Toribash
Original Post
Multiple version choices on Steam
As most of you know, new version of Toribash usually comes with its fair share of bugs and failures. Not to say that developers are doing something wrong as it is to be expected from any update in a game, but after such updates some people can't even run the game, which results in flow of reports in Technical Support board and many people having to switch to standalone version until fixes get released.

However, there is a possible solution. See, Steam has a nice feature, which allows people to switch between versions of the game in properties tab. Currently, Toribash only has only one choice of version of the game, and that is always the most recent version.

What I am suggesting is adding an additional version of Toribash to Steam, which would be bug-free and could be used as temporary replacement for newest version if people find any problems with it. This version would be static and would not change to ensure that all players can run it (I'm thinking 4.x or 5.3-5.9). This would make it much more convenient for Steam players to still enjoy the game even if the new version has problems, and switch back to the newest version when bugs are finally fixed.
Last edited by Smaguris; May 4, 2017 at 12:25 PM.
New versions now usually contain improvements that affect essential game features (example being matchmaking that switched to a different server), that's why it wouldn't make much sense to let users stay on outdated versions unless there are critical bugs in the latest build. And if there are, we roll back the default build branch to an earlier version.
I mean, why would you want to use an older version anyways, because the newer version only add things. Why do people honestly thing older versions work better. I mean maybe because older versions have less and can work easier for some people's computers, but j see this idea as counterintuitive, even still, the Steam auto updating, is a Steam thing, not a game thing.
Originally Posted by sir View Post
New versions now usually contain improvements that affect essential game features (example being matchmaking that switched to a different server), that's why it wouldn't make much sense to let users stay on outdated versions unless there are critical bugs in the latest build. And if there are, we roll back the default build branch to an earlier version.

Yeah, but most of the time if people have troubles with current version, they are suggested to download an older version of the game, which is exactly what I'm suggesting, but without a hassle of switching to standalone version.

To give an example, as you already know recently there were some problems from Mac users as they couldn't even run the newest version of the game, for few weeks they were forced to switch back to older version if they wanted to play the game. This is a very good example where an option to switch to older version could have been much more convenient for all these users.
Yeah, but with Steam the ability to play older versions, that's a Steam thing not a game thing though right?
-----
When I say that what I mean is, when you are in Steam, it sorta forces updates and you just opt to use beta versions if available.
Last edited by MrMiyagy; May 4, 2017 at 04:29 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by MrMiyagy View Post
Yeah, but with Steam the ability to play older versions, that's a Steam thing not a game thing though right?
-----
When I say that what I mean is, when you are in Steam, it sorta forces updates and you just opt to use beta versions if available.

You don't know how Steam works, right?
What Smag is suggesting is possible, it's just that there's little use to it.
I know exactly how Steam works. When a game needs updated and you don't update it and try to open it, if automatically updates. That's what it always does and my friends complain about it. Even still, there would be little use as you said, even if it worked.
Okay okay Miyagy, you got your point across, I really can't be bothered to explain to you how easy it is to switch between versions so just move on, thanks.

I'm not saying it would be a huge thing that everyone would use, just that I've noticed in technical support board how often people find new update not working properly to them, so i feel like this could be a good and quick solution to all of those people while they are waiting for fixes