Toribash
Original Post
Farcry 3: Blood Dragon
So why isn't this under Farcry 3? Well, because it's stand-alone, and also awesome enough to warrant its own thread.

The cover alone should tell you all you need to know, but if that isn't enough, here's the official trailer too:

Looks ridiculous? That's because it is, and it prides itself on being ridiculous. Farcry 3 is an awesome game itself, but it's a very serious game. Blood Dragon doesn't take itself very seriously, and it is very obviously made with fun in mind. Case in point: the titular blood dragons, or as I like to call them, LASER GODZILLAS. Sure they can't fly, but they'll still blow you to shit with LASER FUSION BLASTS from their GLOWING RED NEON EYES that see pretty badly.

But no, having such monsters randomly waddle around isn't enough! Nay, for you can rip out the cyber-hearts of dead foes, and use these hearts as lures for the LASER GODZILLAS. This means that yes, you CAN sic the LASER GODZILLAS on the EVIL CYBER SOLDIERS and watch the ensuing show. In fact, the in-game tutorial explicitly mentions this.

It does have a story, but so far it's not like BioShock-esque super story, but rather 80's action hero kill bad guys get girls story. And it's MANLY. Your character is called SERGEANT REX 'POWER' COLT, and he's a fuggin CYBER COMMANDO. Unlike Jason Brody, who had to acquire all his badass skills, REX POWER COLT starts with a good number of badass skills, and can run faster, jump higher and fall further than poor little Jason. So basically, you jump right into the action, but you'll STILL get more skills as you progress, it's just automatic. Also, the collection element from the original is still there, but it's rather more fast now, and you unlock lots of cool attachments for your guns to boot. For example, explosive rounds for the sniper. And i mean EXPLOSIVE. It's like a fucking tank cannon!

So... Long story short, if you want some good old hilarious 80's styled action, buy this right now. It's only 15€ on Steam (and thus, PC), and it's totally worth that. It's possibly SLIGHTLY more intense on your hardware than the original, but not by much. Chances are, if you can run FC3, you can run Blood Dragon.
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
Don't tell anyone but I played and finished this last week :P
it was leaked onto the internet around the 23rd of April RARGH PIRACY BLARGLE ARGLE

In my opinion, the main plot line is far too short. But it's most definitely awesome the whole way. I quite liked how the skill system required absolutely no interaction with a menu, and the numerous references to old stuff.
Oh and how could you forget the intentionally bad Duke Nukem style one-liners and the self-deprecating tutorial?

So yeah, definitely worth playing but I really don't feel motivated to collect all the collectables or liberate the remaining few garrisons after having finished the main story.

Why?

Also, try repeatedly pressing F in front of a scientist (but not so close that you'd melee him.)
Last edited by 4zb41; May 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM.
4zb41: but then you're missing all the fun, if there's one thing Farcry 3 has taught us is that hard games are a choice. Go stealth rambo instead of using miniguns and pulse lasers and suddenly the game is much more entertaining.
<&Fish>: did you just infract the toribot?
<&Fish>: you're fired
<JSnuffMARS> sounds like a drug-addiction or mastu(I'll censor that word)
<bishopONE>: also yeah fisting
<mwah> Gynx is it true you got admin over hero because hes from pakistan
Originally Posted by sid View Post
4zb41: but then you're missing all the fun, if there's one thing Farcry 3 has taught us is that hard games are a choice. Go stealth rambo instead of using miniguns and pulse lasers and suddenly the game is much more entertaining.

But... but I did try to play stealthy most of the time! The only time I went Rambo was when I ran into a Heavy and didn't have Heavy Beatdown unlocked yet. I used the bow & explosive sniper almost religiously :P

Trust me though, the final mission and especially the mission before it leave next to no room for this approach.
Yeah the missions rubbed me wrong, but the writing makes up for it
Stealth? Pffffffffffft, my version of stealth means "RUN IN AND FUCKBLAST EVERYTHING WITH SHOTGUN BEFORE THEY NOTICE". That said though, the explosive sniper is an awesome thing, and i do occasionally attempt to bow my way through some mooks. That is, if i'm not being an ape and jumping on their faces, because both jumping takedown and shuriken takedown are very useful indeed. Chain takedown is lovely too, but rather situational.
Originally Posted by 4zb41
Oh and how could you forget the intentionally bad Duke Nukem style one-liners and the self-deprecating tutorial?

aaaa oh god yes

That was the most hilariously annoying tutorial ever, and it's always amusing to hear Rex quip about what he's doing. :U
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
At one point I capped the shotgun with the quad barrels AND the incendiary rounds (plus all the other useless stuff). The shotgun stops being a close-range shooter and becomes a >90 degree angle AOE shot that can literally burn half of the ingame island on one spit, I'm pretty sure it instagibs heavies

Also, leveling, am I the only one that started minigunning blood dragons for 5k xp per capita at one point? Their lasers hurt, but they aren't overly painful, totally doable.
Originally Posted by sid View Post
Also, leveling, am I the only one that started minigunning blood dragons for 5k xp per capita at one point? Their lasers hurt, but they aren't overly painful, totally doable.

Yep, I power-levelled by attracting dragons and jumping into the nearest gunner vehicle up until I got the portable minigun. And then I realised it was a lot quicker to explosive-snipe them in the chest.

The dragons were a bit disappointing IMO. They hurt a bit, yeah, but really the worst thing about being hit by their lasers is the momentary loss of coordination and vision.
I need this, all my friends say dis b gud gaem.

I love how something is actually ok with just giving us a nostalgic experience like this, good on these m8s
Show some Love.