Ranking
Originally Posted by shooter190 View Post
http://soundcloud.com/christin-coyne...evans-911-call

What charges do you think he should face (If you believe that he SHOULD face charges at all)?

Do you think his actions were rational or irrational?

How do you think he feels now (Does he regret it or not)?

Or, you know, we could just talk about what we think as a total...

I'm just going to jump in here...

1. Yes, everyone (especially his family) will forever resent him. I think he just needs to be alone for awhile. He seems to have temper problems (most likely the reason why he was being home-schooled prior to this event), and I think being alone will be the best thing for him, as there is nothing to get mad at.

2. irrational, of course. But it's apparent that he has some mental problems, so it seemed rational to him, obviously.

3. I think he regrets it, definitely. The poor guy was crying on the phone, after all. And to be honest, I'm surprised he didn't kill himself.

As a form of punishment, I don't think prison is the right answer for everything. He'll probably be sent to a rehabilitation sanctuary (a.k.a. the best route). I hope that they don't send him to prison, that won't do anything, he'll probably just end up there again like a lot of people. He needs to be helped, so hopefully later in his life he can get some sort of job and a family.
Your pal,
crith
Originally Posted by Zayex View Post
Weed reduces violent tendancies, it doesn't intensify them. Please learn how the world works before you try to be funny.

How the world works?
I know how to google too.
"In general, after using marijuana a person experiences a sedating effect, which makes the drug less likely to cause violence in users than other substances such as alcohol and stimulants (e.g., amphetamines and cocaine).

However, sometimes when marijuana is used it can cause fear, anxiety, panic or paranoia, which can result in an aggressive outburst. For most people, however, once the effects of the drug wear off, their behaviour gradually improves."

In addition, when people are withdrawing from marijuana they can be irritable, which can lead to abusive or aggressive behaviour.

And if he DID have a violent past, That could also have helped with the aggression.

Your turn.
Last edited by zotwi; Nov 27, 2012 at 07:04 AM.
"God praise your soul. <3"
~ZeToxiiK
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~[Pain] is inevitable, whether you choose to suffer or preserve sooner or later, [Pain] will find you.~~
He didn't sound high when he rang 911.
in the name of the manly balthier send me your orc/chronos/gladiator items
pls
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Prison is notoriously bad at providing for the needs of those with mental illness. Again, I'm not saying that he should get off easy because he's mentally ill, but that all evidence points towards mental illness, and as such he should be treated appropriately. If he's faking it, then he gets the sentence imposed on any other rational human. But if he's ill, he should receive treatment, not punishment.

That's inherently my argument. Too many people on this thread just post "oh it's evil he should be in prison," regardless of any additional information or background. It's not that he should be protected from punishment if he merits it, but rather than reckless punishment is inherently dangerous and irresponsible. Rehabilitation of criminals who suffer from mental illness, who would otherwise show signs of being a functioning and law-abiding citizen once cured, is a much more reasonable and effective form of "punishment" than just resorting to a blanket "solution" of social isolation. For all intents and purposes, Jake exhibits no signs of sociopathy or psychopathy, which indicates he has a chance at curing, or at least managing, his mental illness and becoming a functioning member of society. He is not hardwired to commit crimes or violence, as psychopathy and sociopathy are (both have reduced reactions in the brain to fear because of the reduced size of the amygdala, which results in fearlessness, coupled with a diminished frontal lobe, which reduces reasoning and results in a self-centered impulsiveness), but rather predisposed from mental disturbance to commit unusual thinking and activity. Manage the mental disturbance, and he should be as normal as any other individual.

In simpler terms: Jail is not always the answer. Fixing a problem, in this case rehabilitating a mentally ill criminal, is a better solution than putting the problem away and hoping it will fix itself over time. Should the problem be thus, then rehabilitation is the superior solution to jail time.

I couldn't agree more. I'm just not sure if Jake is mentally ill.
“War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin, keep out of the way till you can.” - Winston Churchill
This thread seems to have exhausted its use.
Mei fati dominus, mei animi dux
Need to PM a SMod?

Unofficial Skimmer of Discussion!

Fabula Magnus wants more able RPers!
Cataclysm is still alive?

Thorn

Wiggi must love me forever now.