Toribash
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Idiots with opinions like yours shouldn't be voting anyway.

Citation needed.
Originally Posted by m0o View Post
The universe is solipsistic and therefore your super power does not exist, and is merely created by my own omnipotence in this universe that is the result of nothing but my mind.

'Nuff said.
Last edited by Jim; Jan 21, 2010 at 05:37 PM.
'Nuff said.

HAHA oh wow.

Philosphy

Metaphysics

Quip

Enjoy the read, you need it
Last edited by m0o; Jan 21, 2010 at 05:42 PM.
Originally Posted by m0o View Post
HAHA oh wow.

Philosphy

Metaphysics

Quip

Enjoy the read, you need it

It would be best if you did not make jokes about serious mind experiments regarding the structure of the world.

You know, so that it doesn't turn to a subject existing only to be ridiculed.
b. That kind of passive aggressive behaviour doesn't help anyone.

How are would you be helping anymore by not voting?

Originally Posted by Jim
Idiots with opinions like yours shouldn't be voting anyway.

Clearly you should not be voting either. Nor should you be in the country considering you have no interest in it's future. Seeing as we're getting all opinionated in here.

The entire reason Australia has mandatory voting is so that we have a more diverse range of votes and more of them for the sake of accuracy when determining the opinion of the Australian public. It's about being part of the country, sure you could say "None of the candidates are good enough for me to vote, derrp" but by that logic if you were starving and you saw three plates of food but didn't want to eat any of them you wouldn't go "None of them are good enough" and die, you'd find a comprimise. Even if there are no politicians that are even close to what you want, there must be one that is closer than the rest and so by voting for that person, and showing that you actually care about this country and are a worthy resident, you will at least be doing your part in steering the country towards what you percieve to be the best choice. Other wise kindly get the fuck out of my country.
[Torigod]
Originally Posted by TeapoT View Post
It's about being part of the country, sure you could say "None of the candidates are good enough for me to vote, derrp" but by that logic if you were starving and you saw three plates of food but didn't want to eat any of them you wouldn't go "None of them are good enough" and die, you'd find a comprimise.

False analogy is false - you've heard it people; voting is now a necessity for sustaining life.

By analogy you might say "you faeg, everyone knows the "political life" of a country is meant by the analogy". Might I ask exactly why it's necessary for every person - even the ones who are completely apathetic towards politics - to vote in order to "diversify the votes", which, by consequence, should make the government more democratic? What if the people voting are just into shiny objects and vote for the guy with the best hair cut? Wouldn't the decision made by the people then be, in contrast towards increasing in quality, decrease in it?
Originally Posted by Ladger View Post
False analogy is false - you've heard it people; voting is now a necessity for sustaining life.

Yes I admit voting isn't necessary for sustaining life. It is however necessary for sustaining the current government which I believe to be one of the most appropriate models of government for now. But thats heading off topic.

Originally Posted by Ladger View Post
Might I ask exactly why it's necessary for every person - even the ones who are completely apathetic towards politics - to vote in order to "diversify the votes", which, by consequence, should make the government more democratic?

You pretty much answered your own question there. Look at it this way, by not voting who are you helping? No-one really. As opposed to if you vote, while there may be no candidates that meet your specific desires in a politician, you are at least having an input in steering the country towards what you percieve to be the best future for it and showing that you care about it.

Originally Posted by Laadger View Post
What if the people voting are just into shiny objects and vote for the guy with the best hair cut? Wouldn't the decision made by the people then be, in contrast towards increasing in quality, decrease in it?

No it would not. The quality of the vote is defined by the result and would only be decreased when the result is different to what it should have been given the tally of votes (i.e. a fixed vote.). If everyone votes for the shiniest politician and he gets appointed then it is no better or worse than any other non-fixed vote in the history of Australia.
[Torigod]
You pretty much answered your own question there. Look at it this way, by not voting who are you helping? No-one really. As opposed to if you vote, while there may be no candidates that meet your specific desires in a politician, you are at least having an input in steering the country towards what you percieve to be the best future for it and showing that you care about it.

What if you really don't know which candidate while give "the best future", if there is such a thing? And don't make it sound like you need to care about a country's politics to care about the country.

Hey, there's also no harm to anyone if you just stay home for all your life. It still is a really stupid thing to do though.

No it would not. The quality of the vote is defined by the result and would only be decreased when the result is different to what it should have been given the tally of votes (i.e. a fixed vote.). If everyone votes for the shiniest politician and he gets appointed then it is no better or worse than any other non-fixed vote in the history of Australia.

Then the politicians who get into office are the ones who spend more on advertisement - rather than meaningful debate and support for their respective ideologies, as I'm pretty sure people will vote for the "shiniest politician". I'd rather not let the democratic voting process be something you just throw money at to win. If you don't require people to vote, the percentage of people that actually vote depending on the policies the candidates propose will increase - since more of them will care about politics.

Perhaps a better idea would be to convince the people of the importance of voting - not forcefully, but via education?