Toribash
Originally Posted by CharredLightning View Post
It's called entertainment values.the less entertaining a person is,the less people give a shit about them.

Even when a guy in Iraq that Jumped on a bomb to save his team(killing himself,very brave),noone cares for him and just glance and stare at the entertaining people who they adore.

Much like a group of people watching a dancing monkey, while a firefighter saves some people on the other side of the street.
"Life has a funny way of throwing wet sponges at our dreams." ~ MoreTh>n Freeman
Originally Posted by Robert234 View Post
Much like a group of people watching a dancing monkey, while a firefighter saves some people on the other side of the street.

to look at it on a larger scale....

people listen to Lady Gaga's new video,and not caring that a hotspot fireteam defuses a nuke aimed at North America.

Some people can be that uncaring aout people saving their lives.
Oh sure, if you spend every evening studying to ace every test you'll get made fun of at school. In fact there'll always be people jealous of anyone who is doing well at anything and they'll try and put you down form time to time.

When i was at school you didn't get put down for doing well or being smart. Gentle jokes between friends happen if you ace a whole load of tests or come up with an answer to some obscure question etc, but it wasn't a bad thing at all to be smart.

Generally people who are a bit socially lacking do try and come out with the "the jocks hate me for my brains" line to cover up the real reason they get the piss taken out of them, which is being the type of person who's a target for school bullies. But saying that being smart in society is bad for your image ?! come on, that's not true at all. We take the piss out of Rio Ferdinand for being an idiot, but do we rip on Steven Spielberg for being a clever guy? Plus, intelligent guys who are also good looking are more attractive to girls than good looking guys who have trouble working out left and right. I don't see any real evidence to show that intelligence alone is a ground for people to get the piss taken out of them.

As for the whole celebrity culture thing - That's totally true, but also unrelated to the topic above. Yeah, most people care more about actresses and musicians than humanitarians and scientists, but they don't hate them, do they? Even readers of stuff like the Sun wouldn't say that Paris Hilton is more important to the world than Steven Hawking, but they want to read about Paris over their coffee because it's the sort of stuff that helps people unwind a bit.

Finally - yes, women are objectified a LOT in the media, but that's again..kinda irrelevant to the topic.

tl;dr - being smart is a good thing. People will like you more if you're smart AND keep a social life.
Originally Posted by CharredLightning View Post
Some people can be that uncaring aout people saving their lives.

Because TV and media in general has generally become "disconnected" from people's lives. How many of you have seen someone save someone's life with your own eyes? Heck, how many of you have even seen a dead person? I'm pretty sure almost none of you have fully contemplated what it really means when someone dies, and thus it's impossible for you to think of how great such an act of saving a person from death is - sure your rational side might abstract such a situation - or you might hear it from other people, but until you experience it directly the words of "saving people" have little weight. Second hand experience, i.e. via other people, has almost no impact on people. Music and art in general, however, is completely a first hand experience, unless you sit through dull lessons on the theory of it. But that's a different story.

@ the question; I think it's unfair that you call geeks/nerds/dorks/whatever "intelligent". Sure some of them might be good at math or physics or whatever, but I find that nerds ,in their own way, are pretty dumb. This is coming from someone who declares himself a nerd, if that means anything.

Okay I'll stop nitpicking now - the whole question is a matter of simple psychology. Nerds are commonly weaker in a physical sense against most teenagers - excuse the cliche, there are exceptions - and thus commonly seen as an "easy target" for people looking to ridicule them. And teenagers commonly ridicule people because they're looking to assert their dominance and build up their self-confidence. In essence, by ridiculing other people teenagers can say that they're stronger than another person, and fulfill their psychological need for power.

Since teenagers commonly lack a high level of restraint they let their lust for power run almost unchecked - until the point that they would get in trouble - which basically means they'll look for every opportunity to "safely" say they're stronger. Nerds are targeted here because nerds often have little self confidence (shy), and that they threaten the bully's dominance in intellectual activities, so the bully will sometimes see the nerd, psychologically, as a threat. All of this build up and this results in ridicule for nerds. Of course most people grow out of this by developing higher levels of restraint - commonly called the superego - and thus becoming "adults".

@H4rl, being smart is not necessarily a good thing. The periods of the nihilist/emo are MUCH stronger when one is "smarter", aka, able to see things critically and have a "piercing eye", because they realize how little the person actually is worth.
tl;dr: deprived is spergin'
Oh ofc being an intelligent human being is gonna have its drawbacks. But the question here is about how people perceive an intelligent human being, and i'd comfortably say that in the eyes of the average person, intelligence is something that people respect and are attracted to.
Also, a lot of the "popular people" are smart, smart enough to figure out the way society works and figure out what to do to get in with the "cool crowd".
R.I.P. Gidget
CharredLightning gave the main reason. Most people only appreciate what they can understand and what can benefit them directly, in their lifetime.
-the media shows what people want, to make money
-the people shown on the media get attention
-nerds are stereotypically serious, unfun-loving and lame in most regards
-people want to, be free, have fun and be cool
-the media doesnt show nerds
-they dont get attention

welcome to the system, please be seated in your allocated stereotypic social group and have a nice day
Founder of raku

Originally Posted by a_coathanger View Post
I hate when people measure intelligence by grades, and half the people cheat on homework and test. Then the teachers believe we're not challenged and then and the cycle repeats. I've met straight A students who had no clue who Winston Churchill or Stalin was.

Indeed. But what you are talking about there is knowledge, not intelligence. Knowing when that war was and who that guy is isn't intelligence, it's knowledge. Intelligence is thinking, seeing consequences, how things work before it's done.

And the people at school who get A's in math; 80% of them are idiots through and through. You have to remember sentences of what you are to do when faced with a problem. I remember in the tenth grade, when I hadn't been paying attention to the sentences at all. Nearly all my answers were correct on a test, but I got a C because I was "Too creative" and "You're not supposed to know that before the twelfth grade". So, my calculations were named wrong because I thought.

This is what annoys me with people who think "Oh, I'm smart" when they get A and B in school subjects. Intelligence cannot be measured. IQ is a theory, and no more.
Agreed. ^
I can say that almost word for word, except that I'm still in 10th grade.
And, to what was said earlier,
I have been ridiculed simply for being smart.
INB4 "Oh, I'm smart", All of my teachers and most of the school agrees that I'm brilliant, while I get C's and D's for lack of effort in doing homework and such.
<DjPz> I don't expect to have sex with the dolphins every time I visit them