Toribash
Originally Posted by pusga View Post
i knew sting was in the police, but i didnt know the police consisted of 3 stings either way one of those songs that everyone likes, i literally dont know anyone who doesn't like Message in a Bottle or Every Breath You Take

since i am required to say something: dnb track by Photek, guy makes awesome textures and breaks.

also i've tried to think about why some of the recent EDM, super high production value tracks are way more forgettable to me, even if really like them at first. i started noticing it after i started listening to modern happy hardcore/ UK HC, it seems like a lot of the songs are instantly awesome but die out the more i listen to them, while other songs last for seemingly years before making me bored.

i think the conclusion i have reached is as the amount of effort and tweaking put into them is insane, there is practically nothing in the song that is "questionable" or unclear, like it is very evident what the artist is trying to achieve, since the engineering makes the whole song crystal clear, and it leaves nothing to my interpretation.

in the song i posted above there is stuff that i only noticed like months after i first heard it, and the same happens with a lot of my favourite ambient albums (FSOL - Dead Cities, Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest). those albums are filled with stuff that i am not even sure i like, which makes me more interested in them for some reason.

thoughs i had, no idea if it happens to anyone else. i saw a post by someone (Lazors?) earlier in this thread saying that they prefer songs which have "worse" quality, and i see that a lot of the times probably because of this.

I like that song, it uses some other sound in the track I haven't hear before, I like it.

Though I have pretty much 0 knowledge about EDM and don't really understand what you were talking about, I have liked this song for a long time.
cage the gargoyle
I actually really like Centuries, not sure what it is that I like about it, but haven't heard alot of song with the same stuff in it.
Not a huge fan of 3DG tho.
cage the gargoyle
Melqart and cocoacobra have both been promoted to Administrator. Congrats! ;)
Melqart: Fresh has some good stuff, Gold Dust is one of his most known tracks i think. my favourite by him is this one though

oh and when i mean high production quality i mean how most modern EDM really sounds clear and "high quality". most EDM now is designed to be really loud, and it is produced in a different way than most non-EDM (or less mainstream EDM). some instruments are made louder than others intentionally, and everything is clear to the ears (it is easy to identify all the instruments). for example, one of the EDM industry standards is that the kick/beat should always be the loudest thing in the mix, because apparently that is what the average consumer likes nowadays. it is things like those that remove the art from the songs imo, since they don't allow the artist to go beyond the regulations

Alpha: im not the best critic to those since most of 3 days grace's and fall out boy's songs sound the same to me, plus i am so tired of hearing Centuries in every radio station lol. my sister really liked them when she was 16 so maybe that is why i really on't like that kind of metal (or whatever genre it is, i am probably wrong)
Last edited by pusga; Mar 28, 2015 at 12:45 AM. Reason: 2 days grace lol
oh yeah
Originally Posted by pusga View Post
Melqart: Fresh has some good stuff, Gold Dust is one of his most known tracks i think. my favourite by him is this one though

oh and when i mean high production quality i mean how most modern EDM really sounds clear and "high quality". most EDM now is designed to be really loud, and it is produced in a different way than most non-EDM (or less mainstream EDM). some instruments are made louder than others intentionally, and everything is clear to the ears (it is easy to identify all the instruments). for example, one of the EDM industry standards is that the kick/beat should always be the loudest thing in the mix, because apparently that is what the average consumer likes nowadays. it is things like those that remove the art from the songs imo, since they don't allow the artist to go beyond the regulations

Alpha: im not the best critic to those since most of 3 days grace's and fall out boy's songs sound the same to me, plus i am so tired of hearing Centuries in every radio station lol. my sister really liked them when she was 16 so maybe that is why i really on't like that kind of metal (or whatever genre it is, i am probably wrong)

Never really looked into Fresh's other songs, the one you posted was very nice though.
I still prefer Gold Dust though, just because I've known it for a while and still remember playing Scout in TF2 while listening to this song.
Not sure why I still remember though lol.

Also thanks for explaining the "EDM Situation" ;p

Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Melqart and cocoacobra have both been promoted to Administrator. Congrats! ;)

Thanks! I'll do my best!
cage the gargoyle
I like to think of it as a comic artist would. A fast sketch is always going to have more emotion than something you've worked on for hours. The latter is going to look nicer overall, but the fast one is what pulls you in.

Idk though, production quality can be both beneficial and unbeneficial to a song. It depends.
There's a band that takes this to the extremes:

They're serious and incredibly respected by some people. Mizutani is way easier to start with if you're interested.

You have a nice explaination that i haven't considered at all, so idk anymore.
-----
Also here's something house-ish and fun. I wonder what you'll think about it.
Last edited by Lazors; Mar 28, 2015 at 06:48 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Name: Joey.
GMT: Pacific Standard Time. +8
Favorite genre of music: Classical.
Least favorite genre of music: Rap by far.
Favorite music artist: My favorite modern composer is Eric Whitacre.
Least favorite music artist: Lil' Wayne.
Favorite music sharing website: Youtube xD
One example of your favorite music: One of my favorite compositions by Eric Whitacre is October.

Also for the post above mine, sorry. I don't have speakers right now so I can't listen. /:
Last edited by Gumball; Mar 28, 2015 at 07:27 AM.
Accepted. You might not want to listen to them if you're into whitacre lmao. No but it's always to expose yourself to other flavours of music.
Anyway, i've performed water night and lux arumque before, he's not a bad composer at all, but he's not really my thing. I also liked the beginning of october a lot but then he went all sibelius over it and i just, nah. His other works are better imo.

I don't like choral music a whole lot though. Maybe cause i've done too much of it, idk. One choral composer i do like is schnittke.

I was also very inspired when i listened to ockeghem's requiem mass (stupid mistake) a while back so there's that too.
Last edited by Lazors; Mar 28, 2015 at 08:25 AM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
Sorry again, can't listen to anything right now.

Thanks for accepting me though.

I only joined choir recently. I'm mostly a band kid xD.
I play Bass Clairnet. But yeah I just really like his style. Also, another piece that I played last year is Salvation is Created by Tschesnokoff. It's a great piece if the band is good. xD Also a great choral piece.

Last edited by Gumball; Mar 28, 2015 at 08:22 AM.