Toribash
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
I meant what I meant. When circumstances are stacked to promote one choice over another, it's not a true choice anymore. If I say you have the choice of being shot in the foot, or shot in the head, can you say you made a choice if you chose to be shot in the foot, or that you were forced into the choice? Severe depression is very similar to that. It feels like you can choose a lifetime of suffering, or to end it all right now. The end result is the same, it's the path taken that matters. It's not a rational evaluation of the choices, but you aren't in a rational state of mind to begin with. The choices look stacked, so the "choice" is more a selection of the obviously favorable. And since depression isn't a choice to begin with, suicide can be concluded as an inevitability of depression, barring preventative measures.

I'm skipping a bit of the reasoning involved to reach the conclusion, but I hope it's clear enough.

But in the end, the act of suicide is a choice. There's a lot of severely depressed people who don't commit suicide. It isn't like the analogy you used, nobody is holding a gun to your head saying you have to do it. Sure it might seem like it's the only option, but you have to really think it through. You are given the gift of life, it is really selfish and frankly cowardly to cut it short.
Originally Posted by Kradel View Post
If God wanted you to commit suicide he would have added: Thou shalt end thy life. To the 10 commandments.

When your thinking about commiting suicide remember that your alive, your the lucky one.

You do understand that The Ten Commandments aren't the only ten rules set in the Bible? Also, not everyone believes in your God, or in a God at all. That being said, there are situations in which I wouldn't consider someone the "lucky one" when they are alive;a few of these would be chronic illness/pain, extreme abuse, and extreme poverty. Under circumstances like these, I can understand suicide.
my clan was deleted
Originally Posted by Toolfree View Post
You do understand that The Ten Commandments aren't the only ten rules set in the Bible? Also, not everyone believes in your God, or in a God at all. That being said, there are situations in which I wouldn't consider someone the "lucky one" when they are alive;a few of these would be chronic illness/pain, extreme abuse, and extreme poverty. Under circumstances like these, I can understand suicide.

Not condoning violence here but why hurt yourself in extreme abuse? If it's either you or that person, who is a scumbag anyways for abusing you, I'd say kill them not yourself. Again reiterating that I am not suggesting you murder anyone, the best choice in extreme abuse would be call the police, there's always an alternative to suicide. It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. I can only share my personal experiences. One of my best and closest friends actually committed suicide before I even knew her. She was dead for about twenty minutes before paramedics revived her and drove her to the hospital. Today, she is one of the happiest people I know and is extremely glad that she was able to be revived.

Another of my close friends almost killed herself as well. A couple of her friends and myself stayed up talking to her over facebook to try and distract her until the ambulance I called got there. She's still depressed, but getting much better.

Both of these cases only relate to teen depression, however. The highest suicide rate is actually among elders.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
To me i think it's the dumbest fate i could possibly think of. i would rather live
I log in once every 3 years
I think you need to recognize there's two types of people that commit suicide. The whole temporary solution to a permanent problem type, and the logical type.

If you're dying of a fatal disease and you're told by your doctor they've exhausted all thier options to cure you and they tell you to go home, put your affairs in order, you're going to die and it's going to be long, painful, expensive, hard on you and hard on your family. What do you do in that situation? For many people, logical people, it's an obvious choice.

That might speak to the high suicide rate amongst the elderly that hawkesnightmare mentioned.
I thinks suicide is the worst thing to do on the world... suicide is not normal, you have to have a GOOD motive to do suicide... But my general opnion is, you can't do suicide, you can't choose it, is not a option. You're showing disrespect from your mom and father... "They make you on this world and only they can choose it".

That's all.
I see much more reason in suicide than in self harm. There are some cases where I can fully understand suicidal thoughts. Sometimes I have suicidal/homicidal ones, mainly regarding my school, which I hate.
Originally Posted by ElectroSwt View Post
I thinks suicide is the worst thing to do on the world... suicide is not normal, you have to have a GOOD motive to do suicide... But my general opnion is, you can't do suicide, you can't choose it, is not a option. You're showing disrespect from your mom and father... "They make you on this world and only they can choose it".

That's all.

it's hard to understand because your grammar is literally the worst ever but I think you just put child killing/family murder over suicide. what.
collect snots from the nose
It's probably related to the human delusion of understanding without experience.
It's very natural to say 'they don't understand this feeling' 'they never experienced this', well, actually a lot of people probably have.
And when you think about why not everyone is committing suicide right now, you arrogantly think thoughts like 'they're all blind', which is pretentious and also illogical.