matchmaking brainstorming
okay here goes matchmaking system i came up with just because why the fuck not

matchmaking table, which is used to find apropriate matches

id | playerStatus | nick | ELO_player | time
1 | LookingFor | rapist | 1605 | 13:58
2 | LookingFor | child | 1600 | 14:00
3 | Ranking | scrub | 1650 | 13:58
4 | Finished | noob | 1500 | 14:00

"there could just be an option to matchmake and an option to go to server browser. This way, the tourneys can still exist and be ranked. All matchmaking will be executed in official competitive mods that can be chosen as a filter."(c) Bercat

how? by adding new column with mod player selected and adding one more filter for mod selected

anyway table explanation:

playerStatus is a value that dictates the state of player, if he is looking for match or not
can be 3 values:
LookingFor - means player is looking for match
Ranking - means player is playing ranked match
Finished - means player finished his match or his search for match

this thing is called fl0w chart

okay, so whats going on here?

1) player click multiplayer, he is given option to go ranked or not. if he goes unranked he goes to server browser and just plays as usual
2) player select to play ranked, matchmaking is initialized
3) checking if the player have an entry in matchmaking table ( played ranked match before ) if he didn't, new entry created and neutral ELO is set, if entry exist, continue
4) playerStatus in player's matchmaking entry is changed to LookingFor, ELO_player is retrieved from database and added to entry, current timestamp added
5) checking entries in matchmaking table if there are other players LookingFor, if not found, ask to cancel search, change playerStatus to Finished to exclude his entry from search, if not, wait and check again
6) if players are found, compare ELO, by making and interval of ELO_player +/- 10, filter entries in matchmaking table that fit the interval, if not found, return to cycle and add +/-10 more, each time untill opponents are found
7) from players found select the one with oldest timestamp why? the key priority is speed of matchmaking, therefor it's a deciding criteria
8.) set both players playerStatus to Ranking to exclude their entries from search
9) actual gameplay, can be first to 3 session or just one game, after match is resolved, update each players ELO_player and set their playerStatus to Finished
10) start looking for another opponent
Last edited by snake; Aug 6, 2015 at 02:25 AM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
I think people should have to pick x2 of the categories. Etc pick grapling and stricking, ban kicking. Thus you can still specialize in couple of mods. I dont think you should be able to play ALL the competitive mods. It is true that overall the best player probably can play all competitive mods pretty well. But people should still be a able to specialize in a couple of them. I'd rather also see people who specialize in stricking and grapling mods than people who play all mods decently. Variety is the salt of competition. That way people can specialize but still have to be varied in their mods. Every mod has its unique style and I think best of 5 in 6-7 possible mods is enough. 10 mods to learn properly seems a bit too much for me.

For example in LoL, all the best players can play each role to a certain extent. But to make the best ADC play as Jungle sometimes just because "everyone should be able to play each role" feels a bit dumb. Having to play every single competitive mod possible favors the the players who are "average" in every mod, because even if player x is the best in the game at 3 mods, the 7 others will make him lose. I kinda don't like that.

suggestions

People can still choose to specialize in few mods and be held accountable for all of them. If you're above average in 2/3rds of the mods, your ELO will reflect that as 2/3rds of the time you will get matched in a mod you're quite strong in. What we want is the removal of one trick ponies being revered as the best player in Toribash.

You mentioned LoL matchmaking- Faker is considered to be one of if not the best league player of all time. He maintained #1 in rating in South Korea for as long as he gave a crap about it. Faker plays mid lane, but he's known in queue to play literally any role (jungler, adc, support, top) at the highest level of solo queue play.

I don't see the point I giving someone the option at being terrible at any facet of Toribash and holding a highly praised position in the ranking system. If you want to rely on your amazing ability in 3 mods to overcome your weaknesses in 5 other mods, that's totally cool and I get that. But if you let them just remove the other mods from what they have to play, you make it that much harder to actually prove who's the best overall. And cause more arguments. So much QQ so little pewpew.

I just think the benefits don't outweigh the cons of banning mods. If you could even ban one, most would ban say TK to get super high rank and never play you for it. Or lenshu3ng to be rank 1 and never play... Well the entire Russian community lol
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
okay i will explain why it's bad and why i agree on hax statement

Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
The way you make the queue a great deal shorter and make ranks more reflective of the overall best player in Toribash is list the small, approved, competetive mods in Toribash and when you get matched against someone of close ELO, you won't know for sure which mod you will play in.

Additionally, matchmaking in Toribash should be played in game series rather than just one game. One round in Toribash almost always lasts less than 5 minutes, so even making it "best of 5" would greatly decrease the luck factor that presents itself in the current ranked system.

hax, my despise towards you is positively changing from "get ran over by truck" to "get ran over by car"

so instead get ran over by this little fella

back to the point:

we have players pool of 100 who are currently online ingame

we have fraction of players who want to play ranked, let's say 20

of these fraction we have a fraction of people who want to play grappling 14

and 4 to play striking

and 2 to play kicking

LoL have a huge player pool so thats a terrible example.

if toribash will ever grow to something remotely large and will stop resembling an university side project, you will be able to afford fragmentation of player pool by their specific choices, but you can't do it now, no matter how you summarize 12+6 12+2 6+2 you are still pretty low on numbers to think of that shit.

10 mods is a bit too much, but the short list of official cumpetative mods should be pretty decent, i would even say 3 mods from each category to begin with

again, i have to agree with hax as he surprisingly do understand why taking fraction from fraction of fraction of player pool is horrible idea for such small game as tb

i will bold the text so you will notice

THE MAIN PRIORITY OF MATCHMAKING IS TO FIND A MATCH UP

next priority is to match you up with player who have relative skill to you

and only after that your prefferences

don't be mistaken, we are still talking about cumpetative gameplay and cumpetative matchmaking, but these are the priorities which you need to recognise first, before "i want this, i want that", as they are fundamental

if you click "matchmaking" and wait for a hour to find an opponent - your matchmaking is a complete fail

when numbers grow - you can allow fragmentation, but when it's slim as fuck it's plain stupid.
Last edited by snake; Aug 13, 2015 at 03:33 PM.
tell me about aikido
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
People can still choose to specialize in few mods and be held accountable for all of them. If you're above average in 2/3rds of the mods, your ELO will reflect that as 2/3rds of the time you will get matched in a mod you're quite strong in. What we want is the removal of one trick ponies being revered as the best player in Toribash.

You mentioned LoL matchmaking- Faker is considered to be one of if not the best league player of all time. He maintained #1 in rating in South Korea for as long as he gave a crap about it. Faker plays mid lane, but he's known in queue to play literally any role (jungler, adc, support, top) at the highest level of solo queue play.

I don't see the point I giving someone the option at being terrible at any facet of Toribash and holding a highly praised position in the ranking system. If you want to rely on your amazing ability in 3 mods to overcome your weaknesses in 5 other mods, that's totally cool and I get that. But if you let them just remove the other mods from what they have to play, you make it that much harder to actually prove who's the best overall. And cause more arguments. So much QQ so little pewpew.

I just think the benefits don't outweigh the cons of banning mods. If you could even ban one, most would ban say TK to get super high rank and never play you for it. Or lenshu3ng to be rank 1 and never play... Well the entire Russian community lol

Yeah I don't think either of the viewpoints is wrong/right per say. Its just a difference in approach to the rankings. If you want to prioritize the absolute all-around skill then yeah, having to play all of the mods is something u want.

I just prefer some specialization when it comes to these things. I guess its just a matter of preference. I like to think in the terms of mods: "who is the best at x mod/category of mods?" Some people have a different approach to it.

"I don't see the point I giving someone the option at being terrible at any facet of Toribash and holding a highly praised position in the ranking system."

Well I still think excellence in one area should be praised. If Killer3366 was shit at every other mod than lenshu I would still think highly of him

EDIT: Yeah the player pool might cause some issues with this, its just something Id like to see. Of course practicality > preference in the end
Last edited by cowmeat; Aug 13, 2015 at 02:19 PM.
if you don't want to fragment the pool and wait forever, you just check on "ranked match"! so mainly it will only search for players who wants to play ranked matches with close ELO

what's the problem here? (yes i think match belt is pretty much useless, but it's an option anyway)
Your messed up world enthrills me
Originally Posted by snake View Post
okay i will explain why it's bad and why i agree on hax statement

hax, my despise towards you is positively changing from "get ran over by truck" to "get ran over by car"

so instead get ran over by this little fella

back to the point:

we have players pool of 100 who are currently online ingame

we have fraction of players who want to play ranked, let's say 20

of these fraction we have a fraction of people who want to play grappling 14

and 4 to play striking

and 2 to play kicking

LoL have a huge player pool so thats a terrible example.

if toribash will ever grow to something remotely large and will stop resembling an university side project, you will be able to afford fragmentation of player pool by their specific choices, but you can't do it now, no matter how you summarize 12+6 12+2 6+2 you are still pretty low on numbers to think of that shit.

10 mods is a bit too much, but the short list of official cumpetative mods should be pretty decent, i would even say 3 mods from each category to begin with

again, i have to agree with hax as he surprisingly do understand why taking fraction from fraction of fraction of player pool is horrible idea for such small game as tb

i will bold the text so you will notice

THE MAIN PRIORITY OF MATCHMAKING IS TO FIND A MATCH UP

next priority is to match you up with player who have relative skill to you

and only after that your prefferences

don't be mistaken, we are still talking about cumpetative gameplay and cumpetative matchmaking, but these are the priorities which you need to recognise first, before "i want this, i want that", as they are fundamental

if you click "matchmaking" and wait for a hour to find an opponent - your matchmaking is a complete fail

when numbers grow - you can allow fragmentation, but when it's slim as fuck it's plain stupid.

We can always ignore their preferences on the back end if we can't find a match.
Originally Posted by hampa View Post
We can always ignore their preferences on the back end if we can't find a match.

a diagram on how you will choose to ignore or not please
tell me about aikido
Originally Posted by snake View Post
a diagram on how you will choose to ignore or not please

A flow diagram, get it, because the flow clan. huehuehue

TEXT VERSION

Finding a match with preferences
...........I
...........I
...........I
Found a match with same elo within x minutes? ---------------------- yes -------------- ok good
...........I
...........I
...........I
..........NO
...........I
...........I
...........I
..Ignore preferences
Last edited by cowmeat; Aug 13, 2015 at 07:23 PM.
you forget to notify the client that matches in specific mod/category are not found and ask him to continue search or not, which he can continue to wait for waiting +x cycle time more again and again

if you don't ask him if he wants to continue to wait for specific prefference, meaning if not found it becomes irrelevant, you are basically begging for this block to be removed.

you can argue and debate what can be added, but i would like to remind that instead of adding useless stuff matchmaking should be focused on streamlining everything in order to minimize waiting for matchup.

if implemented streamlined system will prove to be reliable - it can be expanded later, but right now we are talking about adding lots on unnecessary stuff on top of something non-existant yet.
Last edited by snake; Aug 13, 2015 at 08:21 PM.
tell me about aikido
I do agree with that last statement.

As I previously said:
"Functionality > preferences"

But yeah, that's just something id really like to see if the core matchmaking works well enough.
I don't have the dev knowledge to really help with the core system tho at this point anymore.
What is so hard to understand about, 5 mods which you don't get a say in what one you play, first to 3 duel and it automatically pairs you with the closest elo player online.

The logic behind this has been explained about 1000x times and surely you can work out this yourself Hampa. Nothing to even brain storm here, this is how every ranking system works so just do the fkin same.

In SC you DON'T pick what enemy race you want to face.

In hearthstone you DON'T pick what class you want to play against.

Why would it be different in toribash