Ranking
Originally Posted by shook View Post
Also, i like my animations running smoothly and not lazily, as in "static characters with two frames of mouth movement for conversation running at 10 FPS" lazy. Ok maybe three frames, but still. Might just be Disney spoiling me with absurdly high animation quality, or it could be that other animators don't have such a gigantic budget, but i digress.

More often than not, I think this is the problem. Look at Hidamari Sketch for example. The first season has a LOT of the "static characters with two frames of mouth movement" thing, and often cuts out to stylised backgrounds or solid colours when people are talking or moving around significantly.
Obviously the show picked up some better funding after the first season, because each season since the first has gotten better and better in the animation department. Do keep in mind this is a Slice-of-Life anime and as such there's not a lot of room for delicious & eloquent animation, but the difference between first and other seasons is noticeable.

And yes, I too dislike the whole "spiky haired kid saves the world by playing a children's card game "battling" the bad dudes with collectable children's toys" theme. At least in Pokémon it sorta made sense - if you've just beaten up the bad guy's pokémon, he's got nothing to protect himself from your superpowered electric death rat. You're effectively holding him at gunpoint :P
Last edited by 4zb41; Jan 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Most of it is just too emo and just plain unmanly for me to enjoy.

I love elfen lied though.
the inner machinations of my mind are an enigma
Anime to me is a certain cartoon art

My thoughts are I like alot of them

Some of them make you facepalm alot

Others may be sad animes

But them themselves are great
The story plots depends of how it hooks me up

Mirai nikki: A type of anime the God is dieing and a number through 13 (or 12 I forgot) must become god
or else the world will destroy itself so the God himself sets a game you must kill each other and there can only be one number, Number 1 must survive throughout serveral attacks and number 2 the one in loved with him protects him throughout the journey. Sometimes the others team to take down other types of numbers

Now hentai is different and I won't explain it

And thats the reason
Last edited by Lushsmoke; Jan 23, 2013 at 08:17 PM.
I'm ready for my daily dose of cringe ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I like anime because for the most part they're original, I repeat for the most part. Yes there's plenty with the spiky haired spirit filled youth like naruto for example whom I hate with the burning passion of a thousand suns, but it's the same in every other form of media as well isn't it?. Out of all the tv shows on cable people usually stick to three or four channels because the rest doesn't interest them, well I see anime in the same light. Yes there will be the inevitable sex romps and overly predictable story-lines but every now and then someone creates a true work of art. Such as Cowboy Bepop, DBZ, Soul Eater or one of the best out there Full Metal alchemist, where the writers and artwork teams create a truly unique world from the ground up that's entrancing whether it's anime or not.
Present to me the most beautiful woman, and I shall reward you with chronos
I think anime shows can be very entertaining if they are done well enough. I'm not a huge fan of it though.
-----
Originally Posted by AzureMage View Post
I like anime because for the most part they're original, I repeat for the most part. Yes there's plenty with the spiky haired spirit filled youth like naruto for example whom I hate with the burning passion of a thousand suns, but it's the same in every other form of media as well isn't it?. Out of all the tv shows on cable people usually stick to three or four channels because the rest doesn't interest them, well I see anime in the same light. Yes there will be the inevitable sex romps and overly predictable story-lines but every now and then someone creates a true work of art. Such as Cowboy Bepop, DBZ, Soul Eater or one of the best out there Full Metal alchemist, where the writers and artwork teams create a truly unique world from the ground up that's entrancing whether it's anime or not.

I completely agree with this. Like you said the rerunning of generic crappy anime like "Naruto" is very closely related to the rerunning of crappy songs on the radio. Corporations try to milk as much profit as possible without putting forward much effort

Side note: FMA was one of the first anime shows that I actually enjoyed.
Last edited by Apex; Jan 23, 2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
If only everyone could be as sexy as me
Lumping all anime together is kind of so-so. Like lumping all movies together as being "cinema-style". Even if two animes have the same art style, the cuts could be completely different. When you view something from far away it looks like a blob, but when you get closer you can see a lot of variation. Same with anything
Originally Posted by shook View Post
eh wot now

Seriously mang, I think you will enjoy it :L
Originally Posted by AzureMage View Post

This guy. I like this guy.

Originally Posted by ImmortalCow View Post
Lumping all anime together is kind of so-so. Like lumping all movies together as being "cinema-style". Even if two animes have the same art style, the cuts could be completely different. When you view something from far away it looks like a blob, but when you get closer you can see a lot of variation. Same with anything

Also this. Someone on a different forum put together a very nicely written post on the subject, but I'm having trouble finding it.

It's also important to note that not all people realise that not all anime look the same.
For example, let's compare what I consider a standard anime style - K-ON! in this case - to shows like Serial Experiments Lain, Spirited Away, Panty & Stocking, Sailor Moon, Tekkonkinkreet, and La Maison en Petits Cubes.

On the same subject, two anime can look similar (share a similar style) yet have radically different stories. Look at Lyrical Nanoha and Elfen Lied. Similar enough, yes?
Lyrical Nanoha is about a young typical large-eyed anime girl who obtains magical girl powers through a talking ferret. It involves transformation sequences and magic battles between underage school girls, and monsters.
Elfen Lied on the other hand stars the large-eyed Nyu, who - unlike Nanoha - has something of a bipolar disorder which involves her turning into Lucy, a supernaturally powered alien killing machine who causes a massacre less than a few minutes into the first episode. Features plenty of gore and nudity. The story is based around Lucy coming to accept the fact that humanity really isn't all that bad, all through the efforts of one guy who actually cared for her . (Yes I know the manga is different...)

Neither of these are collectable-toy-battling-spiky-haired-hotblood-kid-savior animes either :P
I love anime almost as much as I love manga. One of the main reasons being the art and the incredible voices, japanese voice actors are insane. Very entertaining, you won't like it if you are too fixated on reality, basically if you're always in stereo type super mature adult mode.
piratez
Originally Posted by 4zb41 View Post
K-ON! in this case

I don't think you should consider K-On! to be standard. It's pretty high quality and stylized. Actually I don't think there really is a standard.

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
One of the main reasons being the art and the incredible voices, japanese voice actors are insane

It's interesting that in Japan being a voice actor is a career, but in western animation they tend to just hire famous people; "oh Jerry Seinfeld is famous let's make him do voice acting". Acting really isn't the same as voice acting, I hope that craze in western animation doesn't last.