Ranking
Original Post
Joining the Military
I think it would be scary but I would also know that I am there for a purpose, to serve my country rightfully. I would probably say goodbye to my wife as if it were my last time I would see her but to my kids as if I am going on a buisness trip "I'll be back soon". When I return... I mean if I return I would spend as much time as possible with them and cherish them like never before. What would you guys do if you were drafted into the Military?
I'm sure in countries where a draft has been in place for a lengthy amount of time it's more of a given then something to be afraid about. Like it's something you just do. I've already decided on joining the military when I finish high school (to help with college and for resumes for future jobs), and so far I have no qualms about going. Then again, I'm not particularly attached to anyone, nor do I have a family, so I wouldn't understand what that feels like.

As for the combat aspect of military life... I have personal reasons as to why I'm not worried about that.
Omnia Mori
sed Evici Amor
If I was drafted to the military I'd hope for the best. The only thing that bothers me is the people that are lost or die in combat but they aren't mentioned or remembered. Also, you're not always taken to combat zones. They may be short on other fields.

boricua

I think most people would benefit from the rigorous training and discipline of the military. 1-2 year compulsory service should be implemented in all countries.

As for it being 'scary', actual fighting is of course scary :/ That's a given.

Originally Posted by Tekro View Post
If I was drafted to the military I'd hope for the best. The only thing that bothers me is the people that are lost or die in combat but they aren't mentioned or remembered. Also, you're not always taken to combat zones. They may be short on other fields.

People who are drafted are not sent in to combat generally.

In countries I know of that have compulsory military service you serve for a set amount of time (2 or 3 years). This is different to being a career soldier, the purpose is for self defense, not to send out.
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post

In countries I know of that have compulsory military service you serve for a set amount of time (2 or 3 years). This is different to being a career soldier, the purpose is for self defense, not to send out.

Originally Posted by Tekro
Also, you're not always taken to combat zones. They may be short on other fields.

boricua

Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
I think most people would benefit from the rigorous training and discipline of the military. 1-2 year compulsory service should be implemented in all countries.

...Yes, because I'm born in a country I should be forced to fight in wars I may not believe in, and for a military I do not want to support. I would kill enemy soldiers and possibly die in the process, all because the training and discipline is good for me.
Inane trolling.
Originally Posted by Gorman

Missing the point of a draft, but okay.

Originally Posted by Gorman

The purpose is for self defense? Joining the military is not taking a karate class. In countries where military service is compulsory it means it's military service. The danger is real.
Buy TC for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=240345
Buy VIP and Toriprime for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=237249

Hey look more than two lines.
Military service is something that makes you stronger or kills you. Nowadays not too much actual "wars" are going on, but I live in Russia where there always is some local fights. Many young ppl die in that conflicts, it's sad. But it's how it is now and how it will always be. If you don't approve such system, go to parliament and do something about it like all revolutionizers did. But do not expect something to actually change. People always die for something they do not believe into.
Tentacles4life&fun!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Join BISH
ANIMELOVER
Originally Posted by Boredpayne View Post
...Yes, because I'm born in a country I should be forced to fight in wars I may not believe in, and for a military I do not want to support. I would kill enemy soldiers and possibly die in the process, all because the training and discipline is good for me.
Inane trolling.

Missing the point of a draft, but okay.

The purpose is for self defense? Joining the military is not taking a karate class. In countries where military service is compulsory it means it's military service. The danger is real.

I took it to mean he was talking about compulsory service. I was using draft in the same context.

So to reiterate;
> No, you would not.
> No, I am not.
> Yes, they are, since they are not deployed outside the country.