Ranking
Originally Posted by Smogard49 View Post
Judging my the date of those separate threads started by Gynx all I can see is a updated sticky after some major rules-update judging by the needs of a new thread. Also it were posted more than 100 hours after Jr were made aware of the CCs decision. As such it still does not strike me as unlikely that I, aswell as missuse, and surely other concerned parties, who spent hours looking for that information several hours prior to it being made public. I have yet to see why a decision where made prior to the grounds of it being posted. (In this case the new take on clan inactivity.)

Also, as far as I remember, No announcement of these changes were made to the respective maintainers of clans at this point, may I ask why? May I right-out ask if this were in an ill attempt to backstab those who do not tend to revisit stickies containing forum rules without being notified of such changes?

Does that mean you didn't read the previous rules?

Here's a link to Fish's set from Jan 28th 2011

That set predate your clan being official by a couple of months, so you've read them right?
*Official since Feb, 2011 according to the system - however the real date was March 27th

Here's the relevant section:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Activity Checks
Clan Moderators check on official clans randomly. If a clan is found to lacking in too many ways, it will be shifted to the Dead Clans subforum. The things we look at are, participation in events and wars, In-game activity, IRC activity, forum activity, and post quality. If it doesn't look to bright we'll start asking questions.

If that rule was there in plain sight 4 year ago then we can't be backstabbing you with a sudden Gynx related change. Rest easy.

However JR are from before you lot though which gives a slight problem... I did a hunt for Delaid, Hamr & Manbreakfast's rule threads, but alas it seems theirs were killed at some point a couple of years ago.

Regardless, the rule was there back then too. It was there when my clan was made official in 08, it was there before then, it was there afterwards.
Nothing changed in that regard.
Look in the dead clan area and you'll see clans that predate JR were killed for inactivity - a few with their final moments way back in 07. Gotta love history.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
Does that mean you didn't read the previous rules?

Here's a link to Fish's set from Jan 28th 2011

That set predate your clan being official by a couple of months, so you've read them right?
*Official since Feb, 2011 according to the system - however the real date was March 27th

Your clan, I take it you mean Hung reborn aka fl0w? I'm pretty certain the original dates back to 3 or so years prior to that. And if it matters i believe i officially joined Hung in 2010, Dec(?).

"If an explanation isn't provided within a week" is what I remember existing in that line of the rules-text when it came to inactivity, am I wrong?
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
Why does it even matter if a clan is inactive? Trying to force clans to be active by threatening them with deletion is futile at best - and completely unproductive if you are specifically trying to delete them...

Here's the relevant section:

Overly vague rules can only be understood in the context of their enforcement.

If you want to make vague statements like "If a clan is found to lacking in too many ways" so you can give yourself leeway to moderate however you feel like at the time, then you have to accept that people are probably not going to magically know what you are thinking without asking...
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
Overly vague rules can only be understood in the context of their enforcement.

If you want to make vague statements like "If a clan is found to lacking in too many ways" so you can give yourself leeway to moderate however you feel like at the time, then you have to accept that people are probably not going to magically know what you are thinking without asking...

That's why I changed the rules, they were too haphazardly organised and poorly maintained. That set of rules is years before we changed activity checks for the better & there was another revision between that and the current one (made by LightningKid). Nobody's denying the old system was bad, that's why we changed it. Arguably, you could say that the old checks would have been harsher than these ones had they actually been done.
collect snots from the nose
Originally Posted by Gynx View Post
Arguably, you could say that the old checks would have been harsher than these ones had they actually been done.

When it came to ingame & IRC specific clans "harsher" was an understatement.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Ok so since (at least for me) the biggest query with activity checks has been what they are actually good for, I re-read the thread and made lists and stuff and as far as I can tell there are three benefits to activity checks which I can actually believe:
-Rising newer clans are more noticeable without all the clutter of inactive old ones. (So they can gain recognition easier and have a better time in general).
-Some clans will be woken up and kinda resurrected from inactivity by the push the checks provide resulting in possible good times for the previously inactive members.
-The clan list is less cluttered and less depressing since the usual sad garbage is cleared away. This makes looking through the clan list (out or boredom or need for a clan) less soul destroying as the dead clans are easier to avoid.

I might have missed something or lost some of the meaning while summarising but that is as close to a final answer to the question as I could work out for my simple self.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
O-Rising newer clans are more noticeable without all the clutter of inactive old ones. (So they can gain recognition easier and have a better time in general).
-Some clans will be woken up and kinda resurrected from inactivity by the push the checks provide resulting in possible good times for the previously inactive members.
-The clan list is less cluttered and less depressing since the usual sad garbage is cleared away. This makes looking through the clan list (out or boredom or need for a clan) less soul destroying as the dead clans are easier to avoid.

basically turns the clan mods into mother hens.
making sure the kids bedrooms are all tidy and making sure they all wake up on time to go to school.
the ones that oversleep or dont do their homework get thrown out during a spring clean.
encourage a healthy clan culture.

if these checks keep their momentum going, theyll effectively be doing what regular mods would. they'll ahve to moderate.

now that we're officially dead, i can encourage gynx to turn the clan mods into actual moderators, instead of just a clan council / group of high school principals who only interfere when something goes wrong / someone needs disciplined.
rather than it just being gynx who's kicking ass and taking names.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Alright, no reason for me to visit this website anymore

to any fellow urbans reading: if you wanna be in our skype group, pm me your name. I'll check my inbox in the next week or 2 before I abandon this thing.
Zelda's getting the basic idea. It encourages clans to look after themselves & it's healthier for them. If we left them all sat there we'd have a few hundred inactive & verging on dead, and only 10 or so active ones.

all I can tell you is that the majority of the people who know about it think that it's too lenient and want it to be more punishing. ... we wont divulge specifics of the test

rightfully punishing an inactive clan

you seem to think GerU is active and it's not.
People with posting members aren't considered inactive.
[Posted in reply to 5 people telling him they are active]

Have you guys even thought this through or are you just bullshitting to stop people from disagreeing with you?

How exactly are secret tests supposed to encourage activity?

How is the idea that you want clans to stay health at all compatible with the directive to punish inactivity with deletion?

Why use such loose definitions?

Instead of bullshitting, just answer the question;
What is the problem with having some clan forums inactive?
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff