Ranking
Originally Posted by Muffindo View Post
The point of aiding countries in cases like these is to be helped back when the scenario is reversed. It doesn't mean that Haiti is going to help the US in the future but rather that other rich countries will help the US if they see they're not selfish people.
I also agree morally that they should be helped, if your house got blown away by a hurricane, you wouldn't like to be abandoned by the government.

Not saying that it isn't morally right to help, but most other countries already hate us for sticking our heads where they don't belong. Shouldn't we spend our time and money focusing on our own problems and debt? Just because we are helping other people out doesn't mean that other rich countries are gonna be like "HEY, LOOK AT THE USA, HELPING OUT HAITI WHICH JUST GOT SCREWED TO THE WALL WITH THAT EARTHQUAKE, MAYBE WE SHOULD COLLECTIVELY BAIL THEM OUT OF DEBT" I mean, we really need to get over the fact that we aren't some superhero nation. Hell, I'd be more inclined to call us a supervillain nation, but that's another debate. Don't mind me, I can tell this discussion will go somewhere interesting if I play devil's advocate.
Last edited by evets; Jan 15, 2010 at 08:24 AM.
I think the US should help, because for all we know the Haitians might become a really prosperous country one day and hopefully they remembered that the US helped out and donate money to the US if the US needs help
[Colon 3]
Jesus, do you really need a motive like that? I mean, are you thinking "Jeez, why should we help them, what will we get out of it?"
Because the world is run by money and labor, two things that Haiti has been unable to produce to a sufficient extent during their existence.

You all know my stance, etc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Proud Member Of [Evil]
Love Lempika For Making My Avatar and Signature
[21:27] <+siku> huge penis in War's mouth
[21:27] <+siku> are you still confused?
[21:27] <+siku> penis gently sliding deeper in war's mouth
[21:27] <+siku> are you still confused
[21:27] <Xtreme> not anymore :D
Originally Posted by Strigoides View Post
Jesus, do you really need a motive like that? I mean, are you thinking "Jeez, why should we help them, what will we get out of it?"

Eh, the motives dont always matter in situations like this. Its like something Mother Thereasa said. She was talking about people questioning her reasons for doing all the work she did, she was worried people would think she did it all to be famous and told she was a great woman. Eventually though, she realized that it didnt matter what people thought were her reasons, or even in the end what her reasons really were, what mattered was that the people who needed helped, got helped.

Its like when people make fun of rich people who donate money. People get on them for being self serving, trying to donate in order to feel like good people. But really, who gives a shit, as long as the money goes where it is needed. Kwim?
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
I'm kind of worried at the extent of unwillingness to help, what's got to be, one of the poorest nations. I see where some of you are coming from, haiti has proved to be one of the biggest money holes you could imagine. But when something like this happens, the human in you should want to help. I know the U.S. can't help everyone, nor should we (in fact, I hate how the U.S. gets involved in everything.)

Anyway, one of the main reasons we helped (I think) the amount of people who know someone (who knows someone, who knows someone) in haiti is probably pretty high, or high enough to get peoples attention on the situation there. Before you know it, people will be discontent with their governments morality, and by this time some other country may have taken the spotlight and get a lot of praise, while the U.S. is criticized for its lack of action. (Also, haiti and humanitarians everywhere will praise the U.S.)

I know it looks like the U.S. doesn't have a lot of money, but it does, and to the people ruling the country right now, have enough money to also have a moral standard when it comes to helping countries in dire need. When I say dire, I can't stress that enough. There are probably thousands trapped and dying as we speak... err type.

tl; dr mushy stuff.
Last edited by Pirate_old; Jan 15, 2010 at 04:06 PM.
Originally Posted by kuromizu View Post
Doesnt the term donation, mean willingly giving? I rather my taxes not to go them; take care of ourselves before others. We are not responsible for what happens to them...

Scenario time.
kuromizu's family is living with his family near the seaside. An earthquake hits and kills thousands of people. His family dies. You have no way to make money in the devastated environment. You have no food. No water. You will eventually die and early death without financial help.

kuromizu: You want to try putting yourself in other people's shoes next time? I'm positive you'd be begging for help if this happened to you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
<Phail> Everyone knows GMs can combust your videocard temporarily
<decimat0r1> let those bitches try
People look into these situations with a 'why should we help attitude', why not adopt a 'why shouldn't we help' attitude. Seriously why shouldn't the worlds most powerful country help a small neighbour during the worst earthquake to hit in a couple of centuries? It's already in $12 trillion of debt, what's a few billion more?
VERY IMPORTANT: THIS ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER IN USE. IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT ME THEN PM ONAMIST.
Wonder who they're going to kill on that rescue mission

on a 50% more serious note, yes. As a self-respecting well-faring western country, it's their moral obligation to help in some way.
I refuse to grab.
-
Like CnC? Most people do. Be a dear and spread the love!
Why do we have a moral obligation to help? Throw morals out and look at practicality for once.

From a financial perspective, we have absolutely no incentive to go over and offer aid that we can't afford to give. Obama and his liberal dogs are far too willing to jump out and help others to distract themselves from our dying economy and trillions in debt.

Helping Haiti serves no beneficial purpose. They are barely a minor producer and offer no benefits to the US.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Proud Member Of [Evil]
Love Lempika For Making My Avatar and Signature
[21:27] <+siku> huge penis in War's mouth
[21:27] <+siku> are you still confused?
[21:27] <+siku> penis gently sliding deeper in war's mouth
[21:27] <+siku> are you still confused
[21:27] <Xtreme> not anymore :D