people playing: 53, servers online: 18, games played: 144,277,283 Top Player: Gentleman

Toribash Community » Toribash » News
Register FAQ General Rules Community

Old May 15, 2017 Original Post  
hampa
In coder land
Toribash Next announcement.
I've started to build a new Toribash version, code name Toribash Next.

While the current engine is super awesome it was written 12 years ago.

Things I want to add to the new engine:
- 2vs2, 3vs1 and brawl games
- Built with animations and models from the start
- Ingame multiplayer modding (mod rooms together)
- Ingame inventory and trading
- Run your own servers

Some technical details for those interested:
- Engine (Unity3D)
- Plattforms (Windows, OSX)
- Backend (Steam and standalone)

Economy:
- Part of the economy will be decentralised (we will have our own BitCoin type currency). This will allow players to trade outside the forum.
- The giveaway Toribash Next Token will eventually transferable to this new section of our economy.

Questions & Answers:

QA

If you have more questions, I'll keep this top post updated.

Last edited by sir; Jan 3, 2018 at 11:55 AM..
hampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1361
DrunkMonk

10th Dan Black Belt
Clan: Evolution

So you think that if they just fix the bugs and keep the game exactly the same, that it’ll attract players? Are you that ignorant? A sequel to ANY game has upgraded mechanics, just fixing bugs to a dead game without updating more then just bugs, isn’t going to reach out to old players who’ve left or new ears that might want to try to play, it’ll just keep those thirty players you claim are playing keep playing, that’s it. You clearly don’t know how developing a game works. If people don’t want to spend time learning new mechanics for a new game, stay with the old game, or better yet, just go play call of duty. People spent years to learn these mechanics well and have enjoyed it enough to continue playing, so I do not see why you think that the devs should replicate the mechanics.
Amitabha
eVo
DrunkMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1362
Derzai

Brown Belt

either read my post or don't fucking reply lmfao

i've bolded my main points so maybe it will be a bit easier to digest because for some reason nobody can understand me lol

old game with shitty engine = 0 new players, only old players
new game with better engine that feels absolutely nothing like toribash = 0 new players and 30% of old players that think the new toribash feels like a shitty binklawz mod
i'm obviously not fucking saying that fixing bugs will attract new players. i'm saying i really can't see anything that can be done to attract new players.

this game is brutally hard. people don't like hard games that take years of learning. people like easy games that are hard to master. people like games that take maybe a day or two to get the hang of. and most of all, people like games that are rewarding. there is no reward for being good at toribash. if you're good at MP, what happens? you play rng karate with some random retard. if you're good at SP, what happens? you post replays to your thread and bump it 4 times a week for cnc

of course they should add new features lol
i'm glad you think i'm ignorant, and i'm even more glad you completely ignored what i said. a majority of old players probably play this either for dueling or nostalgia. mods are already killing dueling by handling reports terribly/making ridiculous decisions and not supporting usd duels, so what do the nostalgic players have to come back to when this new game comes out? 11 years of replays will not work. 11 years of mods will not work. if you're not playing for either of those 2 reasons you're honestly just using it as a social platform, which discord beats toribash in lol

what do you think people are going to do when this game comes out? the fact of the matter is this game has no value to a new player. you sit in a queue for 5 minutes (in a SMALL server) just to kind of click a couple of joints and get rocked by someone who has an idea of the game. maybe compare this to literally any other game, there is actually nothing as monotonous as that. there is no "WOW i wish i could do that!" when a new player watches someone play abd lol. i really don't understand what you think this game has that will attract any new players at all. what's going to happen is when tb next comes out is a surge of players that say "o yeah i played that like 5 years ago let me hop on" then they will remember exactly why they only played it once and quit. fixing the waiting times is impossible. you can't make the matches go by faster without rushing players and ruining the experience entirely for those playing, but there's not really a workaround for the 5 minute wait time other than maybe adding a minigame or something

you're acting like i don't want tb next to work lmfao
i want to play the game i've been playing for 7 years without feeling like i'm playing a fan-made knock off. it seems none of you would be content with a quality game coming out of this, and that's what i don't understand. why settle for something that doesn't feel like toribash? all the people saying "ye the game shouldn't feel the same... it's a new game..." look at all of the call of duty games that u could fly and shit in lmfao, people fucking hated those because they didn't feel like what they were used to playing.

what toribash next devs need to take into mind are how to get rid of the things that are driving off new players. wait times, extremely toxic community, (i'm pretty bad but that's my point, i'm still here lol) actual hard work to learn how to play. and unfortunately a majority of these problems can't be fixed

macaroniandcheese.com

Last edited by Derzai; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:45 PM..
Derzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1363
tunadao

Master Belt
Clan: Spark

I agree very much with Derzai, Since 2013 I've been just seein toribash going in a spiral down to what the game becomes today, why someone play a game? to get the feeling of being rewared, in 2013 you could play some tourneys (MUCH TOURNEYS, everyone had a mod that it liked and It was about 12 different mod tourney rooms, everyone could get some tc and play it own mod by himself) after taking 1/2 from the servers out, they killed like 1/2 players of it, since 2017 toribash is only degrading
Where'd you expect us to go when the bombs fall?
tunadao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1364
DaNewNinja

5th Dan Black Belt

Super pessimistic viewpoint, what guarantees the new game will feel like a shitty binklawz mod lmao.

Also if there's no reward, then why did you ever play? What made you do it? Some people like the feeling of progress and it doesn't always have to be artificial. You say things like why settle for something that doesn't feel like toribash, but have you even played tb next? If you have then damn my b you got me, but it's still your opinion.

You just kinda seem like someone who doesn't want change, even if you aren't that's how you seem, I can get it though, people have put time into this and many don't want to start anew.

The problem of the learning curve has always been there, and if people got through it in the earlier days, people will get through it now, hopefully it's fun enough to dick around that people don't get discouraged at not being immediately good.
Saint's back baby, check out my replays http://forum.toribash.com/showthread...72#post8580272 .
DaNewNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1365
Derzai

Brown Belt

Originally Posted by DaNewNinja View Post
Super pessimistic viewpoint, what guarantees the new game will feel like a shitty binklawz mod lmao.

it's an extremely precise game that allows for extreme precision on a completely different engine

Also if there's no reward, then why did you ever play? What made you do it?

i was 10 years old and i only had a shitty toshiba laptop and a ps2. 10 year olds today have ps4s and xbox ones and like $900 phones, why would they waste their time learning toribash for years when they could waste their time learning any other game for 10 minutes and have fun immediately? kids aren't patient anymore because they have choices. i had no choice, it was either this or tekken 5 on ps2, and i had already put hours and hours into tekken 5

Some people like the feeling of progress and it doesn't always have to be artificial.

any fighting game ever madeany shooting game ever made

you progress in these games by learning spray patterns or frame data, or maybe finding a new gun you really like to use. it instantly shows when u do some cool shit because you learned it in a game like that. getting a triple kill in call of duty is much more rewarding than accidentally winning in toribash. beating your opponent with proper punishment in tekken is much more rewarding than randomly winning in toribash

any single player story based game ever made

you progress in these games like a book, becoming more intimate with characters. i don't know how anything in one of these games would seem more like artificial progression than how it does in toribash, there's literally no progression in toribash other than with replay making. if i can randomly win duels against the top players it is not a skill based game. i could go 20% win ratio, but that is way too high to be called skill based. imagine if a horrible chess player wins 20% of games against a top player. that would just be rng honestly. it's not worth playing competitively

You say things like why settle for something that doesn't feel like toribash, but have you even played tb next? If you have then damn my b you got me, but it's still your opinion.

"it's an extremely precise game that allows for extreme precision on a completely different engine"

You just kinda seem like someone who doesn't want change, even if you aren't that's how you seem, I can get it though, people have put time into this and many don't want to start anew.

the reason i want certain changes is because i want the game to do well, and changing how the game feel is not going to be a good change. if they somehow manage to make it feel the same, then that's an amazing start. if it doesn't feel the same older players are going to say "why even play this lol? 11 years of my replays don't work, 11 years of my mods don't work, 11 years of learning every joint extensively doesn't work, i'm goin on old toribash"

The problem of the learning curve has always been there, and if people got through it in the earlier days, people will get through it now, hopefully it's fun enough to dick around that people don't get discouraged at not being immediately good.

games that are easy to learn and hard to master are games worth playing. every aspect of this game is rng. in anything you do with dms it is rng. i guess the only non-rng thing is any realism based replay making/sparring. there's no random dms, no random fractures. no grab glitches to deal with, no randomness to deal with
macaroniandcheese.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1366
DaNewNinja

5th Dan Black Belt

Why do you assume older players are going to quit if it doesn't feel the same? It would make more sense that they already quit because they got bored of the sameness, and will come back at least for a bit.

How can you call this game very precise and then rng in the same message? Have all your wins been accidental? If this is a random game how are there top players as you said, to randomly take games from.

Also why are you just considering kids? Older people may find this interesting. You are right about that though, kids don't like waiting, which is why like I said I hope dicking around is enough fun to keep some people.
Saint's back baby, check out my replays http://forum.toribash.com/showthread...72#post8580272 .
DaNewNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1367
Derzai

Brown Belt

Originally Posted by DaNewNinja View Post
Why do you assume older players are going to quit if it doesn't feel the same? It would make more sense that they already quit because they got bored of the sameness, and will come back at least for a bit.

"11 years of learning every joint extensively doesn't work, i'm goin on old toribash"
like idk i really don't want to spend anymore time learning the game lol, i've been learning for almost 7 years and i really don't feel like i should be punished for that on the new tb. like this game is already losing a lot of it's appeal to most older players, i don't see much that could hook them back in

How can you call this game very precise and then rng in the same message? Have all your wins been accidental? If this is a random game how are there top players as you said, to randomly take games from.

i guess i did word this poorly
what i mean by precise is that changing one joint can drastically change an entire movement
and what i meant by rng is you can kick your opponent in the pec and dm their shoulder and get 5k points, and the next frame they graze your shin they get 40k points. it's not meant to be played competitively, yet there are MANY players that stick around only to duel.

as for the top players thing, you can obviously be better than someone at toribash, but that only goes so far. the possibility to just get lucky and win is too high.

for example in csgo, you can obviously just get lucky and get a random headshot, but if your aim is bad it's not going to happen often.

in toribash you can get lucky because you and your opponent are both playing abd, "the skill based mod," and you lift your opponent then grab glitch them

Also why are you just considering kids? Older people may find this interesting. You are right about that though, kids don't like waiting, which is why like I said I hope dicking around is enough fun to keep some people.

i'm saying kids because everyone playing now started as kids. adults aren't looking up "ragdoll fighting game" and neither are any kids anymore. and adults who are functioning members of society just don't have as much time. once i got a job while going to school, even though i was only working every other day, i didn't have any free time on the days i did work. i would get home at around six, have dinner then go to bed at like 9 or 10. the game just takes too long to learn
macaroniandcheese.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1368
matarika

7th Dan Black Belt
Clan: Evolution

I believe Toribash Next will play just like Toribash. So to play at a basic foundational level will be like playing on Toribash. Just bugs fixed, and certain things smoothed out.

But there will be new mechanics you can take advantage of, if you desire to put in the time to.

Therefore old people who don't want to do more learning don't have to
Old people who do, can take advantage of it.

Either way there should be no discussion of whether who Toribash next will "appeal" to and who it won't. If you found Toribash appealing you'll find Toribash Next to be everything Toribash was, but cleaner, faster, crisper, and expanded upon.

it'll be the game for the old and new. Capturing what made the original fun and addicting while also experimenting and expanding upon it to make it fresh.

So i assure you, there will be something to work toward, something to strive for in the game.
But veterans won't have to completely relearn, re-do, the entire process.

It will make Toribash feel like the Beta to Next.
Join the Assassin Brotherhood HERE

Last edited by matarika; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:48 AM..
matarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1369
Chux

Green Belt
Clan: Scarlet

Oh boy, bug fixes. I can't wait.
Chux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1370
Primal

10th Dan Black Belt

So...I haven't been active on here in a while, but do we have an estimated time of release for TBN?
I miss [Origin] | Oldy Of This Game|
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote