Toribash
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
You are implying that they made a choice not to have a choice :3

/me is confused.
I'm implying that seeing as how they think themselves determinist and as such, amoral, that doesn't mean that we people who don't think ourselves as determinists amoral. Thus we are able to label them.
[doc]
It seems to me that you are making a pretty big logical fallacy there; you apply determinst theory to determinsts, and don't to the rest of us?

I don't think you can really say 'determinst theory is true only for determinsts'.

To use an example once more, its like saying that if you believe the earth is flat you are not allowed to buy a round the world trip because you would fly of the edge and die.
The earth is round or it is flat, it can't change for different people.

See what I am getting at? :3
It seems to me that you are making a pretty big logical fallacy there; you apply determinst theory to determinsts, and don't to the rest of us?

Of course. Why should I? I'm saying that if determinists believe themselves to be true determinists then they must, in actuality, be amoral.
I don't think you can really say 'determinst theory is true only for determinsts'.

I'm saying it. ;)
To use an example once more, its like saying that if you believe the earth is flat you are not allowed to buy a round the world trip because you would fly of the edge and die.

I'm also inclined to mention (seeing as you started) the logical fallacy of analogy right there.

But yeah, in essence, what I'm trying to get across is this:
'I'm saying that if determinists believe themselves to be true determinists then they must, in actuality, be amoral.'.

I'm gonna go to sleep now, I'll check up on this thread in probably about 15 hours.
Last edited by Galt; May 16, 2010 at 05:41 PM.
[doc]
But still, since determinism makes morality void, then psychopaths do not exist, and once again we wind back to them not being psychopaths.
To say otherwise would be to pick and choose the bits you want, which is clearly wrong.

As for this; 'I'm saying that if determinists believe themselves to be true determinists then they must, in actuality, be amoral.'
As above, you cannot be amoral without the existance of morals, and since as you say determinsm is not compatible with such a concept, then they are neither amoral nor moral.
In the absence of colour is that which is not white black? I doubt it =]

I admit, I did think this was a serious thread at first, rather than a game of "you are what you believe" n_n
If determinism is true, and free will is not, then morality and ethics are meaningless concepts. Morality and ethics require that a choice can be made in order for these concepts to have any meaning. But if a person has no choice, in the case of a deterministic world with no free will, then it does not make sense to say whether individuals can make more (or less) ethical or moral choices, because there are no options available to them except the one they must deterministically follow.

This is silly.
Determinism doesn't hold that choices don't exist - merely that these "choices" are not the kind metaphysical libertarian free will implies ("uncaused" ones). They are, in fact, calculated responses to stimuli. So yes, moral/ethical choices still exist even if one accepts determinism.

Because I hold that people and actions are just products of numerous antecedents at any given moment, i don't hold them to be responsible in any "transcendent" sense (divine punishments/rewards or whatnot).
We must, however, still hold them responsible for violating well-being of others so that they do not continue acting in immoral (read:unfavorable) manner.

A deranged psychopath may be a broken man; he does not have the physical ability to be a good citizen, but is it my fault? No. IS it the fault of society which he oppresses? No. Someone has to go, though, and it won't be the society.
Last edited by Odlov; May 16, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
Yes, there are choices, but under the same circumstances you will always make the same one, hence in effect there isn't really a choice.
Like you said, its all calculated responses to stimuli.

Although, I guess it could be argued that morals and ethics do still exist in a determinsitic world since our view of them will change our response.
Should you take that view then once more it leads you back to determinists != psychopaths i guess.

The rest of your post seems... irrelevant?
The rest of your post seems... irrelevant?

you're face.

Although, I guess it could be argued that morals and ethics do still exist in a determinsitic world since our view of them will change our response.
Should you take that view then once more it leads you back to determinists != psychopaths i guess.

Some are, I'm sure :P
Embrace of determinism is much like embrace of existential nihilism thesis. People respond differently....some may turn into a defeatist pessimist, and some (like me) simply label it irrelevant to human well-being and the function of society, and carry on.
By removing the choice between right and wring, and thus making the concepts of morality and ethics irrelevant do you not make the concept of a psychopath non-existent?

Without morality the psychopaths cannot exist :I You cannot lack something if there is nothing to lack.

Precisely.

If reality is purely deterministic, as you posit, then there are no right or wrong actions, and thus there can be no psychosis.

Without choice, there is only being; opinion of that being is a matter of choice.
He's not "Suicide Do" if he's not banned!