last I checked, so unless you use it to power a few million heat lamps in the upper atmosphere there probably won't be any problem with global warming.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
Well shit, reminds me of that movie 2012, and if that happens, we are all fucked.
* MMDES222 ([email protected]) has joined #support
[13:47:19] <MMDES222> How to add a brother to the game to make it (mc)
[13:50:05] <@Stellar> What the fuck did you just say to me

Kristis133 is better than me
I hope the sun unleashes a massive electromagnetic solar flarethat knocks theearth back into the stone age.

Rich pukes get to put their money where their mouth is, internet tough guys lose their home field, and greedy corporations gain a slap back to reality.

A perfect solution to all the world's problems in one single wave.
Originally Posted by WibbleWarrior View Post
I hope the sun unleashes a massive electromagnetic solar flarethat knocks theearth back into the stone age.

Rich pukes get to put their money where their mouth is, internet tough guys lose their home field, and greedy corporations gain a slap back to reality.

A perfect solution to all the world's problems in one single wave.

+ billions die due to inability of our society to sustain them. Thirst, famine, diseases, riots. Ohhh man I'm just jizzing in my pants thinking about it, yes, WW?