Ranking
I installed everything last week, and after a few run-ins with Microsoft due to my Windows license being tied to my mobo, it works great! Now I'm just trying to find a good SSD, friends have recommended this one.

Opinions?
Googling raised more questions than answers. Why should I get an M2 SSD over a 2.5 inch one? From what I've seen you get slightly faster speeds for a much higher cost. Is it really worth it?
Originally Posted by NotShadow View Post
Googling raised more questions than answers. Why should I get an M2 SSD over a 2.5 inch one? From what I've seen you get slightly faster speeds for a much higher cost. Is it really worth it?

PCI-E SSD vs M.2 SSD vs mSATA SSD vs SATA SSD vs hybrid SATA vs SATA 10k HDD vs SATA 7.2k HDD vs SATA 5.4k HDD is all just a question of "speed vs price". We are talking about a sliding scale for price from something like $1/gb to $0.01/gb and for speed from 5,000MB/s to 50MB/s.

Is there anything specific you are trying to achieve when buying this SSD? Do you just need more space? Are you trying to decrease boot times? Is there some specific problem you are trying to solve? Depending on what exactly you want, it may be better to get a HDD, more RAM, or a solution that involves some combination of those 3 components.

But if you just want an SSD because you heard the buzzword and have some cash to burn, then yeah, grab the Crucial. It's cheap after all.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by NotShadow View Post
Since
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RQA6TEI/?tag=pcpapi-20
and
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX200-...ds=Crucial+SSD

are the same price, shouldn't I get the MX one?

I have personally had issues with their MX series, so I have only bought BX recently, but that could have just been bad luck.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
PCI-E SSD vs M.2 SSD vs mSATA SSD vs SATA SSD vs hybrid SATA vs SATA 10k HDD vs SATA 7.2k HDD vs SATA 5.4k HDD is all just a question of "speed vs price". We are talking about a sliding scale for price from something like $1/gb to $0.01/gb and for speed from 5,000MB/s to 50MB/s.

Is there anything specific you are trying to achieve when buying this SSD? Do you just need more space? Are you trying to decrease boot times? Is there some specific problem you are trying to solve? Depending on what exactly you want, it may be better to get a HDD, more RAM, or a solution that involves some combination of those 3 components.

But if you just want an SSD because you heard the buzzword and have some cash to burn, then yeah, grab the Crucial. It's cheap after all.

Faster boot times and loading times for a few of my games. I have a 1 TB HDD but boot times for me are pushing a couple minutes to get to the login screen and like 5-15 minutes after that to load everything I usually have up (Skype, steam, chrome). I have plenty of storage, but I just want enough to hold my OS, GTA V, CSGO, and have room for a few other games. I was looking at the 120 GB/250 GB sizes because of that. I know that I don't want to spend more than $100(I would prefer to stay in the 60-80 range), and I want to substantially decrease boot times.

When I look at SSDs, I always see two different speeds (Read/write and "speed") Read/Write seems pretty self explanatory, It's how much data it can read from the drive and write to the drive (I assume). These measurements usually range from like 300 MB/s to 500MB/s. Then there's the other speed I don't get that says like 6 GB/s or 10 GB/s. What does that mean?

i got it nevermind
Last edited by NotShadow; Jan 23, 2016 at 09:42 AM.