Toribash
Original Post
LGBT pride within games

So I was peacefully playing GW2 when a crowd of users started to approach me, I had literally no idea what was going on till I looked up gw2 events on google and found they were doing an LGBT march in-game.

PICTURES OF THE MARCH

More pictures from twitter #gw2pride

What are your thoughts on digital protests / pride marches within games?

Personally, I thought this pride walk was a bit odd and even slightly silly. It's a game... Yeah it's great that they want to show their pride and such but I felt this was a bit of a silly place to do it. Nonetheless, I felt it was still pretty cool of them.
Even more ridiculous than it is outside of games.

Why even bring this kind of stuff into a game? It's like when people use a girl as their avatar picture and call themselves ToriGirl and go around telling everyone they are a cute girl. It's 100% bait right?

That's the consequences of a 'special snowflake' society, everyone thinks that they should broadcast their sexual fetishes or personal identity even in places where it normally wouldn't matter.
Wrong place to be doing that sort of thing. Most games are anonymous, who you are doesn't matter at all and in the end you're just begging to be trolled. Then people will get upset and start a shitstorm and it will be really unpleasant to be around.

A group of people's pride is not something I care about, especially in a computer game. And frankly I think anyone who thinks parading around a game is going to have any positive outcomes shouldn't be trying to represent groups or people because they would have to be pretty stupid IMO.

I would feel the same about any other marches or pride groups in games.
Thing about it is that people who join in LGBT pride marches are comfortable with people seeing who they are, but the mass majority of people who are LGBT are not.

Doing a march through a computer screen would give them more confidence to stand up for themselves, being as nobody knows who they are and can do it anonymously. Yea it might be awkward to most of us online, they are proud of what they're doing, even if the setting isn't as suitable as an actual parade.

All in all I think that it being on a game, very awkward, but if it makes them proud to do it, let them be.
Ah yes, nothing like announcing what you do in your bedroom to everyone in the world through the internet.
Hoss.
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Ah yes, nothing like announcing what you do in your bedroom to everyone in the world through the internet.

There is no possible way this could go wrong.
Well, it is possible to be proud of yourself without making a huge spectacle out of it, but my stance is pretty much just "eh sure". I mean yes, the fact that pride parades can happen without people flipping their lids and being like "OH NO, HARMFUL LEVELS OF GAYDIATION WILL FAG UP MY DNA" is definitely a good thing (disregarding blatant trolls of course), but on the other hand, i'm also almost entirely indifferent about other peoples sexual orientation unless they want to get intimate, so i don't feel any particular need to know, be it in a game or meatspace.

¯\(°_o)/¯
<Blam|Homework> oiubt veubg
various places to find me lol
It's pride month, so naturally, you are going to have this sort of thing in games and, of course, in real life. I think it's a good thing, as it's just a way to show people who consistently put down those in the LGBT community that their efforts are not working, and that they will continue 'marching.' Considering that those who identify as LGBT are the minority who are most likely to be targets of hate crimes, it makes sense to continually do these marches.
I actually like that they did this even though there might have been alot who just joined to be part of it not knowing what it was but i dont think its the best place to do it if they want to send a message it's not like people who see it are going to say "Gee guys today i saw a LGBT pride march while playing GW2!!"