Ranking
Original Post
Mod Editor Creator Competition
Ok, so I'm not too sure if anyone will be interested in this, but I hope it will give some people a little motivation.

MOD EDITOR CREATOR COMPETITION

It is your goal to make a mod editor, either as a lua script add-on for toribash, or as an external application, with the winner being judged either by a poll, or by the public)
It must have the following features:
  • It must have a 3D viewport (or atleast have top, side and frontal viewports).
  • It must support both Environment Objects and Environment Joints. (Visual Editing of tori and uke would get you bonus points).
  • You must be able to edit visually, without the need to change the mod code directly (rotate, move, scale), a properties panel for stuff such as mass and colour should be used.
What am I looking for?
  • Ease of use.
  • A good alternative to using text files / worldbuilder.lua
  • WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get, Looks the same in the editor as in game)
  • Multi-platform preferred :P
Entering:
  • There is no entrance fee.
  • You may submit however many entries you want.
  • Pm me if you are going to make a mod creator (even if it is not finished)
  • I will then pm you back when I determine a deadline and any other updates to the competition, you may then pm me with your submissions and any updates when necessary.
  • Source code is required at this moment in time due to the source code rule, but may this rule may be changed in the not to distant future. The source code will not be released to the public if you do not want it to, just to one of the people on the list.
Reference List (If you don't know how to mod):The deadline has not currently been set, and you may submit any entries to me at any time

Prize*
-----------
200k!
200,000tc
+
July
Toribooster
50 Pack

-----------

this tourney is not a promo-team tourney, I am doing this of my own accord.
This competition will end when I think enough entries have been entered (or if one great entry is entered that is totally awesome).

Feel free to revive this if it dies (which it most likely will)

* = Prize may change if tourney is revived.

Update 1:
Added some preferences, I would also recommend reading the comments as there is some good suggestions :P

Last edited by Blam; Aug 5, 2009 at 08:38 AM.
:D
So is there going to be a rule that if its going to be a Third-Party Program there must be versions for multiple platforms?

EDIT: Nvm, i looked at the first post.
Rawrawrawr, Ima Psy >:U
Shop | Replays
Nice....

unofrtunatly i cnat, cuase i dont know how to lua, only mod. ill see if i can spread the word though.
- its been a while
i hope someone does a good job with this. it was an excellent idea.

just too bad i dont know a thing about lua. o.o
poo
im not worring about participants, the 100k prize will draw in people from all over.

i even want the prize... but i dont know how to lua.

blam, is it ok if you put a link to the competition like:

Make a lua script for 100k

i think that would get alot of attention.
- its been a while
I guess I should start learning how to mod >.>
every ten seconds I kill 7 puppies. The only way to prevent this is by clicking this savin' puppies
This would be something for a toribash programmer him/herself to do. That person would know EVERYTHING about the game, so a editor would be a peice of cake to them, im sure. But will they do it? They probably wont attempt it nearly as much as trying to implement 4 players online. This is a sad sad true fact...
Rawrawrawr, Ima Psy >:U
Shop | Replays
i disagree. theirs flaws in most of your guys reasoning.

easy things first:
@psyfon: i doubt it... world edter was made right? so all you need to do is edit it for more capabilities.

now lets tackle that big rant of yours timuchen:
1-st. "Player creator" - nothing special, working only with standart parameters for joint/body.

possible, but has limitations. for instance, the knee joint is going to get you major trouble. currently, theirs no way to fix it, and the only solution is to make the theighs a box.

What i think will be useful here is ability to change parameters symmetrically for symmetrical joints/bodies (by checking some flag) ... (though needs some mathematics, but easy one).

agreed, you just need a "copy symettrical button"

Plus whole player position changing ( just changing pos parameter of each joint/body) and whole body rotation (needs some mathematics to combine position and rotation changing around groin's center).
Changing whole player position has nothing common with "distance" game rule.

playerpos and playerposrot takes care of all of that for you. look at zipline to see how it works

2-nd. "Player poser" - there are like two changable parameters here - joint number and rotation angle (and also symmetrical changing has to be).
The purpose of this module (tab) is to change joint/body position according to range it can be changed in game. Another words you click on knee joint and see slidebar with minimum and maximum values this joint can be rotated.
By this i mean changing joint rotation effects on all dependent on it joints and bodies (like changing knee rotation affects on leg, ankle and foot) and also changes this joint range.
Or even simpler - this is what Melmoth is trying to do in his "Stance script".

this idea is pretty much scratched, due to the fact that the axis command is all bool. it HAS to be either directly up, or along the x or y axis. in other words, all joints will cut/and dry, the only changes that you'll be able to do will be like right angles, such as making the elbows stick out.

3-rd. "Environment creator" - similar to Player creator with the difference that automatic number assignment for objects is needed (cause they maybe added or deleted unlike player ones). Also for a group rotation, geometrical center calculation is needed.
And one more - cause environment bodies are not connected with each other according to thier names (like player bodies are) there manual connection has to be.

the grouping is good, but connecting will proabbly be based on joints. either that, or by manual, non-permanent grouping.

4-th. "Environment poser" - similar to Player poser with difference that it's working with env_joints

impractical, same reason as the 2nd one

5-th. Game rules. Works with all gamerules parameters.

sure, why not? but itd be almost exactly the same as typing them out in the code... but i suppose this means that no-one will ever have to use notepad again.
---------------------------------------------------------

i think the most reasonable desgin is an upgrade of worldbuider to edit:
joints
friction
joust
bounce
player objects
symmetrical maker.
grouping object
player joint strength, range, speed, axis.
mayby gamerules if you have time
zoom function, becuase some mods are big, and some need to be delicate
objects spawn in middle of uke and tori.... this should be easy
small intervals, large intervals, and really big intervals.
- its been a while