Toribash
Originally Posted by Hxcbbqimo View Post
And what can you do to give advice about others trying to play turtleshu

Yes, watch where your limbs are already going and try to roll with that, being careful NOT to max out rotation either direction except during a cb with lots of pressure on the limb pushing off, or during an attack that is sure to hit. What I mean by that is, don't extend one pec and contract the other and rotate the chest, etc, leaving no ability to push farther in that direction: such actions make you far too predictable, and in reality it's not needed in most cases to completely max it out. When I first started playing relaxed I would do that all the time because it made my limbs flail quickly, but it leaves only one or two options which isn't good, and when rotation is maxed it causes a delay before direction can be switched. Also, really important to relaxed style is the ability to setup without settling, and allowing the joints to absorb some of the upward pressure while simultaneously accentuating the forward movement of a limb. Sometimes the fastest, most powerful cb is one cb, then another hit on the floor to redirect and/or add power. See the cb exercise.
Attached Files
4500_1k.rpl (62.0 KB, 18 views)
Does anybody know any tips for not over or under rotating whilst mid-air leaving your head vulnerable?

Often times a longer ED jump for CB is time saving or at least a lot easier, but even though I'm not really high for the gravity's standards, I feel super lacking control of head protection. Anyone have tips on helping with this?

As bad ass as it is to be StabberZ and run head first into you only to hit you and outscore you, it's completely not my playstyle to be so overtly aggressive.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Well as you know, fanning limbs put spreads the rotation out a bit slowing it. Just like pulling arms and legs in quickens it, if frictionon the body (airbraking) doesn't come into play. So, the way to avoid that is to begin the longer jump with a bit more contracted or balled up body, so you can slow it down by extending limbs and allowing relaxed joints to absorb some rotation.
-----
That's how I think of it anyway, though abviously don't go all extended or all contracted in either part, as that reduces options heavily. Of course, i just avoid longer ed jumps entirely in most cases, because I feel you lose a lot of fine control that only contact with the floor can provide.
Last edited by rcarey; Jul 26, 2013 at 02:21 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
This sounds interesting; however having more interview styled posts from eg. those 4 in the first post would also be nice where we could use a layout similar to:

1. a few lines about the player, why he/she plays etc.
2. what he/she prioritizes and why (general)
3. how one would tackle a cb, how to set up
4. deeper insight on ones personal style; aiming, focusing on head, or to make someone dq etc.

If we could summarize a few players into posts/interviews like this it would provide a handy read for those who wishes to adapt/broaden their play style and advance or just learn something new / handy; and it would provide a nice ground from which further discussion and analyzation could be done.

And hax: (now I might be a bit harsh on vordo) why do you think vordo of all players were/is spinning much? I'd go as far as saying deppy spins alot more frequently and effective than vordo, and that eg. Hippy and tonos may perhaps not build up as much momentum in their spins as I try to do; yet they utilize it flawlessly as if they could see their move develop 150tf into the future, whilst I and deppy (one again generalizing) try to 1) not act as sitting ducks and hence try to alter our time in the air and 2) focus on our own race rather than matching our opponents speed and or style.

That said I would like to rise the question to all of TW; do you believe that one should adapt to the opponents style or run ones own style through and mostly ignore your opponent?
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
Ignoring the opponent is never an option. You speak as if using a style prevents one from reacting. If anything, the opponent needs to be factored in more for good stylish play. Pressure changes from blocks and hits have to be taken into consideration. That necessitates analyzing the opponent. The thing about syles is, they put a player into the same or close to the same positions, so the player learns virtually all the little tweaks that can change speed and timing, making them much more precise in those positions. So, there's a lot to be said for style as a method of improving. Your question to all
Of tw doesn't make sense with an "or" in it.
"do you believe that one should adapt to the opponents style or run ones own style through and mostly ignore your opponent?"

It depends how one personally wishes to look at a situation, or the game as a whole. There's not really a right or wrong answer for this one I believe. You should theoretically adapt for an individual play-style, so that you can counter with ease, but your own base style should hit harder, be more accurate, or more defensive. It's really just about mixing it up, and using what ever style best fits the criterion/criteria of countering that specific opponent.

I recently watched a video in which Hax interviewed Nuthug. A lot of what Nuthug said, about moving with your opponent, using their intentions against them, and if you want to spice things up, try and do things which at the time seem ridiculous for the circumstance/s, but will overall end with you learning something and improving.

Either work with or against your opponent, it's up to whom ever is playing. There are pros and cons for both.

I personally like to mess with my opponent, and go about my own business at my own leisure, but everyone have their own mindset, and that is how they might play.
oyyy whadda nice thread. i can spread my poor and useless understanding of wushu here ?? ok=3
as u all know im realy not the best player, but if there is one thing im good at , its floating airtime and maybe unconventional comebacks ... mostly. also most things i try to aply in my games are allready said (mostly by rcturtle) f/e the spin thing. at the beginnig i used also the total directions (extend one pec contract the other, same with hips and glutes) but that leaves no space for more to come, also if u do this while comebacking, all the spin will be gone by when u reach the oponent.
else what i can say is, that im not realy a fan of the crabstance comeback because it needs so long for setting it up. instead i try to adapt to the most likely outcome of the contact and planing the chase allready ( as in "go with the flow"). this makes me end up doing all sorts of combacks except the crab, but then again leaves me vurnurable pretty often but capable of chaseing pretty fast after contact is over.
i started the whole wushu thing with wushu fixed, wich made me learn the hard way not to contract or extend legs or arms to the max :3 and im pretty much stuck with that playstyle eversince. means i rather choose the slower spin, the slower comeback or the not so hard hit for beeing able to go on afterwards. also i somehow choose to do more "realistic" movements because for the fun of it. doing this for such a long time gave me some little ideas for certain situations like for example if it comes to a snapkick, i almost allways relax the ankle, wich makes it 99% of the times faster. and if there is movetime left, i even bend the whole weight of tori into it as far as possible. ikr that a good (and stylish) gameplay depends much on the change of hold and lax, but i choose the lax more often because it makes for quick and easy turns (not spins). the floating again. if airborn, i also mostly relax all when im traveling towards oponent for then i can line up as good as possible for whatever might be coming my way. then i try to stay out of reach of hands and feet and be waiting for a hole, close to oponent. but i guess that shows often what i am planing to do...
ok and here is a new thing i resently started to count in in my gameplay. the difference between the extreme position of a joint and the hold state wich makes for a nice bounce if applied right. u can see this when u change from a complex overall jointstate to hold all while stable on the ground. its not that ther come uber moves out of it, but the fine adjustment when u finished doing the planed move does funny things wich can add up for good.
again i know well that im not amongst the best wushuers, but when im in the mindstate of flow(pun totaly intended :3 ) there is no stopping me =P
funny fact about my playstyle: i lose to whitebelts but i was allways able to give Begotten a good challenge. he once said that with my apearence in wushu comunity he felt that the gameplay of wushu changed.
Last edited by Pliskien; Dec 30, 2013 at 07:30 PM.