Ranking
Original Post
Should alts be allowed?
This question has haunted me for a while and after seeing current events I think it is time to discuss this issue.

Alts had been an issue for a while in Toribash, and an accessibility of creating new account so freely has become quite a problem. For example, check out current ban list.
Even if you go to completely random page you can see that around 80% of bans occur on alt accounts. That is not only burning out our staff's time, but also it clearly shows how making alternate accounts prompt users to go against the rules.

Besides already mentioned points, alts also ruin experience for beginners. The amount of alts in beginner rooms is staggering. For instance, take this live example that I have caught today. In a 5 player room, 3 of the players were alts. I knew they were alts because of their play style and win ratio, which was above 80% on all 3 accounts. Moreover they knew they were going against the rules as they all disconnected as soon as I mentioned reporting them to higher authority.
My point is that in some cases there are more alts in beginner rooms than there are actual beginners. Surely that discourages some beginners to attempt the game when they get destroyed as soon as the get a chance to play.

There are many many other activities that are mainly performed by alts and go against the rules, including such as rank farming, scamming, using offensive language and more.

I think this should be put to and end, and there are few ways to do this. Simple Email confirmation process could solve majority of this problem. For example to register a new account a player would have to register an email that was never used for any other Toribash account before, and then confirm the account by clicking active link in the email sent by Tori team. This would drastically decrease number of alts as more effort would be required to create a new account.

I'm sure there are many other ways or techniques to solve this problem and discussion is required to find the most fitting solution.

I know there will be many people who will disagree with this post as there are many active players who actively use alts, but it is not good for the community in general thus something has to be done about it.
Last edited by Smaguris; Mar 16, 2017 at 05:08 PM.
Honestly I feel like the email thing were you have to connect an email to each account and if you make a second account you have to do a different email for it would work if you REQUIRED emails

that would make it so people had to make a new email for each new alt

which would allow alts but slow there widespread use
While I agree that there should be a system that prevents simple alt creation, I think that some moderation policy changes should come first. Toribash is probably the only game I know where you can get a real ban for calling someone a dick (other words may be used, it doesn't change the point). Yes people should know how to behave but due to the lack of tools allowing to mute players instead of banning or having any other sort of softer punishment killing off the possibility of creating alts would be kinda weird. You can get restricted from playing a game if you shitpost in market on forum, after all.

If we ever get to actually implementing an anti-alt system, I'd like it to be more harsh though: you can register only one account from your steam ID (email required, no confirmation needed); if you register an account using a standalone version then you have to confirm your email and your account's functionality is restricted (transfers mainly) for certain amount of time / until you play certain number of games. This would make accounts more valuable than they are now (because you can't just go and make a new one any moment even if you get a new email) and open possibilities for having game rewards.
due to the lack of tools allowing to mute players instead of banning or having any other sort of softer punishment killing off the possibility of creating alts would be kinda weird

how about changing the ban policy.. like if you are rude to someone on forums, you'll get banned for like 2-3 hours or something.. its lot softer than those where you ban a person for 5 days just for calling someone a ni**a...
Which is INJUSTICE
Death offered by: TyZi ; Butler ; Sunther ; Manitoda
Originally Posted by Jaker250 View Post
how about changing the ban policy.. like if you are rude to someone on forums, you'll get banned for like 2-3 hours or something.. its lot softer than those where you ban a person for 5 days just for calling someone a ni**a...
Which is INJUSTICE

I'd rather we had forum access restrictions for those who break forum rules, ingame mute for players who can't play without insulting others and keep general bans as a last resort.
Originally Posted by sir View Post
I'd rather we had forum access restrictions for those who break forum rules, ingame mute for players who can't play without insulting others and keep general bans as a last resort.

cant help but agree with sir.

now,for the alts issue, i agree that they do disturb the experience for beginners,but that doesnt means alts should be prohibited at all.im thinking something like an in game anti alt system where you cant enter lower belt servers even by switching to an alt,althought it might be somewhat difficult.
"I am the White Void, I am the Cold Steel, I am the Just Sword! I am Hakumen, the end has come!!"
Instead of not allowing Alts what about every account needs to be verified by email verification before being able to used ? ( and only 1 Account per email)
You already have to use a different email to make an alt, you cant use the same email twice, its been like that for a while now.
you're on thin ice, pal
Originally Posted by Swosh View Post
Instead of not allowing Alts what about every account needs to be verified by email verification before being able to used ? ( and only 1 Account per email)

That's...exactly what I suggested..

And yeah I do agree that the ban system should be fixed up but it doesn't have a lot to do with alt issue. People who used alts for malicious activities like bashing beginners, rank farming, scamming, rigging, etc. won't be affected by things like soft ban (forum ban and mute as mentioned above)

Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
You already have to use a different email to make an alt, you cant use the same email twice, its been like that for a while now.

Yeah but you aren't required to use real email when registering because there is no confirmation process which defeats the whole point of having email attached to an account
Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post

Currently I have 3 accounts connected to my email, I dont know if you're up to date with the happenings of toribash