Ranking
Original Post
Do games need physics [Discuss]
So what do you think?
Most modern released games at the moment do have physics but not all of them really effect its gameplay. do you think physics is just a bonus or does every game really need to have it?
Yes, i only play games with physics.

GTA IV without physics would be crap.

Crysis without physics would be crap.

Red faction guerilla without physics would be even more crap.

Physics makes games more realistic and fun to play.
* ego gently touches Snorlaxen's manly chest while shivering at the thought of being caught out here alone with him.
when i ment no physics i ment like so only underlying physics that you dont rly notice that much. so GTA SA or carmageddon style
I think physics are a good plus but I played GTA SA, I didn't care so much. If you have seen Red Dead Redemption trailer it shows off the cool physics that RDR has.
[11:03] <Murmayder> I AM A WALRUS
well it should have realistic physics. the funniest thing in gta 4 is having a trainer and you can jump from the same building the same day and it never happens the same. or you cheat that you become ub3r fast and than get out of the car. thats the most fun thing in gta 4. also iam searching a mod for gta sa which imports the physics, maybe someone can help me?
Check out my Youtube!
In my opinion:
Ofc depends on the game, some games might not need any physics but... Well an example since I like giving examples.
A totally new online shooter game, absolutely beautiful graphics amazing game play etc. Then you stand next to a cliff and shoot, the shells fall of the cliff and bounce from midair, because they are just scripted to do that because the developers were to lazy to make actual physics for that.
Game ruined or not? Atleast gives a minus.
So yes for most games.
Clan Blood Leader
It's a nice big bonus, but it's not required per sé. Unless the game revolves around physics, that is. Can't have a physics based game without physics, right? =P

Games like Toribash use physics as a core part of the gameplay, while others, such as many first person shooters, use it for effects. These effects aren't necessary, but make the games so much more fun to look at. For example, if you blast someone in the chest with a shotgun, seeing them get sent flying in a physicsy way is loads more entertaining than a purely scripted death. The latter can look good if it's contextual (pistols causing slow crumbling, bazookas sending people barrelling through the air in gory pieces), but the former typically looks better if done right.

Long story short, not necessary, but a very big bonus if done right.
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
I preffer games with physics, however, they do not need them to be fun.

I find there is alot more things to do and just mess around which overall adds more play time I will do on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.::[Latin]::..-Ldr[GU]-[OLDA]-[PwN]-[TO]-[BISH]-[MG]-[WLT]

[Auction].::Full Demo Set::.
~TheElement Signature WingFlame
EVERY GAME* HAS PHYSICS

THIS THREAD IS RETARDED AND IS NOW ABOUT MY AVATAR

*this excludes paint, solitaire, minesweeper, memory, etc.
although really you could argue that these have physics too (card flip for solitaire, spray for paint, the sweepan for minesweper, etc).
Last edited by m0o; Apr 4, 2010 at 11:48 PM.