Toribash
Originally Posted by JayStar View Post
It isn't exactly that the world would fall into anarchy but I've heard them say that no one would teach their kids right from wrong. Little kids think it's okay to take from other kids, although harmless, it is a start. They need to be guided on a moral path. Should that path come from religion, does it need to? No... not at all.

Sorry, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I agree with you, there would be essentially no change to the world with religion gone. Actually, I see a more productive, intelligent, and aware world.

It's pointless to try and start a thread expecting logical arguments from religious folk, they are by definition illogical people...
Given that religions predates most known human history, I'm not really sure how debatable this topic is. There's not really any frame of reference for comparison, and while many of us can give our own theories, (most of which will disregard all other contributing factors) there's really no way to qualify how logical any particular view is. All that said, I can't sleep, and there's enough stupid responses here to spur some level of temporary interest.

Before I start, this is the last religion-based debate I'll most likely ever participate in. Aside from nitpicking at inaccurate statements, and outright insulting people for lacking any objectivity in their stance, I've never really had all that much to offer this subject. Due to the finality, and partly as a result of my optimistic views of humanity, I do feel the need to make one last appeal for reason and understanding when dealing with the abstract beliefs of others. (Let's just pretend that this is due to some level of benevolence, rather than the undeniable self-infactuation) It goes without saying, however, that this applies to religion in the sense of personal belief, and not in any particular "organized religion". I suppose I understand some level of conformance for the sake of tradition, and perhaps it's a bit arrogant for me to say, but I just don't see a being that powerful concerning itself with the over-inflated importance we give to human rituals established hundreds or thousands of years ago. (Keeping in mind that if there was a divine presence existent since the dawn of time, hundred or thousands of years would become meaningless by comparison)

Originally Posted by ImmortalCow
It's pointless to try and start a thread expecting logical arguments from religious folk, they are by definition illogical people...

Personally, I tend to identify as a deist when prompted, not because of any need for a higher power to validate the meaning of my existence, but because of my rejection that time is infinite. I reject the notion due to the fact that it's one of those theories that has the advantage of "proven true only if it happens to be true". Humans have a natural expiration date, and as a result, there is nothing that we could ever observe as having "existed forever": without a start or end. This is significant to the topic of religion, because without the assumption that time is infinite, a start to existence becomes a requirement. Based on the fact that existence itself is too complex for humans to ever fully grasp, the only plausible assumption I can really make is that a force outside of our grasp of understanding was the motivating factor. Whether or not you want to take that to mean, "a higher being" or "God" is up to you, but I thought I should let you in on the fact that my belief in something greater is completely based in my own personal logic.

Now, given that my beliefs subsequently reject any divine intervention, or afterlife, it'd probably be pretty accurate to say that my views fall a bit closer to atheism than theism. Even so, I find it a bit silly that you have this retarded notion of superiority against a group people who believe in something you don't based upon their own life experiences and personal logic. Given your apparent authority on the realm of logic, I thought that you might like to explain how your stance is somehow more logical than theirs. That said, please logically explain to me how your belief in atheism (and subsequently, in time being infinite) isn't based in complete faith in the theories established by a group of physicists who's understanding of some of the more minute details of time somehow gave them unwarranted authority in the subject.

Originally Posted by Sacrafan
In general, higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early adult mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy and abortion in the prosperous democracies.

Source

We learn how we need to be in order to be accepted by society the same way a monkey learns it.
If religion takes part in that process or not is irrelevant unless you want to talk about the quality of morals tought with/without religion.

As much fun as skewing statistics and withholding complementary data can be, let's try taking a look at the whole picture real quick. I didn't spend much time reading through your source, mostly because I find no intrinsic value in a biased article that does away with any hint of objectivity. Nonetheless, I'm guessing that it didn't bother mentioning or going into much detail on the regions where "immorality" thrives. It should be noted, however, that the devoutly religious tend to be found in much higher numbers in places where the majority of citizens live well below the poverty line. Interestingly enough, these also happen to be places where the tragedies noted tend the occur in the highest numbers. While I suppose it could be argued that religion is the toxic element involved, I tend to think of it more as an escape from the tragedies of daily living than anything inherently evil.

I did notice that you narrowed the article's argument down to "democracies" near the end, so perhaps you decided to disregard rate of occurrence in your argument. Still, nothing much changes: Religion and "immorality" both thrive as poverty increases. (Prefixing "democracies" with "prosperous" excludes pretty much every existing democracy on this planet, unless you mean "prosperous" by comparison. The problem with that, though, is that it doesn't eliminate the fact that poverty and human rights violations as a result of devaluing human life still exist in these "prosperous" countries) The article you referenced becomes even more inaccurate when you factor in the rate of occurrence of "immorality" as you venture towards more urban environments where economic conditions can vary on a block-by-block basis. For instance, I live in Southern California, which tends to be much more secular and apathetic towards religion than the rest of the country. (A majority, anyways) Despite that fact, you'll probably still find much higher rates of murder, teen pregnancy, rape, and STDs in just the 3 cities neighboring mine than you will in your average Bible-belt state. While most of that is a reflection of the difference in population density, the drastic differences are enough that they disprove much of the misleading article you referenced.

Now as for your actual argument: that our sense of morality is derived solely from our perception of what will make us accepted in society. I suppose if you're so weak-willed an individual that you allow society's status quo to become reflective of what you value, that would end up being true. Personally, my morality is reflective of how much of a joke I can objectively perceive myself to be in doing an act. I'm not delusional enough to think that I'm the exclusion to the standards I hold your average human to, so if I'm going to value something enough to preach the virtues, I can't go against those values without subsequently looking at myself as a, "joke". In your case, if your views accurately reflect how your morality is derived, I highly suggest you start looking into some way of developing some self-reliance and self-respect.

Also, in the future, please don't cheapen a significant real world issue by forcing it into single minded (and preconceived) thinking.

Originally Posted by GoodBox
I'm probably not going to contribute to the discussion outside of this. But the correct statement of this common argument is that without religion there would be no justification for the existence of morals. Not that there would be no morals in existence.

There's a key difference between the two. One implies a philosophical nihilism. The other, common misinterpretation, implies the "chaos and disorder" to which you refer. Modern day theists active in this debate argue the first point, and typically agree that even without religion the world would exist under relative order with subjective morals.

Also my information was obtained by conferences in real life. Hence, I have no source to link for further reading or validation. However, my claims are shared by the third paragraph of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism. Which has it's own sources.

I originally intended to write a response to you after the other two, but the pain of sleep deprivation started to overpower my ability to cognate. At that point, I had no choice but to lay down for a bit, and after spending the last two hours laying awake in bed, mentally writing a five page essay justifying my opposition to nihilism, I just don't have the energy anymore to get into it. I'm not sure if this is true in your case, but most people wouldn't take the time to explain a philosophical concept that they didn't subscribe to. If that assumption proves to be correct for you, I'd be really appreciative if you could repeat that philosophy in the future. (I'd go so far as to ask you to force it where it doesn't belong, simply for the sake of piquing my interest) I did like the way you laid out your explanation, and given how much our (assumed) views contrast on a core level, I could definitely see an interesting debate coming out of it.
Last edited by Juntalis; May 22, 2013 at 12:33 AM.
"Religion is the opium of the people" - Karl Marx
"Slaughter is the b3st medicine"
Originally Posted by Karl Marx
If anything is certain, it is that I myself am not a Marxist.

Cool thing about Karl Marx quotes is how blatantly judgmental they are, coupled with the fact that they were spread across so many subjects. If you look hard enough, you're pretty much guaranteed to find something clever and offensive to the group you target.

Edit: Also, thanks for providing some context to my 7-8 paragraph post on how retarded it is to write off entire groups of people or to approach things with one-sided thinking. I didn't realize I could achieve the same impact with a single biased quote.
Last edited by Juntalis; May 22, 2013 at 01:03 AM.
My post was rather poorly worded and I apologize for that.
The first lines of my post were quotes from the article I linked. I am aware that it is scientificially rather controversial and therefore not of objective value. I chose to ignore that because it is irrelevant for the question of this thread, if religion is essential for ethics and morals.
I merely tried to establish that ethical behaviour and religion don't go hand in hand.

Now to your response to my actual point: I generalized blatantly, mainly because this topic is not very interesting to me.
When I said we learn how we should behave in order to be accepted by society I was refering to Lawrence Kohlberg's stages of moral development which I find to be somewhat accurate.

We obviously have more cognitive abilities to process our surroundings and create an ethical understanding than monkeys do. Our environment does provide what we need in order to form morals and therefore they are reflections of what we perceive.
We can derive our ethical norms from more sophisticated standards once we learned the basics but those norms are dependent (with exceptions of course) on what we were tought through various means.
nigerian PM
Originally Posted by Juntalis View Post
Personally, I tend to identify as a deist when prompted, not because of any need for a higher power to validate the meaning of my existence, but because of my rejection that time is infinite. I reject the notion due to the fact that it's one of those theories that has the advantage of "proven true only if it happens to be true". Humans have a natural expiration date, and as a result, there is nothing that we could ever observe as having "existed forever": without a start or end. This is significant to the topic of religion, because without the assumption that time is infinite, a start to existence becomes a requirement. Based on the fact that existence itself is too complex for humans to ever fully grasp, the only plausible assumption I can really make is that a force outside of our grasp of understanding was the motivating factor. Whether or not you want to take that to mean, "a higher being" or "God" is up to you, but I thought I should let you in on the fact that my belief in something greater is completely based in my own personal logic.

Now, given that my beliefs subsequently reject any divine intervention, or afterlife, it'd probably be pretty accurate to say that my views fall a bit closer to atheism than theism. Even so, I find it a bit silly that you have this retarded notion of superiority against a group people who believe in something you don't based upon their own life experiences and personal logic. Given your apparent authority on the realm of logic, I thought that you might like to explain how your stance is somehow more logical than theirs. That said, please logically explain to me how your belief in atheism (and subsequently, in time being infinite) isn't based in complete faith in the theories established by a group of physicists who's understanding of some of the more minute details of time somehow gave them unwarranted authority in the subject.

Well, it seems like you have made quite a mistaken assumption!
There is no consensus that time is finite or infinite, there are several theories that make various assumptions (for example the big bang theory assumes finiteness) but there are various issues to resolve. "Time is finite" is by no means a scientific fact.

I think it is counterproductive to plainly ignore science without good reason. My own personal experiences have done nothing to prove that time is either finite or infinite. If I had reason to disagree with a scientific theory, I would do so in the correct course, instead of outright saying "nah it's wrong because I think so".

It is logical to accept science for various reasons;
- Scientific theories are vetted and checked many times, peer reviewed and experiments reproduced and recalculated. These results are published in journals and articles. If I wanted I could personally check the results, or I can accept that many other qualified people have reproduced the results and reached consensus.
- Science is built on logic, and argument is allowed and encouraged. Organised religion merely accepts that God exists, or that Adam and Eve lived in the Garden of Eden without allowing any questions or attempts go challenge these 'facts'.

As above, I believe I can finish by answering your question: my agnosticism in the nature of time is aligned with science's agnosticism in the nature of time because I have found no compelling proof or chain of logic that gives me reason to believe otherwise.

Furthermore I think that you accepting that time is infinite just because you don't see any reason for it to be finite is illogical. And I find it absurd that you conclude that there must be "force outside of our grasp of understanding" must exist. Agnosticism towards the nature of time is the stance you should take.
Well this may be very off topic from the thing that people are discussing right now but meh
from the time I was old enough, My mother force our god upon me saying that there is no other god. I believe in him but other people believe in their gods also and I will most likely do the same with my children. People n red something to blame things upon. They need something that explains things for them (IE the greeks and their gods)
Have a great day, thanks for looking at this post I guess.
cnc is an endangered resource
Originally Posted by Sacrafan
My post was rather poorly worded and I apologize for that.
The first lines of my post were quotes from the article I linked. I am aware that it is scientificially rather controversial and therefore not of objective value. I chose to ignore that because it is irrelevant for the question of this thread, if religion is essential for ethics and morals.
I merely tried to establish that ethical behaviour and religion don't go hand in hand.

Now to your response to my actual point: I generalized blatantly, mainly because this topic is not very interesting to me.
When I said we learn how we should behave in order to be accepted by society I was refering to Lawrence Kohlberg's stages of moral development which I find to be somewhat accurate.

We obviously have more cognitive abilities to process our surroundings and create an ethical understanding than monkeys do. Our environment does provide what we need in order to form morals and therefore they are reflections of what we perceive.
We can derive our ethical norms from more sophisticated standards once we learned the basics but those norms are dependent (with exceptions of course) on what we were tought through various means.

My attack on your view was wholly unjustified and preconceived. Had I bothered to read past your first sentence and the subsequent link that followed, I'd have realized that the view expressed in the article mentioned were not necessarily the same views that you were trying to relate.

I wanted to make a point of emphasizing that bit to train away my first impulse to your response. (Which would be, "Hey, just accept the concession, even if you think you're wrong in hindsight") To be honest, I came into this thread anticipating someone giving the argument expressed in your source. (Which was essentially trying to make a connection between rate of occurence of "immorality" and how religious a region is) When your first sentence and source suited that anticipation, I proceeded to force your entire view into a box that matched my preconceived argument. That was pretty hypocritical of me, in hindsight, so I'm sorry for that. Your generalization painted a realistic view on the majority of the population, and since it didn't target a specific group of people, I can't really see it as toxic. In my eyes, you probably did the issue more justice than most of the people responding.

Well, it seems like you have made quite a mistaken assumption!
There is no consensus that time is finite or infinite, there are several theories that make various assumptions (for example the big bang theory assumes finiteness) but there are various issues to resolve. "Time is finite" is by no means a scientific fact.

Your assumptions would make sense if the Big Bang theory was a theory regarding the creation of existence, and not what it actually is. (Which is the creation of the universe) By its definition, it asserts that existence was in place prior. If that wasn't the case, what elements would make up the chemical reaction that resulted in the rapid expansion of our known universe?

To be honest, I really only wanted to make a point of apologizing to Sacrafan for my perceived hypocrisy. I'm having a hard time caring about arguing with you, so any argument I come up with at this point is going to be pretty contrived. I'll probably have a vested interest in trying to force some sort of "logical loop" to get you to shut up and leave me alone for a bit. I'd rather avoid that sort of scenario, so give me a few hours to do some other things, and I'll see about getting myself interested again when I finish.

Edit: Actually, that Differences post reminded me why I don't bother to post anymore, so I think I'm pretty much done with these forums for another few months. Kids are inherently stupid, and expecting their arguments, philosophies, and subjects of importance to not reflect that is borderline retarded.

Gorman, while I don't view your way of thinking as anything acceptable, I can objectively say that your way of thinking is a bit more educated and mature than most of the people posting on these threads, so it would be a bit rude of me to not at least somewhat engage you before I take off. That said:

I've already covered why your understanding of the Big Bang theory is inaccurate. It occurred to me, though, that our understanding of existence and lack of existence may not match, so perhaps it'd be better if we established that before I continue. Understand that to me, lack of existence is not the same thing as emptiness. For existence not to be established, you're left with a plane that has no potential for anything to exist. That is to say, it's not necessarily emptiness, because nothing could ever be placed in it. With that concept in mind, how does one go from anti-something to something?

Personally, my beliefs are all a product of, "what is the most reasonable conclusion I can come to at this time". By establishing my beliefs as such, I'm afforded the flexibility of changing my beliefs if my logic changes, or if I receive new information. Unfortunately though, it makes it impossible for me to write off anyone else's beliefs, because without knowing whether or not my beliefs are true, who the fuck am I to judge the credibility of theirs? I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you shape your beliefs the same way, but you destroy that possibility when you say things like:

Originally Posted by Gorman

By classifying an entire group of people as illogical, you've now asserted that you have the logical and correct answers, and that their answers are incorrect and illogical. As a result, the burden is now on you to give the right answers, or face looking like a completely arrogant piece of shit. I also should note that by defining oneself as an atheist, you establish that there is no greater force than what's already been established to exist. Agnostics have the luxury of saying, "We don't know, but we don't think a god exists." Atheism, on the other hand, is the belief that, "There is no god." You've now locked yourself in a small box of reason, where your belief cannot change, without you having to admit that you were completely wrong and unjustified in judgement of anyone else. To be honest, this is why I have a hard time taking anything you say anymore seriously, and why I'm more inclined to just write you off as, "someone with the belief system of a naive teenager."

I think it is counterproductive to plainly ignore science without good reason. My own personal experiences have done nothing to prove that time is either finite or infinite. If I had reason to disagree with a scientific theory, I would do so in the correct course, instead of outright saying "nah it's wrong because I think so".

I would agree that it's counterproductive to ignore science. There should, however, be a distinction between what is considered science and what is essentially a scientist's opinion.

- Scientific theories are vetted and checked many times, peer reviewed and experiments reproduced and recalculated. These results are published in journals and articles. If I wanted I could personally check the results, or I can accept that many other qualified people have reproduced the results and reached consensus.

Except that the theories proposed by physicists for "infinite time" are not backed by any proof. At all. They basically explain it as, "Well, this is our best guess, since we can't think of any way for time to start on its own." As easy as trusting the guesses of someone else may be, it's never been something that my personality will allow for. I have to establish something as reasonable and understandable before I can view it as correct.

Science is built on logic, and argument is allowed and encouraged. Organised religion merely accepts that God exists, or that Adam and Eve lived in the Garden of Eden without allowing any questions or attempts go challenge these 'facts'.

Incorrect and unjustifiable biased. Quakers, (if you didn't know, a sect of Christianity) for example, encourage their believers to question the belief. It's a religion where there is no "preacher", and where the average meeting is actually just a discussion of ideas and beliefs, where patrons have a vested interest in challenging their own beliefs. Their entire belief is based on the idea that, "You should have a personal belief, and not one based on a predefined template". Given that you were unaware of that fact, it leads me to think that you haven't even bothered to do any research on the beliefs that you so vehemently oppose. Again, you're a fucking joke.

Logic is a term that you should think critically about before using. Based on the fact that none of us are machines, we are incapable of completely objective logic. This is the exact reason why my logic of, "Hey, maybe I shouldn't speak ill of other beliefs if I don't know mine is correct" ends up being different from your logic of, "I'M RIGHT AND EVERYONE ELSE IS STUPID". This is why I prefer to use the word, "reasonable" when describing the practicality of a particular tree of thought.

Understand that as human beings, scientists are subject to the same weaknesses of character as the rest of us. No human is infallible, and setting a lower burden of proof for a scientist just kind of shows that you're applying the same blind faith as any theist - you're just applying it to someone with a degree, rather than some abstract deity. (From my perspective, that's an even greater crime to intellect, because at least theists can sculpt the personality of their deity)

As above, I believe I can finish by answering your question: my agnosticism in the nature of time is aligned with science's agnosticism in the nature of time because I have found no compelling proof or chain of logic that gives me reason to believe otherwise.

Again, that just doesn't work. You can't say someone else is "illogical", and then turn around and say, "I don't know the right answer". At least, you can't do that without first explaining why a particular view is illogical. Since theism is a blanket term for anyone who believes in an omnipresent deity, you'd literally have to break down why each particular religion is illogical. As I told you during our last debate, you're not anything special, and therefore you're subject to the same burden of proof as everyone else. To my knowledge, science has never explicitly stated, "All religions are wrong." Since you've asserted that fact, you can't turn around and hide behind science at this point without looking retarded.

Furthermore I think that you accepting that time is infinite just because you don't see any reason for it to be finite is illogical. And I find it absurd that you conclude that there must be "force outside of our grasp of understanding" must exist. Agnosticism towards the nature of time is the stance you should take.

I'm pretty sure I said that I believe, "time is finite". Still, I guess your argument sort of applies. I'm afraid this is more a result of my personality, and is one of the big reasons I base my beliefs the way I do. (With flexibility for being wrong and changing) I'm not just going to accept, "I have no answer" for something. Instead, I'll work out the most reasonable answer for myself, and if circumstances change at a later date, I'll re-evaluate my beliefs. I spend at least a day every year challenging my current beliefs, and seeing if there's a different answer I can come to. I'm also not so arrogant to think that my beliefs five years from today will reflect my beliefs of today. (Mostly because there's yet to be a point in my life where I didn't hate the "me" of 5 years prior) Maybe if you weren't so insecure about the prospect of being wrong, you could employ a similar strategy.

Lastly, I wanted to work this in somewhere, but forgot until now. There's a reason why I can't just accept that existence sprung up out of nowhere, and why I can't accept that time is infinite. Our knowledge up until this point can be boiled down to a single model: cause and effect. With that in mind, "infinite" seems like a complete cop-out. Furthermore, existence would require a force outside of our understanding to establish, or would occur spontaneously. With "cause and effect" in mind, nothing can truly be categorized as, "spontaneous".

Anyways, before our next debate, could you please take the time to do a bit more research. Before establishing the belief I eventually came to, I took the time to read up on every sect of religion I could find, and I suggest you do the same. At least then you might have something interesting to say instead of the same recycled philosophies that every other loud atheist tries to preach.

After the Fact: I just wanted to give an explanation on why I think the way I come to my beliefs is a bit more beneficial in the long run. By utilizing "agnosticism" in parts of your belief, you consequently assert that rest of your beliefs to be correct. That may not be your end goal, mind you, but it's the result of differentiating what parts of your beliefs you don't know. In the audience's mind, you've now asserted that the remainder of your beliefs are what you know. Since knowing something is asserting something is factual, it leaves you with very little flexibility.

After the Fact (2): Also, I don't want to do that whole, "GETTING THE LAST WORD" thing, so if you feel like responding, I'll go ahead and read it. I've done the best job I can do of explaining my point, though, so I probably wont give much (if any) of a response, since I don't see much value in 3 pages of us repeating the same point in different words.
Last edited by Juntalis; May 23, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
Your assumptions would make sense if the Big Bang theory was a theory regarding the creation of existence, and not what it actually is. (Which is the creation of the universe) By its definition, it asserts that existence was in place prior. If that wasn't the case, what elements would make up the chemical reaction that resulted in the rapid expansion of our known universe?

I make no assumptions. I am stating a fact that big bang theory only holds if finiteness is assumed. You can read more on the wikipedia pages on the 'big bang' or on 'time'.

- Edited out the part where you complain -

I've already covered why your understanding of the Big Bang theory is inaccurate. It occurred to me, though, that our understanding of existence and lack of existence may not match, so perhaps it'd be better if we established that before I continue. Understand that to me, lack of existence is not the same thing as emptiness. For existence not to be established, you're left with a plane that has no potential for anything to exist. That is to say, it's not necessarily emptiness, because nothing could ever be placed in it. With that concept in mind, how does one go from anti-something to something?

I think it's best if we stick to dictionary definitions.
Before the big bang the universe was so energetic that particles could not exist. During the inflationary epoch period the energies cooled and eventually particles were formed. In other words, before the big bang there was energy. I don't like the way you twist words instead of simply stating it outright, although you aren't speaking plainly I can see some parallels between your definitions and the actual definitions associated with the big bang.
To answer your final question, the universe went from high energy to low energy + particles, conservation of energy was maintained across the system.

Personally, my beliefs are all a product of, "what is the most reasonable conclusion I can come to at this time". By establishing my beliefs as such, I'm afforded the flexibility of changing my beliefs if my logic changes, or if I receive new information. Unfortunately though, it makes it impossible for me to write off anyone else's beliefs, because without knowing whether or not my beliefs are true, who the fuck am I to judge the credibility of theirs? I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you shape your beliefs the same way, but you destroy that possibility when you say things like:

By classifying an entire group of people as illogical, you've now asserted that you have the logical and correct answers, and that their answers are incorrect and illogical. As a result, the burden is now on you to give the right answers, or face looking like a completely arrogant piece of shit. I also should note that by defining oneself as an atheist, you establish that there is no greater force than what's already been established to exist. Agnostics have the luxury of saying, "We don't know, but we don't think a god exists." Atheism, on the other hand, is the belief that, "There is no god." You've now locked yourself in a small box of reason, where your belief cannot change, without you having to admit that you were completely wrong and unjustified in judgement of anyone else. To be honest, this is why I have a hard time taking anything you say anymore seriously, and why I'm more inclined to just write you off as, "someone with the belief system of a naive teenager."

Logic is not a synonym for 'absolute truth'.

While we cannot be sure God does not exist, we can say that there is a high probability that he doesn't, enough to operate under the assumption that there is no God. You misunderstand atheism if you think it is merely blind faith in a conclusion. Agnosticism (in any sense) merely says that there is not enough information to even make a guess as to the odds of something. Atheism says the odds fall against, whereas theism claims the odds are favourable.

I would agree that it's counterproductive to ignore science. There should, however, be a distinction between what is considered science and what is essentially a scientist's opinion.

Of course. However such a distinction has no bearing over this conversation... I think kittens are quite cute.

Except that the theories proposed by physicists for "infinite time" are not backed by any proof. At all. They basically explain it as, "Well, this is our best guess, since we can't think of any way for time to start on its own." As easy as trusting the guesses of someone else may be, it's never been something that my personality will allow for. I have to establish something as reasonable and understandable before I can view it as correct.

As I previously said, there is no proof either way, and as I said previously, science's official stance on the nature of time is agnosticism, and it's unlikely this will ever change.

I don't know why you suddenly jump in with "NO BUT THERES NO PROOF" when I never said there was any...

Incorrect and unjustifiable biased. Quakers, (if you didn't know, a sect of Christianity) for example, encourage their believers to question the belief. It's a religion where there is no "preacher", and where the average meeting is actually just a discussion of ideas and beliefs, where patrons have a vested interest in challenging their own beliefs. Their entire belief is based on the idea that, "You should have a personal belief, and not one based on a predefined template". Given that you were unaware of that fact, it leads me to think that you haven't even bothered to do any research on the beliefs that you so vehemently oppose. Again, you're a fucking joke.

Funny that you claim a 'sect of Christianity' has no 'predefined template', a denomination that entirely believes in the Abrahamic God and Jesus have no template? 0.005% of the Earth's population identify as a "Quaker", do you really think such a tiny example holds weight?

Logic is a term that you should think critically about before using. Based on the fact that none of us are machines, we are incapable of completely objective logic. This is the exact reason why my logic of, "Hey, maybe I shouldn't speak ill of other beliefs if I don't know mine is correct" ends up being different from your logic of, "I'M RIGHT AND EVERYONE ELSE IS STUPID". This is why I prefer to use the word, "reasonable" when describing the practicality of a particular tree of thought.

Completely objective logic is impossible for a human, but acting completely illogical is definitely possible.
Just because we can't have perfect logic doesn't mean we should settle for "herp derp my personal experience overrules thousands of qualified scientists and hundreds if not thousands of years of study".

Understand that as human beings, scientists are subject to the same weaknesses of character as the rest of us. No human is infallible, and setting a lower burden of proof for a scientist just kind of shows that you're applying the same blind faith as any theist - you're just applying it to someone with a degree, rather than some abstract deity. (From my perspective, that's an even greater crime to intellect, because at least theists can sculpt the personality of their deity)

Once again, scientific method is not "I am a scientist and this is what I think". I'm not going to repeat myself, so please stop with these stupid arguments, you know it isn't true so why do you say it?

Again, that just doesn't work. You can't say someone else is "illogical", and then turn around and say, "I don't know the right answer".

In my pocket there is a billion golden gryphon statues, each the size of Venus. YOU CAN'T SAY THAT IS ILLOGICAL BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IS ACTUALLY IN MY POCKET.

You are like those kids in the art subforum who say "you can't criticize my art because you can't do any better!"
At least, you can't do that without first explaining why a particular view is illogical. Since theism is a blanket term for anyone who believes in an omnipresent deity, you'd literally have to break down why each particular religion is illogical. As I told you during our last debate, you're not anything special, and therefore you're subject to the same burden of proof as everyone else. To my knowledge, science has never explicitly stated, "All religions are wrong." Since you've asserted that fact, you can't turn around and hide behind science at this point without looking retarded.

I like how you just assume that all religions, despite asserting their own particular competing mythologies, are somehow immune to the requirement to produce a burden of proof.

A basic tenant of logic is that one cannot be asked to prove a negative. It is impossible for me to disprove God. However considering the complete absence of evidence to support his existence, it can be asserted that it is extremely unlikely that he exists.

I am very well entitled to ask for proof of other people's assertions. If they do not produce proof, I am entitled to say their assertion is likely to be false.

Juntalis logic:
Kid 1: "I have an invisible pet dog"
Kid 2: "Prove it"
Kid 1: "You're subject to the same burden of proof as everyone else. I am not required to produce any evidence, however you must disprove it."
Kid 2: "It is impossible for me to prove that you do not have an invisible pet dog, therefore you do have an invisible pet dog."

Conventional logic:
Kid 1: "I have an invisible pet dog"
Kid 2: "Prove it"
Kid 1: "I have no proof"
Kid 2: "Then I conclude that it is extremely unlikely that you have an invisible pet dog."

I'm pretty sure I said that I believe, "time is finite". Still, I guess your argument sort of applies. I'm afraid this is more a result of my personality, and is one of the big reasons I base my beliefs the way I do. (With flexibility for being wrong and changing) I'm not just going to accept, "I have no answer" for something. Instead, I'll work out the most reasonable answer for myself, and if circumstances change at a later date, I'll re-evaluate my beliefs. I spend at least a day every year challenging my current beliefs, and seeing if there's a different answer I can come to. I'm also not so arrogant to think that my beliefs five years from today will reflect my beliefs of today. (Mostly because there's yet to be a point in my life where I didn't hate the "me" of 5 years prior) Maybe if you weren't so insecure about the prospect of being wrong, you could employ a similar strategy.

There is nothing wrong with an agnostic stance if it is warranted. There is no compelling proof either way that time is finite or infinite. Why do I have to take a random guess just so you don't insult me?

If you don't have evidence, you shouldn't just randomly guess.
Lastly, I wanted to work this in somewhere, but forgot until now. There's a reason why I can't just accept that existence sprung up out of nowhere, and why I can't accept that time is infinite. Our knowledge up until this point can be boiled down to a single model: cause and effect. With that in mind, "infinite" seems like a complete cop-out. Furthermore, existence would require a force outside of our understanding to establish, or would occur spontaneously. With "cause and effect" in mind, nothing can truly be categorized as, "spontaneous".

Luckily even if time was finite, that doesn't mean cause and effect does not hold.

For example, if M-theory proves correct, time is just 1 out of 11 dimensions. It would be trivial to imagine an event in another dimension causing the beginning of time. It seems your thinking has been limited by your knowledge of physics. Which is why I suggest you leave it up to the people who are more qualified.
Anyways, before our next debate, could you please take the time to do a bit more research. Before establishing the belief I eventually came to, I took the time to read up on every sect of religion I could find, and I suggest you do the same. At least then you might have something interesting to say instead of the same recycled philosophies that every other loud atheist tries to preach.

Could you please learn some basic logic and learn to use a dictionary AT THE VERY LEAST? -_-;
After the Fact: I just wanted to give an explanation on why I think the way I come to my beliefs is a bit more beneficial in the long run. By utilizing "agnosticism" in parts of your belief, you consequently assert that rest of your beliefs to be correct. That may not be your end goal, mind you, but it's the result of differentiating what parts of your beliefs you don't know. In the audience's mind, you've now asserted that the remainder of your beliefs are what you know. Since knowing something is asserting something is factual, it leaves you with very little flexibility.

In the long run I think logic will win over feelings. Judging the nature of time based on your opinion is fine since it's not really going to affect you, but maybe one day there will be a cyclone warning, and you will not bother to react because "in my opinion it will be fine". You should accept that there are people more qualified than a guy who randomly reads wikipedia pages.

In summary:
- There is no need to change the definitions of words, the dictionary definitions will suffice thanks.
- Basic logic should be adhered to at all times.
- Religions are not immune to 'logic' or the 'burden of proof'.
- Objective facts are extremely difficult to establish, so scientific facts merely have high probabilities of correctness.
- Scientific facts are not formed just because of one scientist's opinion.
- Atheism is not merely the belief that "there is no God". It is the rejection of theism.
- Interjecting random insults in to your post is not only against the ToS, forum rules and subforum rules, it is also very rude.
Originally Posted by NormalCitizen View Post
I will say one thing about this:

Were it not for the bible, the plebeian mongoloids of the time would have raped and butchered each other into extinction, since their fairytales didn't tell them that raping and killing is bad.

Sure, it has been proven that humans are "naturally good" like all other animals, but humans are really stupid; especially peasants of the biblical times.

All Gorman and Juntalis banter aside, I'm surprised nobody ripped into this post.

If we use your logic, humans should have went extinct before the Bible was even written. Humanity has a history well over tens of thousands of years older than the first written publication of the Bible. Several populations of the world went for almost an extra two thousand years without the Bible even when it was published. None of said populations went extinct because of butchering their own population for the hell of it. Heck, even cultures based around almost permanent war like the Maori's of New Zealand didn't kill themselves off.

To argue that the Bible somehow instilled self-preservation into a population and miraculously turned around said culture from a path of inevitable extinction to salvation is amazingly short-sighted and rather ignorant. There's an ingrained instinct to promote survival and proliferation of one's own species, including humans, without justification needed from a supposedly bearded, old, white guy sitting on a cloud or his carpenter-turned-messiah-turned-zombie-messiah son.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games