Toribash
...I personally think that that's a campaign for something that is of importance (sure, relatively minor importance). But they are doing it by trying to make people who use the terms feel like the terms were about them, wich... doesn't really work and is somewhat hypocritical, and thus lowers credibility and is slightly amoral. On a side note, how much do gay people care about people using the term "fag"?
Originally Posted by ImmortalCow
Your argument makes sense, and I agree JSnuff. But BoredPayne's does not, he only makes a distinction based on how common it is, not by the meaning.

I'm sorry you did not fully understand my post. Thankfully, JSnuff was able to explain it to you.

Originally Posted by Rampardos
On a side note, how much do gay people care about people using the term "fag"?

Most who've been exposed to abuse can be and are affected by it.
Buy TC for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=240345
Buy VIP and Toriprime for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=237249

Hey look more than two lines.
Originally Posted by Boredpayne View Post
Uhhh...no. If society collectively reinterprets nigger as just a casual way of saying "I don't like this," it's still racist, it still has the stigma, it still has the potential to hurt and incite violence. Equating homosexuality with dislike is pretty obviously offensive.
The word is inherently homophobic.

No, when a kid says, "Oh, this drink is so gay". They are not intending to offend homosexuals. They want to display hate toward the drink by equating it to something apparently negative (homosexuality). Now, regardless of what people interrupt from their use of the word, they still never intended to offend gay people directly.

Obviously some people do mean to offend homosexuals when using it towards gays but most of the time, they use it because everyone else does. It is your own opinion about the morality of it, but that's not the point of my thread. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of the ad and inquiring how people feel about this, considering it's a widely advertised and "respected" campaign.

The word is not inherently homophobic. It is the context of which the word is used that makes it homophobic. Derogatory terms like "faggot" and "butt pirate" are homophobic. But "gay" is merely a word to describe a homosexual. It's like saying the word "black" is racist. It is but a word to describe someone.
I'm sorry you did not fully understand my post. Thankfully, JSnuff was able to explain it to you.

JSnuff and you made different arguments, your argument was " if stupid was used ... to the extent faggot is used", clearly saying that it's merely a question of how often it is used.

Apparently you think 'fag' is used more than 'stupid'? I don't think that is the case. Apparently you are just upset that a word that once meant cigarette homosexual (or the longer version 'faggot' which means a bundle of sticks a homosexual) has been re-purposed as an insult. Some people are pretty mad that 'gay' which once meant happy homosexual has been re-purposed as an insult! Homosexuals really hate it when their words are re-purposed!

I absolutely love the connotation that saying "lemonade is gay" is somehow implying "lemonade is bad, lemonade is gay, therefore homosexuals are just as bad as lemonade, I hate homosexuals". It's fitting that the homosexual stereotype includes 'being over sensitive' :P
I have no lead in to what I'm about to say:

Like a lot of people would say "Oh he drives a Prius? Is he a fag?!", when he means that the car is more characteristic of a homosexual than the car just being stupid.

Whereas, in contrast, we don't say something like "Wow. You score 18 points in the basketball game? You're 'n word' good"

I think the bigger difference is... you can make gay jokes. You can make black jokes. You can make asian jokes. But... when you make black jokes, you don't use the "n word", when you make asian jokes, you don't say the "ch***" word, but somehow, people think it's okay to say "fag" towards homosexuals.

I think there's a huge difference between those two words. One's meaning has been pretty strongly separated from it's literal meaning, whereas the other is a discriminatory word specifically used to hurt a community.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
Originally Posted by Hxcbbqimo View Post
I have no lead in to what I'm about to say:

Like a lot of people would say "Oh he drives a Prius? Is he a fag?!", when he means that the car is more characteristic of a homosexual than the car just being stupid.

Whereas, in contrast, we don't say something like "Wow. You score 18 points in the basketball game? You're 'n word' good"

I think the bigger difference is... you can make gay jokes. You can make black jokes. You can make asian jokes. But... when you make black jokes, you don't use the "n word", when you make asian jokes, you don't say the "ch***" word, but somehow, people think it's okay to say "fag" towards homosexuals.

I think there's a huge difference between those two words. One's meaning has been pretty strongly separated from it's literal meaning, whereas the other is a discriminatory word specifically used to hurt a community.

"KFC ran out of chicken"
"That's gay..."

Derp so homosexual.

That said, if someone steals something and you say "you are such a nigger", around here at least, no one will get mad and say "no please don't perpetuate that sterotype!". If someone got really good marks on a test and you say "wow you really went asian mode there" then no one will get mad and say "no please don't perpetuate that sterotype!!".

The main difference is probably just that asians and blacks don't have festivals where they flaunt their sterotypes, where as homosexuals do.
Originally Posted by JayStar
No, when a kid says, "Oh, this drink is so gay". They are not intending to offend homosexuals. They want to display hate toward the drink by equating it to something apparently negative (homosexuality).

I want you to read this over several times, and then explain to me why it's not offensive to homosexuals.

JSnuff and you made different arguments, your argument was " if stupid was used ... to the extent faggot is used", clearly saying that it's merely a question of how often it is used.

Please continue to explain to me what arguments I made, because I just can't understand my own thoughts without you to guide me through them.

That said, if someone steals something and you say "you are such a nigger", around here at least, no one will get mad and say "no please don't perpetuate that sterotype!". If someone got really good marks on a test and you say "wow you really went asian mode there" then no one will get mad and say "no please don't perpetuate that sterotype!!".

Oh, well that makes it okay then!

Most black people would be seriously hurt by the use of that word. If you don't recognize that you are socially unaware.
Last edited by Boredpayne; Apr 28, 2013 at 03:43 AM.
Buy TC for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=240345
Buy VIP and Toriprime for a great price here! http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=237249

I want you to read this over several times, and then explain to me why it's not offensive to homosexuals.

I didn't say it wasn't offensive. I said it isn't always the intent of those saying it to be offensive towards gays but to that of the thing their displaying hate to. Usually they don't bother to think of the correlation the word and the negative connotation in implies. Now, that's why this campaign was made. To open people's eyes to what they really say when they say something is "gay". But the way they go about doing that is very controversial and full of hypocrisy.
Please continue to explain to me what arguments I made, because I just can't understand my own thoughts without you to guide me through them.

Either you are a prodigy at poorly expressing yourself, or you changed your mind half way through and decided to abandon your poor argument, you decide.
Oh, well that makes it okay then!

Most black people would be seriously hurt by the use of that word. If you don't recognize that you are socially unaware.

The point was that the three-step logic of "you are saying stealing is bad and that stealing is what niggers and niggers are black therefore black people are bad - oh no!" is ridiculous. No one thinks that, no one projects stereotypes to that extent.

It's the third party fallacy taken to the extreme.
Either you are a prodigy at poorly expressing yourself, or you changed your mind half way through and decided to abandon your poor argument, you decide.

I'm so bad at expressing myself that Jsnuff understood easily and took the time to explain it to you.

Your false dichotomies are as charmingly childish as ever, but at this point we both know you're not debating in good faith anyway. In fact, you never have been, pretty much ever. You mostly come to these threads to get high on your own self-assured certainty.

Regardless, you don't seem to understand that the intent doesn't really matter so long as it's still offensive. If you want to avoid offense, don't use a word that has a history of abuse and connotations of anger and oppression.