ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
How fast internet connections do we really need?
If you remove the 'data hoarding' element (downloading full seasons and movie archives at a time), how fast internet do you really need?

I figure most games can run with only a few MB so long as the latency is low, and streaming movies/tv shows only needs enough for HD+ at the moment, the only thing that I can see requiring more bandwidth is of course multitasking (steaming a HD movie while you play some game for example) and if you are downloading a program (a game for example).

To me, around 4MB is the sweet spot for bandwidth. Any more than that and the benefits don't really increase very much. As for latency, obviously as close to 0 is best :P But I can live with 100ms (I used to play WC3 on 4000 so it's not so much a big deal for me).

Do we really need to keep improving our internet beyond this? I know I am being short sighted, and we will find a use for the extra bandwidth, but what could we possibly use it for? @_@
Based on how the market has proceed in the past, we wont know how the internet will be used until it happens, expanding data rates is an investment in future ideas in my opinion, so the sky's the limit.
You need whatever you need for what you do. |: Vague, but correct.

Oh, and HD video streaming. /me cracks knuckles

Well if it's real HD stuff, none of this high resolution low bitrate shite; you'd need at least 12/13 Mbp/s to handle it (ideally 20ish, hihi ADLS2+), and that would get an adequate quality 720 stream (that'd only be with 2.0/2.1 audio though).
Personally I don't count Youtube HD since videos are covered in artefacts from shitty bitrates, and I'm not taking into account that anything with lots of fast moving stuff needs a much higher bitrate to keep the picture from breaking up.
That's just working from averages, the less there is going on the lower the requirement. So one of those tacky love movies would be fine at 8ish, and something with lots of fast camera movements & shit flying all over the place would need a lot more.

Also keep in mind that if you want a perfect 1080 HD stream with no artefacts, optional subtitles & optional surround depending on the video you could easily be looking at up to 64 Mbp/s (without taking overheads into consideration). Pretty shocking really, though I doubt anyone's going to be retarded enough to set up a stream like that. 25 - 30 Mbp/s is more realistic & would only have a single Pro Logic II audio stream in it.
(why Pro Logic II? Because it plays nice with stereo systems & doesn't cause audio volume issues)

Luckily you can get near-perfect DVD quality video streamed down 2.5 Mbp/s connections with lovely Dolby goodness, though you'd ideally want 4 Mbp/s to cover overheads & blips etc.

/video

Yeah, I know a lot about that shit. They joys of steaming stuff around your house.

For gaming... 8 Mbp/s, a good ping & a good upload rate will cover anyone. Anything above that's just going to waste. Gotta emphasise the upload rate which tends to get neglected, it's pointless having a rapid down speed for gaming if you're only getting 0.25 Mbp/s up.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
I have 5 Mbp/s for gaming and so far no problems. Unless I try to join a game with someone from US or Japan.
Gaming is more about ping than bandwidth ^^

No point in having 100gb/s if the ping is 10000ms!
Originally Posted by 8OJ4N View Post
I have 5 Mbp/s for gaming and so far no problems. Unless I try to join a game with someone from US or Japan.

Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
Gaming is more about ping than bandwidth ^^

No point in having 100gb/s if the ping is 10000ms!

I've never had a problem on my line gaming, and it's typical shit quality UK crap. Ideally I'd have more throughput for the piss poor netcode commercial stuff normally has, but it's certainly usable. Yay for sub 3mbps lines.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
I have 1mb for 4/5 computers and it's good so far even playing CoD or FPS games Multiplayer ...
<iRookie>This clan got a lot of epic members, such as missuse and Aj, Pulse and Kaszanas, and I want to be part of them.
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
I've never had a problem on my line gaming, and it's typical shit quality UK crap. Ideally I'd have more throughput for the piss poor netcode commercial stuff normally has, but it's certainly usable. Yay for sub 3mbps lines.

I guess the servers are just closer to you then :P

Over here in Perth, close to nowhere, even if I am using a line jacked directly in to one of our 10gb/s trunks, I will get at least a couple of hundred ms ping from most games. I guess the international lines are not so flash...

:<
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
It depends on the ISP, Vergin media offer a service I've used before for 50Mb/s optical fiber, the ping on it shows 70ms, however in actuality latency is around 500 to 700ms