Toribash
Re: Are lost body parts ever not going to count towards DQ
So this is conjection with the previous thing? there for a Hand ripped off with it's wrist would be completely safe?
What i hate is early DQs. Now it's up to the player to not make early dqs, by keeping the dismenbered hand or body part. I like to make fun moves and self damage when for example the opponent make a early win. Atleast make the fight fun, waiting is boring, make it fun, don't make your opponent DQ early, let him do funny things if he can. DQ is a feature, but early dq is not fun atall.
What I would like to see is a "dead limb" style of dismemberment. Any bodypart that is removed from direct connection with the head is considered dead. It is made limp and loses any grip it had. Any limb that is considered dead can not DQ. A decap would result it a totaly dead body.

I think this as a server option would be a nice change of pace from the classic mode
Personally, outside of the wrists-don't-DQ bit, I think the only sensible argument being made here so far is that parts not attached to the head should just go limp, and yet I think that should simply be optional, too -- I've had far too much fun with controlling disconnected body parts to want it gone forever.

As for the rest of the complaints about dismembered body parts, it's simply a matter of accepting the rules you've been provided. How often do you see baseball players petitioning to make the strike zone no longer be "knees to armpits?" Of course, by the same token, you tend to see people who aren't very good at, say, Street Fighter complain about how "cheap" throws are.

I think a lot of folks here would do well to read the "playing to win" essays on sirlin.net, if only because they're very interesting. That, and it'd help if folks could figure out that the best reason to play Toribash is because it's fun as hell, rather than because, apparently, some folks just can't enjoy competition unless they win.
Originally Posted by DoctorFedora
As for the rest of the complaints about dismembered body parts, it's simply a matter of accepting the rules you've been provided. How often do you see baseball players petitioning to make the strike zone no longer be "knees to armpits?" Of course, by the same token, you tend to see people who aren't very good at, say, Street Fighter complain about how "cheap" throws are.

Here's the guy who didn't know that the first build of Street Fighter 2 was changed after a player won a tournament completely by turtling with Guile. You can scream noob all you fucking like, but it's not an argument.

The simple fact is this game is currently being designed, and that option annoys me. Sure I could constantly pick favored openers and rarely get dismembered, but I want to do a little more. The limb DQ rule, often prevents that and cuts me short in the middle of one of my masterpieces. Yeah, it's a matter of taste, limb DQs taste like shit to me.
you sure are an angry little fella worm. you should see somone about that.
Well, I can't surely can't out stupid you guys. I mean, a slew of replies by people who have no clue, and then the rest being claims about how it's impossible, and how I should live with the game as it is, ALL while the game's creator talks about how to possibly implement the suggestion as a matter of taste.
Originally Posted by worm
Well, I can't surely can't out stupid you guys. I mean, a slew of replies by people who have no clue, and then the rest being claims about how it's impossible, and how I should live with the game as it is, ALL while the game's creator talks about how to possibly implement the suggestion as a matter of taste.

Wow, you're really rude. Just because nobody in this thread agrees with you, we're all "stupid"? Hampa is doing a great job as developer trying to accomodate all his new users, and the limb DQ thing is a common complaint among beginners, but you'll notice that more experienced players don't really mention it, because, really, its not that hard to keep stuff off the ground. Also...

Originally Posted by worm
Sure I could constantly pick favored openers and rarely get dismembered, but I want to do a little more.

You have to use an opener, or relax and attempt to dodge, its just the way the game works online. It doesn't have to be a popular one, i've made 2 myself that work really well. Don't forget you can move uke in single player, its really useful for practicing moves.
From what i've seen he really needs practice, alot of it, and some theraphy XD well... more of the latter than earlier.

Also he's very very immature... give him time, there's 2 ways to go, the more probable is "everyone else is stupider than me and they suck, too " the less probable is he learns what makes him look silly and stops doing it, really o'o

The foxie lurks...
What what? In the butt.
No, "ur a n00b" still isn't a counter argument.

Either hampa is considering this because he is a Christ-like figure who wants to alleviate all suffering, or because I have a point. Which I do. The screeching insane response I have received is probably why only one other person admitted they agreed with me. Things change, people change, games change ... war? Well you know about that.