Ranking
That's horrible. Even worse, stupid groups are going to blame the video game, rather than the child or terrible parenting and try to establish this as the norm, rather than the exception
It's not the game guise, it's the kid itself. Obviously the kid isn't all there in the head department.
[doc]
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Isn't Modern Warfare 2 and Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 rated M for mature? That means you'd have to be over 17 years old to play it. Now, luckily for me, I don't have to worry about that, but what about everyone else? I know that there are people in this community who play those games even though they are underage. Do you think that age requirements are enough? I don't. Underage kids will play those games the same way underage kids drink, smoke, and do other crap. We can't change that.

What we can change is the way we educate our young. Unfortunately, the video game companies don't really care about that stuff, but if our generation builds a strong foundation with values, our kids and their kids will be able to recognize what's truly important.

Sure the youngsters can still play video games; I'm not saying that VIDEO GAMES ARE BAAAAD. Rather, as long as the user has complete control over his faculties, we should be fine.

Bold number one:
In Germany and most European companies, you most be older to play mature games, for example I was going to buy Assassian Creeds II in Germany, and it said you most be 18+ or have parent accompany you. That's why I think these small outbreaks happen less in countries where they take this more seriously. So, I agree that the age limit should either be justified or increased

I just think the kid was a lunatic D'hohohoho.
Originally Posted by pwned62 View Post
Many people would say that the games violence would influence the childs actions, i disagree with that. I beleive the kid may have been mentally unstable from the beginning, but the game may have given him more ideas.

Originally Posted by Galt View Post
It's not the game guise, it's the kid itself. Obviously the kid isn't all there in the head department.

The problem is that we are only given that one article, so we will never be able to know whether the kid had other problems. Although it is relatively safe to assume that he had some mental issues, like pwned62 said, the game might have pushed him over the limit.

Originally Posted by pwned62 View Post
Firstly, the kid wont become a vicious pyscho murderer by playing Grand Theft Auto, and Secondly, they will have to learn about the treacheries and horrors that come with the richness of human life at somepoint in their childhood, why not early so they can be more prepared for it?

So you would seriously let some 6 year old play that game, thinking that he won't become "a vicious pyscho murderer"? What happens when he goes around cursing his head off? What happens when he hits elderly people because it's fun? What happens when he calls his father a bitch because the kid heard it on a tv?
The latter event actually happened with a few minor details changed.
beep
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
So you would seriously let some 6 year old play that game, thinking that he won't become "a vicious pyscho murderer"? What happens when he goes around cursing his head off? What happens when he hits elderly people because it's fun? What happens when he calls his father a bitch because the kid heard it on a tv?
The latter event actually happened with a few minor details changed.

Read: I like to make stupid as fuck analogies and then try to pass them off as relevant.

We've already established that the kid is mentally fucked up, regardless of the video game he plays. So why on earth would you go on to say something like that? 'Tis bordering on intellectual dishonesty.
[doc]
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
Read: I like to make stupid as fuck analogies and then try to pass them off as relevant.

We've already established that the kid is mentally fucked up, regardless of the video game he plays. So why on earth would you go on to say something like that? 'Tis bordering on intellectual dishonesty.

And why is he mentally fucked up? I think that's what he is trying to explain to you, people don't just become vicious killers.
the god
this is crazy scary. i knew people were addicted to video games but this is the first ive heard about killing. O_O
i think games will someday kill us all. =\
<3
Originally Posted by Blam View Post
Probably a psychopath.

QFT

This kid would have killed his father regardless of whether or not is was over video games. He probably had a very severe chemical imbalance in his brain, or a given piece of it just doesn't work. Or he is just one of those fluke sociopaths who simply cannot grasp reality and there for kill people. Either way its not the games fault.
Last edited by deady; Apr 18, 2010 at 02:38 AM.
Organisation of Awesome: Member.