Toribash
Original Post
Perks
Perks should be added to the game. They can only be used in rooms that allow perks and only people with higher belts should be able to use them. Probably 5-6th Dan and up. You're only allow to have one perk equipped at a time, and you can change them out on the website. Only people with perks would be able to fight in perk enabled rooms.

Perks will be set at a Reasonable Price so that anyone who meets the Qi requirements can get one. This is so that the insanely rich are not the only ones who have access to this feature and at the same time it can act as a tc sink.

Now the perks I'm talking about are not game breaking. Nothing like Instagib feet or Increasing the overall speed of your tori. I'm talking about perks that bring a tactical advantage.

Examples:
  • Invisible - When activated, it turns your Tori and your ghost invisible for one turn. You can still get hit and dq'ed. Players in the queue will also be unable to see your Tori and ghost while this perk is activated.
  • Body of Steel - Increases the dm threshold of your Tori for one turn. Can still get fractured and your opponent still can get points.
  • Boost - Gives your Tori a little push in the direction the head is facing. Little being the key word here.
  • Precision Timing - Halt the Timer at any point in match for a 5 second window to alter your Tori. Once used, you cannot move your Tori for the next turn. This can only be activated once per match.

I feel that these perks are balanced enough to the point where each of them do not offer a significant disadvantage to either player. Precision Timing is the one where I can see people having problems with, however, the fact that the player who uses it cannot move for one whole turn afterwards can benefit the victim more-so than the actual user.

Anyway these are just suggested perks. They can be changed in which ever way possible for all I care. I'm just using them to give an example of what I think perks should be.

I already understand the reason behind leaving Power Ups and the like out of the game already. "White belts should be able to stand on equal grounds with a God Belt." I'm not disagreeing with that. However, why can't higher belts enjoy a little something extra amongst themselves for playing longer?

Let me know what you think.
Last edited by DaNooB23; Feb 7, 2014 at 05:43 PM.
"Fear not the Tori who has practiced 10,000 openers once, but fear the Tori who has practiced one opener 10,000 times."
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Cool features don't matter if it can't answer the simple question of "what's the point?"

Gameplay has been the same for almost a decade, time for something new. May not be the answer you want but it definitely answers your question.

Cool new features upon reaching a certain belt? Why would it have to be upon reaching a belt for one thing, why can't you just have "perks" enabled on a server where everybody has access to it? Why does it have to be an experience-based unlock?

The main premise behind reaching a certain belt in order to have perks was to make sure that the player would have a decent understanding of how Toribash works. And also "I just feel that players would be more excited about Toribash if they find out that once they reached a certain belt, they could have access to more than just another color." Something to work towards than just a higher number. And a reason to actually play on your main account.

Why would somebody at a higher skill level even need a perk? Most people upon playing long enough don't need assistance from a "perk". A person who's been playing for a long time should be perfectly capable of getting the benefits that a "perk" supplies all by themselves. Most people know how to prevent dismemberment from happening, travelling is a skill most wushu players are more than capable of doing, and invisibility is practically pointless because most gamemodes don't give enough time in between frames to justify it, and the ones that do are already hard to predict because of the fact that there are large gaps in between turns.

A little extra strategy in matches between high skilled players. Remember, "Only people with perks would be able to fight in perk enabled rooms." And I'm aware that the perks I listed are not the best, but like I mentioned they are only examples to give you an idea of what perks would be.

And why would this somehow stop a kicklifter or a runner? Everything one person can use to try to counter that strategy can be used by the person in question to make it even harder to stop them. A kicklifter or even a shoveller who uses a slight push forward "perk" instantly becomes harder to deal with because now they have increased momentum on their side. Slight push forward would also allow people who run to get farther away faster. It creates no counter-play and exasperates the problem further.

See, something like this ^ was what I wanted this thread to be about. Looking at the suggestion and finding ways to balance things out instead of just outright rejecting the idea. So maybe Slight Push Forward shouldn't be a perk since it seems too overpowered. Maybe all perks should be defensive minded in order to avoid making the already effective offense techniques even more effective.

And finally, why not just play a mod? That's kinda the point of them, to create a new environment to play in that's enjoyable. I don't see why you would need to create an entirely new system that a mod can meet more than adequately.

You mean "make" a mod? Please give me an example of a mod that does something like this since I honestly don't see how this is possible.

Response in bold.
"Fear not the Tori who has practiced 10,000 openers once, but fear the Tori who has practiced one opener 10,000 times."
Not supported

Toribash has always been a game about being fair, the other people has no advantages over you unless you have played longer sooo
I'm ready for my daily dose of cringe ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The reason game mechanics have stayed the same is because there's literally no reason to change them. What changes the gameplay is not the mechanics, but the evolution of the game's meta. The meta of the game evolves as people realize what moves are good, and what moves then counter said good moves, which then shifts the meta away from what's before. This has happened for as long as Toribash has been around.

I've been around to see it change. Wushu used to be a mod where jump kicks were the meta. After the kick, the game was pretty much over, as nobody was good at travelling, and people would run and tripod all the time. Suddenly, somebody discovered the sweep kick, which was a great counter to the jump kick because it avoided the kick and punished the player for it. Sweep kicks became the new meta. Eventually, sweep kicks were countered by the heli kicks discovered by KamiKo. And now we have the current meta where basically all of these moves are viable, because people have learned how to travel. Gameplay has changed dramatically for wushu over the decade without needing to change the game's mechanics. And the same can be said for all game modes.

And something being around for a long time is not a reason to change it. Geometry has been around since Ancient Greece. That doesn't mean we should change it, because geometry still works and is relevant. Likewise with Toribash game mechanics.

And if earning prestige and recognition isn't reason to play on your own account, then tough luck. Not every game will reward you with flashing lights and a pat on the back for every little step you make in a game. It's often superficial, and condescends to the game's audience.

And it would be a script to make "perks" a reality, not a mod. But, last I checked, server-side scripts haven't been done.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
If the time was taken to create perks and make them balanced it would definitely add a much needed new feel to Toribash. It would be the same exact game with a little extra spice, that's all. Perks wouldn't (shouldn't) change the mechanics at all, it would only be adding onto them which could in turn effect the meta, but not significantly as the perks would mainly be situational.
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
Not every game will reward you with flashing lights and a pat on the back for every little step you make in a game.

You can't be serious.. The reward for playing 20,000 online matches in this game is the ability to wear an overpriced force/relax color and a Custom Name Belt. 20,000 matches... Can't I at least get a free hair or something?