Ranking
Originally Posted by protonitron View Post
The difference between image based merchandise (practically vital to capitalism) and being genetically modified is that you can't take away the genetic modification to see what lies behind it. It isn't haves and have nots anymore, something determinable by your own decisions in life, it is "are and are nots". It takes the effort out of self improvement and makes success (or more importantly the lack thereof) much more determinable before birth. It is possible that anyone who wasn't GM would be discriminated against based on the assumption that they are worse (although they are likely to be, there will always be non GM hard workers who are treated unfairly). And saying that the NHS could cover everyone is ridiculous, they can't handle organ transplants let alone genetic modification of the entire population. And ynvaser, humanity can move on without the weak dying, as long as enough people die we can keep advancing, it doesn't matter if it is just the weak.

By the way, I am a little confused as to what kind of genetic modification we are talking about here, could someone post some links or just explain it please.

Why does something taking more effort make it intrinsically better?

What about things like fitness, looks, hair color, laser eye surgery, education, travel, experiences, etc, there's many things that I'm sure you want to separate away from 'material goods' which can still be considered image based merchandise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_engineering
In short, the conversation seems centered around modifying the genetics of humans, eg to raise lifespan, IQ, health, etc.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
I just think humans are good enough already, sure disease sucks but I can't see a future involving GM where some people don't take it much too far. Gene pool based elitisism would really trouble me whichever side I was of it. I have nothing against removing or repairing the serious genetic defects of a baby, but being able to make them cleverer or stronger is far too easy to abuse. And you can use your imagination to work out how this could be abused.
Good morning sweet princess
Yes, what if they make people too clever or too strong?! What a horrible future!!

Sorry mate I don't see what you are getting at. What exactly are the terrible outcomes of such a scenario?
Well, how about everything I've been arguing (social instability from new divisions) and Proto's "Gene pool based elitisism"?

I bet you could find dozens of sci-fi books/stories that delve into possible dystopic scenarios.

Like I said before, we don't know the impact this will have on society - we're all speculating. It's ridiculous to suggest that out of all the known-unknowns and unknown-unknowns, there will be no negative effects from gm.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
Yes, what if they make people too clever or too strong?! What a horrible future!!

Sorry mate I don't see what you are getting at. What exactly are the terrible outcomes of such a scenario?

Originally Posted by Redundant View Post
Some of social negative effects that come to mind are:
• Only certain groups of people are able to afford certain treatments, thus creating classes of people who are financially and biologically superior
• Once technologies become more affordable some companies could start selectively recruiting people with certain traits for certain jobs. That would mean that parents have to pre-determine the fate of their children in many instances by choosing which traits they want to give their children that a company might be interested in.

Some environmental problems:
• Same principle as genetically modified plants: They are made immune against certain pesticides, pesticides get applied, many plants and animals die, pests become resistant, new and stronger pesticides have to be made yada yada.
I don't think it would be beyond reasoning that the same engineering could ultimately be applied to cheap labour forces, thus creating the same vicious circle.

Once very advance, the technology could have another negative effect. Genetic engineering could potentially remove many genes from the genepool, thus making our species more susceptible for changes of the environment.

This. this is why it's a problem. Another thing that Redundant didn't mention that stems from the environmental problem: When those pests and/or diseases become strong enough to make the GM'ed people able to be sick again, these sicknesses will be lethal to regular humans. And if this moronic anti-vaccination movement goes any further and intersects with an age of genetically modified people, herd immunity won't help anyone.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
Someone should summon hanz0 to this discussion. I'm sure he has some shit to say, though he probably already saw it and thought "fuck no I'm not posting there".
• Only certain groups of people are able to afford certain treatments, thus creating classes of people who are financially and biologically superior

Which could be said of anything, but regardless with such a cheap and probably widespread technology (assuming we are talking about global legalization and not just 1 country) this situation is practically impossible.
• Once technologies become more affordable some companies could start selectively recruiting people with certain traits for certain jobs. That would mean that parents have to pre-determine the fate of their children in many instances by choosing which traits they want to give their children that a company might be interested in.

Can you give an example of a trait that companies might have different preferences for? The only thing I can think of is something like if one company wanted short people and another wanted tall (which is already genetic and already exists...)

Regardless, I think we can gene therapy most things if someone really wants to change.

• Same principle as genetically modified plants: They are made immune against certain pesticides, pesticides get applied, many plants and animals die, pests become resistant, new and stronger pesticides have to be made yada yada.

This is only a problem because of the existence of non-gm plants. If everyone was made immune the virus or whatever would be made extinct. I would assume even anti-gmers will take immunization...

I don't think it would be beyond reasoning that the same engineering could ultimately be applied to cheap labour forces, thus creating the same vicious circle.

? Gm slaves ? If so, isn't that a different issue altogether?

Once very advance, the technology could have another negative effect. Genetic engineering could potentially remove many genes from the genepool, thus making our species more susceptible for changes of the environment.

Except that we have gm technology so we can just change it if we need it...

Originally Posted by Ele View Post
Well, how about everything I've been arguing (social instability from new divisions) and Proto's "Gene pool based elitisism"?

I bet you could find dozens of sci-fi books/stories that delve into possible dystopic scenarios.

Like I said before, we don't know the impact this will have on society - we're all speculating. It's ridiculous to suggest that out of all the known-unknowns and unknown-unknowns, there will be no negative effects from gm.

Got any arguments that aren't in the realm of fiction? :^)

Can you give an example where a new product has created dystopic classism? I know people went ape for the ipad, but I wouldn't quite class it as classism...
Originally Posted by hawkesnightmare View Post
This. this is why it's a problem. Another thing that Redundant didn't mention that stems from the environmental problem: When those pests and/or diseases become strong enough to make the GM'ed people able to be sick again, these sicknesses will be lethal to regular humans. And if this moronic anti-vaccination movement goes any further and intersects with an age of genetically modified people, herd immunity won't help anyone.

You know by even bringing up that argument you are essentially being a moronic anti-vaccer too...

If everyone gets gene therapy to improve immunisation (which is probably the future of immunisation anyway...) then we have the same situation, just replace 'morons' with 'non-geners' and 'immunised people' with 'geners'.
Got any arguments that aren't in the realm of fiction? :^)

You asked for terrible outcomes of such a scenario. In sci-fi, there's plenty. In real life, this sort of thing isn't even its infancy, it's pre-natal. I can't point to a real example of a dystopic future just the same way that you can't point to a future where it's just perfect and wonderful with no negative effect affecting anyone at all.

I'll say what I said before again (which in turn I said before); "Like I said before, we don't know the impact this will have on society - we're all speculating. It's ridiculous to suggest that out of all the known-unknowns and unknown-unknowns, there will be no negative effects from gm."

Can you give an example where a new product has created dystopic classism? I know people went ape for the ipad, but I wouldn't quite class it as classism...

I'll get away from your hysteric tomfoolery and address your point head on (you should give it a try). You need to understand what we're saying. We're not talking about just introducing a new product, we're talking about introducing a new division into society. It would literally divide society - is it really so hard to figure out that divisions in society damages social stability?

Srsly man, brush up on your sociology.
I'm not sure how cheap it really will be though. Even if it costs only a few thousand dollars to do, that's a few thousand that most families either don't have or aren't willing to spend.
I think that takes care of rebuttals 1, 3, 4, and reinforces my original point.

Products that created extreme classism (regardless of duration of said classism)
Land (not really a created product, but was still a purchaseable thing)
Slaves
Automobiles (first car(that had a price tag that I could find)) (actual worth)
Computers (first commercial computer) (price tag)

That's just what I came up with off the top of my head. A bit more research would produce more results.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
You asked for terrible outcomes of such a scenario. In sci-fi, there's plenty. In real life, this sort of thing isn't even its infancy, it's pre-natal. I can't point to a real example of a dystopic future just the same way that you can't point to a future where it's just perfect and wonderful with no negative effect affecting anyone at all.

I can point to the fact that it's never happened before, as I've said before.

If our sample size is all of history, and in all of these events the outcome has not been dystopic then we can safely assume that one more similar event won't be the straw to break the camel's back.

I'll say what I said before again (which in turn I said before); "Like I said before, we don't know the impact this will have on society - we're all speculating. It's ridiculous to suggest that out of all the known-unknowns and unknown-unknowns, there will be no negative effects from gm."

Not all speculations are equal.

I'll get away from your hysteric tomfoolery and address your point head on (you should give it a try). You need to understand what we're saying. We're not talking about just introducing a new product, we're talking about introducing a new division into society. It would literally divide society - is it really so hard to figure out that divisions in society damages social stability?

Srsly man, brush up on your sociology.

Again you dodge the question... Has society never been divided into can/cannot afford something? I'm pretty sure it happens on a daily basis...

You are arbitrarily deciding that modifying genetics is somehow special as compared to everything else in the world.

Originally Posted by hawkesnightmare View Post
I'm not sure how cheap it really will be though. Even if it costs only a few thousand dollars to do, that's a few thousand that most families either don't have or aren't willing to spend.
I think that takes care of rebuttals 1, 3, 4, and reinforces my original point.

Products that created extreme classism (regardless of duration of said classism)
Land (not really a created product, but was still a purchaseable thing)
Slaves
Automobiles (first car(that had a price tag that I could find)) (actual worth)
Computers (first commercial computer) (price tag)

That's just what I came up with off the top of my head. A bit more research would produce more results.

Land/landless classes? First I've heard of it, sure I guess you can make classes out of anything.

Automobiles? Sure there are only a billion or so of them, but I surely wouldn't call it extreme classism. There's definitely no car vs carless class warfare...

Computers? Similarly..........

Slaves? You might have a point on that one. Probably the only time that 'extreme classism' has existed. Though I think that making humans legal property is not at all on the same tier as genetic engineering, I'll give you that one. With a huge shift in morals/economics/laws it is possible to create classism.
ImmortalPig: You are somewhat poorly educated on the subject as you don't seem to comprehend the technical sides of the problem. I suggest you educate yourself on the subject before making technical claims in the future.
It made me laugh, but it's not very productive.

Also please learn to make coherent statements. Your one line posts are getting annoying.
A quote needs to be sweet like a bikini, not longer than your own response. I am going to start deleting your posts if you keep doing that.