Ranking
DOOD, all you gotta do, is just add cats do funny shit on the screen (as in GIFs) and heaps of people will come on here. They will see the funny cats and laugh heaps, then the cats will dissapear, they will look back and discover there is a thread there instead. They will instinctively click that thread, in search of the cat, but start reading the thread instead and THEN reply to it with a constructive answer... TRUST me, works everytime. Also you might want to think about either deleting or moving all those grey out closed threads to the last page, they seriously clog it up sooooooooooooooooo badly. Also, maybe have a weekly challenge where the thread with the most views gets a small prize or something. I believe this will encourage constructive posts to be made. I know I didn't follow the criteria or whatever, but I thought I would just share some of my ideas :^() .
Last edited by Zelda; Apr 4, 2015 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Just no, please.
HEY, go check out my trail shop!
Please try and take this more seriously. And yeah, maybe competitions would help, but we probably don't have that sort of power. That would require prizes which we are unlikely to want to give. And close threads stay there to show why they were closed and so people know what threads have already been made, they are there for a reason.
-----
Originally Posted by ynvaser View Post
I don't remember suggesting anything tbh. There's no direction to take the board in.

So your constructive suggestion is that we do nothing? Because just saying that might have been a better way to "lay it out bright as day" for me. Anyway thanks for contributing. I'm glad you think this board is as good as it is going to get.
Last edited by Zelda; Apr 4, 2015 at 11:13 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
Please try and take this more seriously. And yeah, maybe competitions would help, but we probably don't have that sort of power. That would require prizes which we are unlikely to want to give. And close threads stay there to show why they were closed and so people know what threads have already been made, they are there for a reason.
-----

So your constructive suggestion is that we do nothing? Because just saying that might have been a better way to "lay it out bright as day" for me. Anyway thanks for contributing. I'm glad you think this board is as good as it is going to get.

Dood I legitimately wasn't kidding about the cats thing. That idea is freakin sweet.
HEY, go check out my trail shop!
People who are only persuaded to come to the discussion section because of cat GIFs are people I would rather didn't come to the discussion section at all and just stuck to Off Topic and IRC, or even better, just went back to 9Gag where they could be happy and where we could easily ignore them. Not that I have anything against cat GIFs...

Just to be clear, the problem with your idea was the part where these apparently brain-dead cat GIF seeking zombies suddenly decided to settle in the discussion section (which apparently they had managed not to notice before) and start making valid opinions. Again, looking at cat GIFs doesn't necessarily mean you are stupid, but only noticing things which have cat GIFs all over them does. I understand you might have been exaggerating the idea to dumb down the section and work from there but if so then your presentation of such suggestions needs to improve, not everything has to be hyperbolic.
So your constructive suggestion is that we do nothing? Because just saying that might have been a better way to "lay it out bright as day" for me.

It only took you 3 posts to get it. I think that is above average, speaking about Discussion.
When you said there's nothing to talk about I assumed you were talking about the discussion forum in general not having anything worthwhile to discuss. Mostly because I assumed that you wouldn't bother talking about it if you thought there was nothing to talk about. As for the idea that this will never be the place for proper discussions with it's current frequenters, that has already been thoroughly covered. I just couldn't accept that you were the type of person who would make a post with no more valuable information or purpose than whining about things which annoyed you more than 2 months ago. My bad.
See, if there was anonymous posting, Zelda/Ynvaser wouldn't be stalking each other and arguing about basically nothing
Hoss.
Flaming and time friendly, of course there are some guidelines which can be based on both Ele and Zelda's morals (Based on verbal abuse).
To be honest some discussions get even better with flaming, it rarely goes out of hand (apart from with touchy subjects).

Maybe just a thread every now and then with this allowed, also one that can be just small posts. God damn I like to read through these threads but some of the users here write more in a single post than what is required in a single 3-page essay.
Life's not a waste of time and time's not a waste of life so let's stop wasting time, get wasted and have the time of our lives - Mr Worldwide 3:18
I have an idea, I'm not sure if it is a good one which is why I'm not just going ahead and doing it already. It's a compromise between closing stagnant or de-railed discussion threads and just leaving them open forever (as pig suggested). Once a thread dies or descends below the discussion board's standards we could just move it to off-topic. This would mean that people could enjoy the thread without worrying about the stricter moderation and harsh criticism of their opinions. Obviously anything unfit for off-topic wouldn't be moved there and we would ask Moonshake if be minded getting all our left-overs.

Thoughts?
I have an idea, I'm not sure if it is a good one which is why I'm not just going ahead and doing it already. It's a compromise between closing stagnant or de-railed discussion threads and just leaving them open forever (as pig suggested). Once a thread dies or descends below the discussion board's standards we could just move it to off-topic. This would mean that people could enjoy the thread without worrying about the stricter moderation and harsh criticism of their opinions. Obviously anything unfit for off-topic wouldn't be moved there and we would ask Moonshake if be minded getting all our left-overs.

Thoughts?

I think this would discourage people to even go to the efforts to make their threads Discussion-worthy. They would just post on the Off topic board right away, if their thread is bound to show up there soon anyway.