Toribash
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
I'd say, instead of fit being used to define physical prowess, it, in the context of todays society, means rational.
Now then, egoism holds that the rational interests of men do not clash—that there is no conflict of interests among men who do not desire the unearned, who do not make sacrifices nor accept them, who deal with one another as traders, giving value for value (quid pro quo).
Now, Ayn Rand wrote in one of her books the following;
"Do not confuse altruism with kindness, good will or respect for the rights of others. These are not primaries, but consequences, which, in fact, altruism makes impossible. The irreducible primary of altruism, the basic absolute, is self-sacrifice—which means; self-immolation, self-abnegation, self-denial, self-destruction—which means: the self as a standard of evil, the selfless as a standard of the good."
Something to chew on.

Nom'd on that for a couple of minutes, and here's what I have in return.

First, is Rand referring to an altruism which claims as its paradigm the person who gives completely from the self without regard to the self? That's just irresponsible self-destruction, and ultimately destroys the self and the community, so that kind of altruism isn't kindness, good-will, or respect. I'm not even entirely sure if the ideal of altruism I've adopted is true altruism or not, or if it has a different name -- I just know it isn't selflessness in the dictionary or traditional sense. Labels can come later, though, after that's sorted out.

Secondly: By determining the rational as being those most fit to survive in modern society, and the ultimate scale of value being based on an objective, rational basis, does that mean that those who are not rational are of a lower value than their rational companions? Or are they simply people who are less fit to survive?

The latter, perhaps, could connote that they are of lower value?
"Well, I don't want to leave you alone. I want you to get mad!"
Originally Posted by Elkrazar View Post
First, is Rand referring to an altruism which claims as its paradigm the person who gives completely from the self without regard to the self? That's just irresponsible self-destruction, and ultimately destroys the self and the community, so that kind of altruism isn't kindness, good-will, or respect.

That's the common definition we objectivists use for altruism. Because anything that isn't that, is not true altruism.
Secondly: By determining the rational as being those most fit to survive in modern society, and the ultimate scale of value being based on an objective, rational basis, does that mean that those who are not rational are of a lower value than their rational companions? Or are they simply people who are less fit to survive?

They, through my objectivist lenses, are less valuable than those who are rational. And probably, as a result of them being irrational, they wouldn't be as capable to survive in this world.
The latter, perhaps, could connote that they are of lower value?

Yes.
[doc]
That's the common definition we objectivists use for altruism. Because anything that isn't that, is not true altruism.

Alright, I can understand that. Now to go term-hunting, heh.

They, through my objectivist lenses, are less valuable than those who are rational. And probably, as a result of them being irrational, they wouldn't be as capable to survive in this world.

So their potential for survival is the sole measuring factor of their value? Would figures such as Mother Theresa count as being less valuable, as they spent most of their lives in charity?
Ah, that's where I was confused. Webster's says altruism is

1 : unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others
2 : behavior by an animal that is not beneficial to or may be harmful to itself but that benefits others of its species

As far as I can see expecting someone to work for the well-being of others would be futile if that person is incapable of surviving. Altruistic tendencies wouldn't get passed on by dead animals.

Seems like arguing against "true" altruism isn't really worth it if it's defined in such a useless way. It's like hunting a bird with clipped wings.
[Inq]
Need help with anything? Have a question? PM me! I'll try my best to help you.
So their potential for survival is the sole measuring factor of their value? Would figures such as Mother Theresa count as being less valuable, as they spent most of their lives in charity?

Yes.
Also, on the topic of Mother Teresa, for all the supposed good she's done, she's done some terrible things as well. She's accepted stolen money, advocated anti-abortion and she as a devout catholic.
[doc]
Yes.
Also, on the topic of Mother Teresa, for all the supposed good she's done, she's done some terrible things as well. She's accepted stolen money, advocated anti-abortion and she as a devout catholic.

First: A devout Catholic I can live with, the second I won't start on (threads get derailed on heated issues), but stolen money is rather egregious. It also doesn't get alone with Catholicism. I have a hard time believing it, in fact: source?

Second: The potential to survive is more valuable, why? Is it that they will be able to thrive in a supporting environment, and therefore benefit the community as a whole? Because they can better serve their own, rational interests? Forgive me if this is all Objectivism 101, but it's a bit alien to me that a more "rational" person (in the Objectivist context) would be more valuable than a less "rational" person.

(Forgive me if the quotation marks seem mocking, they aren't.)
good and bad are subjective, but the heart and heart alone knows the truth between right and wrong.

What our actions contribute, for the benefit of the whole, are heartfully correct actions.

Actions which take without return are heartfully incorrect actions.

You can lie to your ego, you can lie to your intellect, you can lie to your peers, but neither you nor your heart can lie to each other.
SuicideDo, the Brewtal Drunken Immortal.
First: A devout Catholic I can live with, the second I won't start on (threads get derailed on heated issues), but stolen money is rather egregious. It also doesn't get alone with Catholicism. I have a hard time believing it, in fact: source?

The trial of Paul Keating. Keating's illegally stole 250 million dollars in some loan/investment scandal and gave Mother Terasa a few million of it. Keating's was the imprisoned.
Second: The potential to survive is more valuable, why? Is it that they will be able to thrive in a supporting environment, and therefore benefit the community as a whole? Because they can better serve their own, rational interests? Forgive me if this is all Objectivism 101, but it's a bit alien to me that a more "rational" person (in the Objectivist context) would be more valuable than a less "rational" person.

(Forgive me if the quotation marks seem mocking, they aren't.)

The potential for rationality is more valuable. As a derivative from that, the potential to survive is more valuable.
The answer to 'why' is nicely explained in your post.
[doc]
Ahh, shows how much I know about my Catholics.

Alright, I think I get it. I don't agree with it, but I understand it; that's important as well.
Yes.

Ask any Albanian and they would tell you the same. I'm Albanian, and I see nothing wrong with it, she expressed her opinion about abortion, she accepted a type of currency which benefited her and helped her better the lives of the unfortunate even more then she already was doing. It was also her decision do blindly follow a cults dogma. If you didn't notice, catholicism has dominated the world for many centuries, if you don't follow the paradigm you reside in, then you are considered obsolete by the paradigm, i.e. the untouchables in india. Human beings are not the most rational sentient beings in existence, We have 'superstitions' that separate us from rationality, We have beliefs that are conditioned into us while we are being raised. That makes 'crime' invalid.
Hoss.