Ranking
Originally Posted by ruadhan View Post
C&P is fine as long as you don't C&P to much.

what the fuck is wrong with you people!? CP is terrible! It ruins lives! It's disgusting! Anyone who....oh wait...C&P!!! I got ya.

Sorry, was bound to happen, so I figured I would get it out the way.

Also, fuck, Im no kind of artist, but have made a number of sets for myself. If you cant even take the time to use brushes (preferably making your own, but w/e) or something, imho you have no business selling a set. If it's for personal use, w/e as long as it isnt someones TB work. I had a transitional "set" once that was some pick of a cupcake spammed all over my tori, but it didnt look cool and I didnt brag about it. But yeah, at the very least, get GIMP, get some brushes, and use them in a creative way to make something unique.
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
well brushing technically counts as copying.
iv always held that the final product is what matters.
there are a limited amount of GOOD brushes out there, so as long as you can make them all look individual and unique, iv never had issues.
but that often involves editing or changing shit, merging two together to make something new.

image C&P iv also got no issues, getting shit to map properly, while maintaining some semblance of order in the set, can get quite hectic. cutting a 64x128 random image and then mirroring it wouldnt quite do it for me, but if you go through a process, like, selection, checking what works where, and if the end result is ok, then iv got no issues
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
I really don't have a problem with copy+pasted sets. You see, textures is not what I would call art. Art is what makes you stop and think about something, whilst Toribash textures are sheets to make your doll look cooler than the other dolls.

If you're making a copy/paste set for yourself, I see no reason why people should flip out and yell at you. The case is, however, very different if you're selling it. If that's the case, you should inform the buyer about this, so that the buyer knows that no effort was really put down.

So, summed up, I'm in favor of C/P'ing if people do it right, do it for themselves, inform whoever's buying it and not at least: If they make it look good. Because that's what it all boils down to.
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
well brushing technically counts as copying.
iv always held that the final product is what matters.
there are a limited amount of GOOD brushes out there, so as long as you can make them all look individual and unique, iv never had issues.
but that often involves editing or changing shit, merging two together to make something new.

Yeah, that's kinda how I did it. Taking pre-existing brushes and building a face from like, two circular objects for the eyes. I also learned to make a brush myself, which made this fun.
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
Well, splatter brushes are made by actually making real life splatters and scanning them, so pretty much anyone could do it if they were willing to spend the time and money for supplies.
in my opinion copy paste isn't wrong, as long as you do some major editing afterwards, or if its made from a bunch of photos to look like a a collage... kinda like my avatar... you would never have guessed that before it was just a big lump of clay with a huge background...I had to do some major editing to get it to look how it does... so no c&p is not wrong, as long as its mostly your work.
🫷🦚🫸
Originally Posted by aslask View Post
I really don't have a problem with copy+pasted sets. You see, textures is not what I would call art. Art is what makes you stop and think about something, whilst Toribash textures are sheets to make your doll look cooler than the other dolls.

I'd beg to differ, but most of the time, this is the case
Originally Posted by aslask View Post

Not art? If we go by wikipedia's definition of "art"

Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions.

So yeah... "Art" encompasses a wide array of different things. You cant just generalize it. You said its to make it look "cooler". Well by that definition, a Toribash texture could cause your brain to recognize it's "coolness" in an appealing way therefore complying with the definition of "art".

But anyway, as for the topic at hand, correct me if I'm wrong but C&P is just what... going to google, ripping an image, and making it into a texture? I don't know why anyone would support that. Why would anyone buy it when they can "make" it themselves in 15 seconds? But I have a feeling that's not quite the case... so someone should elaborate if so. >_>