AC/DC
5 Votes / 7.14%
Slayer
7 Votes / 10.00%
Other One? (Comment)
17 Votes / 24.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll
View Poll Results

AC/DC is my favorite on the list but like everyone else is saying theres so mant other metal bands out there that why make a poll
FUCKING MAGNETS EVERYWHERE IN THIS BITCH
I would definitely have to say Between The Buried And Me. Take a look at this song, even if you're not into the heavy stuff, just listen to the entire thing (or you can skip to the last three minutes but that's no fun).

[Urban] | Ormo | Team Sambo

I'm taking offers for my set
Seeing as heavy metal was basically invented by the release of led zeppelin II, that would make them the best band eh?
Originally Posted by harlall View Post
Seeing as heavy metal was basically invented by the release of led zeppelin II, that would make them the best band eh?

not necessarily. that would make them the originators, but the originators aren't necessarily the best.

Led Zeppelin is still awesome though
FUCKING MAGNETS EVERYWHERE IN THIS BITCH
Originally Posted by Muffindo View Post
No.
Heavy Metal was born from blues which was bor from jazz which was born from gospel which was born from African music.
That doesn't mean each one is a subgenre of the previous one since there is a clear distinction between Blues and Heavy metal (the most obvious one being distortion).
It does have a relation with rock since rock comes from jazz and has some blues influences but they're not directly related.

No. Rock is pretty much entirely inspired by blues. It wasn't until King Crimson came along and rocked faces with ITCOTCK that jazz really became a big part of rock, and it's still pretty much prog based if you find jazzy rock.

That, and blues predates jazz.

Blues > Rock > Metal
Tre!
Ok, did some reaserch and jazz did indeed originate from the blues. However, Rock has more common musical elements with jazz than with the Blues and vice versa with metal (see heavy rythmic sounds with the drums and the bass guitar).
The combination of rock and Blues is what creates Metal basically but the first Heavy Metal bands were clearly blues bands (e.g Black Sabbath).

Here's a source:
http://infernality.blogspot.com/2006...1960s-and.html

EDIT : but more on topic, do you agree with my original point?
However, Rock has more common musical elements with jazz than with the Blues and vice versa with metal (see heavy rythmic sounds with the drums and the bass guitar).
The combination of rock and Blues is what creates Metal basically but the first Heavy Metal bands were clearly blues bands (e.g Black Sabbath).

lol what is this crap? also your ''source'' doesn't even say that (not to mention that it's full of false information anyway).

Musicians who had grown up on blues music wanted a more aggressive, loud approach, but pretty much all the licks and rhythm structures were lifted straight out of classic blues, and in the case of america, country music. Rock and jazz are totally different types of music, especially classic rock.

Also black sabbath is hardly a blues band. In any way.

The combination of rock and blues is NOT what 'creates metal' at all, since, as i explained, most early rock music was so close to blues that it was essentially the same thing. Combining rock and blues would create blues rock wouldn't it? Which is an already existing genre hurr (see: led zeppelin, the yardbirds, the jimi hendrix experience).

THought that needed clearing up. Inb4 more ignorant posts anyway.
http://www.black-sabbath.com/interviews/iommi1000.html
My early influences were the Shadows, who were an English instrumental band. They basically got me into playing and later on I got into blues and jazz players. I liked Clapton when he was with John Mayall. I really liked that period. I went through a period when I started off playing all jazz and blues.

For the Black Sabbath part.

And it's not really a combination, it's more of a metallic and rythmic interpretation of blues, rock already had distotion which is why it could be associated to the "metallic" sound. Your opinion is pretty valid, though, since the definition of Heavy Metal isn't clear (and no, no online dicionnary you can link will be 100% accurate). For example, I consider Led Zeppelin and The Jimi Hendrix Experience to be parts of the foundations of metal.

Here's a chart created in the documentary A headbanger's journey which I'm in accordance with:

BUT we're still derailing the topic of this thread as well as my original point: There are no Heavy Metal bands that are not affiliated to a subgenre
Gotta say that i don't buy that chart, as it makes a lot of arbitrary distinctions and puts some groups in simply the wrong box, and makes a lot of assertations about where certain types of music drew their influences that are rather inaccurate (like punk originating from uh.. nothing!what.)

The issue i take with a lot of metalheads is that they argue that almost everything is 'metal' of some sort, especially hard rock (poison, guns'n'roses etc). A lot of the bands that metal enthusiasts group under the 'metal' genre would not see themselves as metal at all. You've got to remember that metal was an offshoot of rock'n'roll, not the other way round.

As for black sabbath. As far as i know they only ever performed one thing that could fit a 'blues' description, and that was a cover of a 12 bar 'blue suede shoes', which would probably fit a country description better anyway.

BUT we're still derailing the topic of this thread as well as my original point: There are no Heavy Metal bands that are not affiliated to a subgenre

Agreed. It's kinda ridiculous to have a discussion about the best band of a genre that isn't even well defined. Personally i don't really like to put bands into ''genre boxes'', since most great musicians branch out beyond one style of music anyway, and good music doesn't need labelling.