Ranking
I've been reading Sherlock Holmes, and find it very, very compelling. also of note is the Art of War and The Republic, if you're into philosophy and or military strategy. Another good book is The Prince, If you are into politics.
FREE-SPEECH CAUSE FUCK YOU
ONLY COMMIES CHANGE AVVYS
These were some decent discussions.. What do you think's gonna happen in book 3 of Korra?

Rather than providing vague predictions, I will note that Spanish-dubbed versions of episodes three to six are now available online, after they were accidentally leaked.
Last edited by Wight; Jun 17, 2014 at 09:46 AM.
Are... are those people dual-bending?

Specifically at 00:52 and 00: 38
I... won't watch that, or the Spanish leaked episodes. I don't like even tiny spoilers.
Right, so here's my attempt at a counter to the Air-benders being the most powerful in their second form.

My argument is that the basis on which you stand your arguments is wrong. Specifically, the chemical arguments. In the series, we are shown that water benders can bend blood, by manipulating the water in the blood. We are shown that earth benders are able to bend metal by manipulating the earth (impurities) in the metal. Fire benders are shown to be able to bend lightning by manipulating the... something in fire (I dunno, density, electron alignment? I dunno). so logically, the airbenders would be able to bend something that contains air on a less significant level than regular air (ignore chemical makeup, it gets too damn confusing on what they're actually bending), Which leads me to believe that they'd be able to do a form of gaseous bending (again, ignoring that air is already gasses, also ignoring that fire is a gas). Now, why this makes more sense than yours. (I'm probably gonna get proven wrong here by a number of different things, but yea, here's my shot at it. Also, I know.)

In the airbender world, There are four manipulable elements (earth, fire, air, water) that everyone knows about. (btw, that video is great Wight, helped me figure this next part out.) There is also the bending of spirituality, which is a metaphysical concept, the state of spirituality, but that's not any more important right now that to note that it's a metaphysical concept. So we see the incorperation of the four classical western elements, and the incorporation of the metaphysical role of spirituality. Here is where I start to lose track of things a bit, because of my knowledge of how our world works and my want to apply my understanding of my world to a cartoon fantasy world.

Literally nothing in the Airbender world works the way our world works. It may look like it, it may act like it, but in my belief, the chemical (idea) makeup is different entirely. The four elements exist along with metaphysics, but these elements don't interact chemically the same as ours do. The result is the same when you put water on fire, but the process was different in my opinion. This belief spawns from the FACT (until I'm proven wrong) That water benders can't manipulate air, even though it has oxygen, fire benders can't manipulate air even though it possesses carbon dioxide, Earth benders cant manipulate anything but earth (even though they can turn stone to liquid (as evidenced by the piece of meteorite Sokka gave to Toff) at will), and Air benders cannot manipulate any of the other elements directly. therefore, in the air-bending world, I theorize that these are not the same compounds that make up our atmosphere, and we should rather treat them as being separate in chemical structure. Now, by stating this, I can also make the claim for spirituality.

Spirituality determines why a person is attuned to which element, or to none at all. People born with an affinity for earth, if they possess the right capabilities, are able to bend the element of "earth". (it should be noted here that I do not believe that elements work the way ours work in this universe either) This applies to all of the elements. God I'm tired. I'll update this later, post your comments on my ideas, I'd like to see how you guys crush this.
Last edited by Templar; Jul 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: I noticed that this is all over the place. I'll make it more "readable" soon
The first three episodes of Book 3 of LoK have aired. You can find and watch them, now. Episodes four through six are available in Spanish audio, and there are English summaries for each episode (and I believe that there is also an option for you to download the episodes along with English subtitles for VLC, yet I cannot confirm this, myself).

-------------------------

Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Fire benders are shown to be able to bend lightning by manipulating the... something in fire (I dunno, density, electron alignment? I dunno). so logically, the airbenders would be able to bend something that contains air on a less significant level than regular air (ignore chemical makeup, it gets too damn confusing on what they're actually bending)

Firebending is unique in that it produces fire as part of the process, whereas the other benders must have access to a preexisting form of their element. This breaks the pattern of the four elements being comparable to each other, as to which aspects a particular element can have, with proper application of bending. Similarly, in contrast to your observations, lightning "bending" isn't actually the manipulation of a form of fire. It is specifically divided into two techniques: generation and redirection, which are accomplished with the bending of the user's own qi (alternatively, chi, or ki). This is otherwise known as energybending, as per the statement that each of the elemental bending forms were all derived from energybending.

In the airbender world, There are four manipulable elements (earth, fire, air, water) that everyone knows about. (btw, that video is great Wight, helped me figure this next part out.) There is also the bending of spirituality, which is a metaphysical concept, the state of spirituality, but that's not any more important right now that to note that it's a metaphysical concept. So we see the incorperation of the four classical western elements, and the incorporation of the metaphysical role of spirituality. Here is where I start to lose track of things a bit, because of my knowledge of how our world works and my want to apply my understanding of my world to a cartoon fantasy world.

Literally nothing in the Airbender world works the way our world works. It may look like it, it may act like it, but in my belief, the chemical (idea) makeup is different entirely. The four elements exist along with metaphysics, but these elements don't interact chemically the same as ours do. The result is the same when you put water on fire, but the process was different in my opinion. This belief spawns from the FACT (until I'm proven wrong) That water benders can't manipulate air, even though it has oxygen, fire benders can't manipulate air even though it possesses carbon dioxide, Earth benders cant manipulate anything but earth (even though they can turn stone to liquid (as evidenced by the piece of meteorite Sokka gave to Toff) at will), and Air benders cannot manipulate any of the other elements directly. therefore, in the air-bending world, I theorize that these are not the same compounds that make up our atmosphere, and we should rather treat them as being separate in chemical structure. Now, by stating this, I can also make the claim for spirituality.

I don't fully understand what you're attempting to prove, here, but the bolded statement is incorrect as per the current canon.

Minor detail from book 3 of LoK

In addition, as stated in TLA, all the forms were originally derived from energybending.

Spirituality determines why a person is attuned to which element, or to none at all. People born with an affinity for earth, if they possess the right capabilities, are able to bend the element of "earth". (it should be noted here that I do not believe that elements work the way ours work in this universe either) This applies to all of the elements.

Again, not quite relevant here, because I don't fully understand the point you're making.

Major spoiler from book 3 of LoK

A list of interesting techniques for each element, shown so far in canon, book 3 of LoK inclusive

Last edited by Wight; Jul 24, 2014 at 01:50 AM.
Originally Posted by Wight View Post
The first three episodes of Book 3 of LoK have aired. You can find and watch them, now. Episodes four through six are available in Spanish audio, and there are English summaries for each episode (and I believe that there is also an option for you to download the episodes along with English subtitles for VLC, yet I cannot confirm this, myself).

Thank you very much!
There's something I feel obligated to share with you lads:

"Choosing to do as little as possible means concisely limiting your contribution to the inevitable dispursal of energy and thus, in a teeny, tiny way postponing the heat death of our universe. Relaxing adds time to the universe's life..." - Michael Stevens

We're not lazy, we are saving the universe