Ranking
Originally Posted by ForumMod View Post
I'd like to hear what you all think of the carbon dating method.
Do you think it's an accurate way of dating an item?
How accurate do you think it is?
Without looking it up do you think you know exactly how it works?

I've run across some new evidence of it and it somewhat changed my opinion on it and I'm interested to see what other people think about it.

It's perfectly accurate to reasonable dates, as we know for certain the halflife and decay rates of the radioactive isotopes of carbon.

Not much to discuss. We can't say the dates for dinosaurs are exact, but theyre certainly accurate to a tens of millions or so. When you're looking at 160 million years ago, that's not so bad considering the scope of things.

We don't use carbon for massive dates, though.

What is this "new evidence"?

I didn't have to look it up, but adding that restriction is rediculous. That's like saying "no, you aren't allowed to learn because I said so". Fuck your shit.
I'm not gonna say anything that's already been said - cause it's already been said. I'm just interested in what this "new evidence" he came across is.
The enzymes in most but not all organism metabolize c12 in preferences to c14. Because of this preference most organism have a c12/c14 ratio that is different from their environment. The exception would be organisms whose enzymes do not differentiate between the two carbons. For examples organisms in a low carbon environment such as thermal vents don't have a preference and therefore cannot be dated.

Carbon dating is a very accurate way of dating organism. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Especially a bunch of Jesus freaks.
Originally Posted by Odlov View Post
I doubt anyone on toribash.com has had any experience which would qualify them to provide any insight without reference to some real paleontology or biology source.
So far as I know it is accurate up to about 60k years. Well, I and wikipedia

Here's a biology site talking about carbon 14 dating:
http://www.actionbioscience.org/evolution/benton.html

I actually do abit lol, I learned a breif outline of it in Higher Physics, its todo with te Carbon 14 levels in the source, and its extreamly huge half life?

Well anyways ye i believe its a very accurate way of meausreing dates. I mean they accurately measured the date of the oldest artifact in the world thus calcualting roughly how old earth is did they not to a massive 3 bil years i think? im probably off. But ye, its effective and scientific. Of i could measure something to 3 billion years ago i probably wouldnt go agaist it.
Last edited by Dirtnapp; May 11, 2010 at 03:04 PM.