Toribash
Okay,sounds okay
so lets open the discussion to religions and races.
So what im getting to is that religions and races.
You guys are saying that religion and races do effect sexism and racism greatly.
So what religions do and do not effect racism and sexism,or does every religion and
race have a form of sexism and racism.
I said CROOK UP
Saying that every race has intrinsic racist qualities determined by that race other than a tendency to view themselves as superior (this is part of human nature) is in itself racist so no.

I think that racism and sexism can only evolve in someone's mind if they have some reason to believe in it initially. This can be created from implication and the way certain people are portrayed or talked about or just being in contact with racist people.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by protonitron View Post
To me racism is any form of unjustified belief that one race is superior in certain aspects to another race.
To me sexism is any form of unjustified belief that one sex is superior in certain aspects to another race.

The problem is that opinions on what sort of beliefs are justified vary between individuals so my entire definition revolves around a term I have not specified making it an imprecise definition.

I think one of the best discussions to be had on this thread (if we want Ele not to close it :0) would be what sorts of beliefs we think are justified. I could easily post links and quote facts but I feel like this discussion will last longer if a couple people can express wrong opinions first. Discussions can only progress if the starting point has some degree of ignorance/fault for people to correct and improve.

Indeed, to what extent can we assign racial attributes?

There are some that are fairly obvious, caucasians, asians, and africans all look different, have different average heights, weights, IQs, even their skeletons are visually different.

But are they 'justified'? Is it OK to go on averages when it may not be true on a case-by-case basis? It's not uncommon for someone who does not fall on the average for their sex/race to be upset about it.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
if you are talking generally then averages are ok, as long as you do not treat assumptions about a person based on averages for their gender or race as a known fact about them then you are justified to have them. You are allowed to make guesses but it is always better to just check such things for individuals.
Good morning sweet princess
What do I think?(how do most imply these terms?)

Racism - Prejudice against certain group of people. Although there may or may not be biological differences between groups, it's basically wrong to be "racist" no matter what.

Sexism - Prejudice against different sex. (Male/Female) The US is a fairly "sexist" country in some terms, but it's just the way the US does things(culture). I don't know if sexism is really what its implied to be here. In other countries, it's really bad for the women because men are generally, biologicallly, stronger than women and overpower them because they are weird.

Over all, these terms are vague and I think it's biased to think like this in a lot of ways. At least in the way that they are now in my country.
Last edited by Link; Feb 16, 2015 at 07:23 PM.
Chickster: I literally don't know why I did it.
So,religions dont help with racism or sexism.
Is it really impossible?
and isn't racism and sexism the child of rage,jealousy,and fear?
those 3 things are somewhat the reason why these things exist,
and all religions are different,and believe in different things,and
sometimes a religion can not be overall based on their beliefs,some members of a religion have different takes on a subject of their religion.
I said CROOK UP
Originally Posted by frandavi View Post
So,religions dont help with racism or sexism.
Is it really impossible?
and isn't racism and sexism the child of rage,jealousy,and fear?
those 3 things are somewhat the reason why these things exist,
and all religions are different,and believe in different things,and
sometimes a religion can not be overall based on their beliefs,some members of a religion have different takes on a subject of their religion.

To be honest, I don't understand a word that comes out of your mouth. Your logic doesn't make any sense.

Religion and race are what MADE racism what it is today. That's why it's called racism. If you grew up in a hardcore religious family 70 years ago, you would have probably not been allowed to be friends with people who were black or asian. And if you were white, then you probably didn't like black people. That is how it was, and that is how people were brought up.
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
Indeed, to what extent can we assign racial attributes?

There are some that are fairly obvious, caucasians, asians, and africans all look different, have different average heights, weights, IQs, even their skeletons are visually different.

But are they 'justified'? Is it OK to go on averages when it may not be true on a case-by-case basis? It's not uncommon for someone who does not fall on the average for their sex/race to be upset about it.

I certainly think it is justified, but that people get really touchey when you start talking about IQ. I know people who've been called racist because they made a joke complimenting a black guy on his dong (it wasn't the black guy that cried racist btw) and comedian Tom Papa has been lambasted for saying that Asians do better in school. Is positive stereotyping racist?
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
I certainly think it is justified, but that people get really touchey when you start talking about IQ. I know people who've been called racist because they made a joke complimenting a black guy on his dong (it wasn't the black guy that cried racist btw) and comedian Tom Papa has been lambasted for saying that Asians do better in school. Is positive stereotyping racist?

The problem is, this is quite true. The majority of asians do better in school than any other race. And african americans DO have bigger dongs than any other race. There is scientific that both of these stereotypes are correct. Are there going to be outliers? Of course!
Exactly. Most stereotypes are founded in some truth. There's no smoke without fire. Is it racist to simply speak the truth?

That's why I excluded stereotyping from my definition of sexism/racism;
Originally Posted by ele
Prejudice/discrimination on the basis of sex or race.