Ranking
Original Post
So, Everyones Ideas On Leaving/Staying The EU?
Personally I would leave :3
Quantum Space Isn't Cooler Than Me :l
I'm not sure why this ever came to be a big thing we are voting on. Pretty much none of the major politicians think the UK should leave the EU because it would hurt our economy/trade/culture/international relations/everything and gives us pretty much nothing in terms of benefits.

What reason do you give for wanting to leave? As far as I can see there is no argument apart from the EDL style "I dont want immigrants - even if on the whole they do help the economy and our countries businesses and our general wellbeing".
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
If a country's economy is stronger than the average of EU, is there any benefit to staying apart from international relations?
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Large changes like this usually lead to economic instability/uncertainty as far as I am aware.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
If a country's economy is stronger than the average of EU, is there any benefit to staying apart from international relations?

Being in the EU opens a huge amount of trade and makes it a lot easier. For a country that is struggling with exports and doesnt produce a whole lot its important that trade is carried out efficiently.

For both imports and exports out biggest trading partners are inside the EU, leaving the EU would undoubtedly have a huge negative impact on the UK economy, here are some nice representations of our imports and exports for people who are interested

Imports:

Exports:

The images were taken from theweek.co.uk website and the corporation that compiled the data is barclays

the circles represent the increase/decrease in imports/exports. Size of circle denotes the size of increase/decrease and colour shows whether it was an increase or decrease.

I honestly dont know of or see any rational argument for leaving the EU - wouldnt mind hearing one though
Last edited by SmallBowl; Mar 24, 2016 at 08:46 PM.
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
Being in the EU opens a huge amount of trade and makes it a lot easier. For a country that is struggling with exports and doesnt produce a whole lot its important that trade is carried out efficiently.

For both imports and exports out biggest trading partners are inside the EU, leaving the EU would undoubtedly have a huge negative impact on the UK economy, here are some nice representations of our imports and exports for people who are interested

It seems like you are either begging the question or making some unseen assertions here.

"makes it a lot easier"? OK, well that can happen without the EU. You seem to say that trade agreements are where all the advantages of being in the EU come from, but the UK can still have trade agreements when they are not in the EU................

I think that having seen the issues with other EU countries, and the problems with the euro, not to mention the refugee crisis... If 'but we can have trade agreements' is the ONLY advantage to being in the EU, and it can be maintained even when leaving the EU, then it's not a legitimate reason to stay in the EU considering the HUGE economic and cultural problems...

I'm yet to hear any legitimate argument for a strong economy to stay in the EU.
It seems like you are either begging the question or making some unseen assertions here.

"makes it a lot easier"? OK, well that can happen without the EU. You seem to say that trade agreements are where all the advantages of being in the EU come from, but the UK can still have trade agreements when they are not in the EU................

Benefits of trading in the European Union
The main benefit of trading in the European Union (EU) is the European single market. It is the largest international single market in the world, which has lead to:

-Greater competition in services - which is good for businesses and consumers
-Removal of trade barriers
-Reduction of business costs
-Greater business efficiency
-Elimination of anti-competitive practices - such as monopolies and cartels

The EU has taken measures to reform and make it even easier for countries to trade with each other, such as:

-Reducing paperwork
-Harmonising standards - eg technical and safety standards
-Enforcing the movement of people - allowing member state citizens to move freely between other countries

Sure they could still trade while not in the EU, but they wouldnt have all the extra ease, there is a reason why the main place the UK exports to is the EU rather than the US and China.

Originally Posted by ImmortalPig
I think that having seen the issues with other EU countries, and the problems with the euro, not to mention the refugee crisis... If 'but we can have trade agreements' is the ONLY advantage to being in the EU, and it can be maintained even when leaving the EU, then it's not a legitimate reason to stay in the EU considering the HUGE economic and cultural problems...

I'm yet to hear any legitimate argument for a strong economy to stay in the EU.

The refugees arent so much to do with the EU, the EU is nearby and there are wealthy countries so they go there, the countries dont actually have to accept as many as they are (particularly Germany). I dont understand where there are major "cultural problems", and as for Economic - its unarguable, the economy is better off in the EU because of the ability to trade with far less constraints, Im not sure what huge economic issues youre talking about, the only countries that have really majorly suffered at any point as a direct result of being in the EU are Greece, Portugal, Spain and Germany. Greece in particular suffered because it needed to devalue its currency but couldnt because it was using the Euro, this isnt an issue for the UK since we use Sterling, also Germany chose to bail out Greece which is why it suffered, in addition on the whole Germany profited by being in the EU as trading within the EU is how it got to be such a strong economic powerhouse in the first place.

You said there are "economic and cultural issues" which are really general terms but havent given any examples, this doesnt add to your case because it doesnt add any evidence or argue any points. You have yet to put any reason forward to leave the EU
I vote leave EU because it is one step against having one government for the entire world. I hope they stop trying to scare people into voting no. Don't be afraid of the politician lies and be brave, vote to leave to start getting your freedom back.
-Reducing paperwork
-Harmonising standards - eg technical and safety standards
-Enforcing the movement of people - allowing member state citizens to move freely between other countries

All of which can exist without being in the EU...

What exactly is stopping the UK from reducing their paperwork without being in the EU? Nothing, eg UK has visa exchange programs for many non-EU countries.
What is stopping the UK from using international standards without being in the EU? Nothing, eg many countries have/are adopting 230v standard.
What is stopping the UK from allowing citizens to move freely? Well the UK isn't even in the Schengen region.. So do they even care about this? Regardless, visa exchange as mentioned above...

So really, all of the benefits you think the EU has, are completely imagined!

Sure they could still trade while not in the EU, but they wouldnt have all the extra ease, there is a reason why the main place the UK exports to is the EU rather than the US and China.

And I'm sure that reason is because of easier trade and not because the EU is right next to UK?

Your logic is CLEARLY not true when the second biggest export is to US, and the biggest import is from China... Your logic is clearly not true mate!

The refugees arent so much to do with the EU, the EU is nearby and there are wealthy countries so they go there, the countries dont actually have to accept as many as they are (particularly Germany). I dont understand where there are major "cultural problems"

It is because of immigrant sharing, and it's particularly harmful to the UK since they have to spend money to fund member states who clearly have no interest in stemming the flow.

If you don't think that mass immigration is a huge cultural problem, then maybe watch the news every now and then? EU interior countries do not have strong boarders and can't stop immigrant flow.

and as for Economic - its unarguable, the economy is better off in the EU because of the ability to trade with far less constraints, Im not sure what huge economic issues youre talking about, the only countries that have really majorly suffered at any point as a direct result of being in the EU are Greece, Portugal, Spain and Germany. Greece in particular suffered because it needed to devalue its currency but couldnt because it was using the Euro, this isnt an issue for the UK since we use Sterling, also Germany chose to bail out Greece which is why it suffered, in addition on the whole Germany profited by being in the EU as trading within the EU is how it got to be such a strong economic powerhouse in the first place.

No way, as above, trade can be as unrestrained WITHOUT being in the EU, without actually being in it. As a result of the EU, every country within has racked up debt and spent a lot "helping" out weaker states. For a country with a strong economy, there is no benefit. How exactly does France, Germany, etc, benefit from lending 10's of billions of euros to failing economies, money that they will never get back because the country will eventually default? Germany in particular has suffered because of this, because they have the strongest economy.

You said there are "economic and cultural issues" which are really general terms but havent given any examples, this doesnt add to your case because it doesnt add any evidence or argue any points. You have yet to put any reason forward to leave the EU

Sorry, I guess you don't watch the news in the past 10 years :P At this stage you can take "economic and cultural issues" to refer specifically to strong economies forced to support the weak, and to the immigrant crisis.
All of which can exist without being in the EU...

What exactly is stopping the UK from reducing their paperwork without being in the EU? Nothing, eg UK has visa exchange programs for many non-EU countries.
What is stopping the UK from using international standards without being in the EU? Nothing, eg many countries have/are adopting 230v standard.
What is stopping the UK from allowing citizens to move freely? Well the UK isn't even in the Schengen region.. So do they even care about this? Regardless, visa exchange as mentioned above...

So really, all of the benefits you think the EU has, are completely imagined!

No, you misunderstand, trading outside the EU requires more paperwork than trading inside. Thats not the UK deciding "lets use more paperwork" its because they have to.

Free movement is more about the movement of a workforce than of individuals, less so in the Schengen region. An example is that the UK is currently short on nurses (which Im sure you know is pretty important) so it needs to get qualified nurses in, its very easy and quick to get them in from the EU because of this free movement between the countries where a huge amount of extra paperwork is needed. To answer your question, yes the UK does care, because it has a direct impact on its workforce in quite a few important areas.

So really no they are benefits.

Originally Posted by ImmortalPig
And I'm sure that reason is because of easier trade and not because the EU is right next to UK?

Your logic is CLEARLY not true when the second biggest export is to US, and the biggest import is from China... Your logic is clearly not true mate!

Partly of course, but also because of being in the EU, if you dont think that being in the EU makes trading with EU member states easier there is honestly no point discussing this since thats one of the core parts and functions of the EU - which is why it is often regarded as a single market.

Youve CLEARLY made up the second paragraph because China is the 4th biggest import, despite being the largest exporter of good in general in the world.

It is because of immigrant sharing, and it's particularly harmful to the UK since they have to spend money to fund member states who clearly have no interest in stemming the flow.

If you don't think that mass immigration is a huge cultural problem, then maybe watch the news every now and then? EU interior countries do not have strong boarders and can't stop immigrant flow.

The mass immigration isnt even from an EU member so there is no obligation to accept large numbers of refugees, Germany in particular are accepting way more than they need to. The UK has no interest in stemming the flow either, our government sees to humanitarian issues as well as economic ones and this is a humanitarian issue which can be made a lot better by accepting many of these refugees.

Fuck dude no they CAN stop it, that doesnt mean they will. And it also doesnt mean the UK is trying to.

No way, as above, trade can be as unrestrained WITHOUT being in the EU, without actually being in it. As a result of the EU, every country within has racked up debt and spent a lot "helping" out weaker states. For a country with a strong economy, there is no benefit. How exactly does France, Germany, etc, benefit from lending 10's of billions of euros to failing economies, money that they will never get back because the country will eventually default? Germany in particular has suffered because of this, because they have the strongest economy.

Sorry, I guess you don't watch the news in the past 10 years :P At this stage you can take "economic and cultural issues" to refer specifically to strong economies forced to support the weak, and to the immigrant crisis.

No, it fucking cant you are wrong. Lets take Norway as an example, after leaving Europe they struggled to find trade, and now they are bound by EU regulations and directives, and also pay dues, because otherwise they would not be able to find enough trade to have a strong enough economy to support itself. Where do you think the UK would get its trade from? Do you think that suddenly the US would want to buy a load more thing? Do you think that the EU would think "oh shit, youre struggling to find trade dont worry well bend over backwards for you after you ditched us"? No, neither of these things would happen, because why would they?

Do you even know what the core principles of the EU are? Im 100% sure you dont because "No way, as above, trade can be as unrestrained WITHOUT being in the EU, without actually being in it." So theres no point in discussing this topic with you, cheers. (Im honestly unsure whether your trolling and playing devils advocate again, either way you misunderstand the EU's principles entirely so keeping up this discussion with you is pointless)