Ranking
$10 says she was forced to have sex, as in raped.....

makes me incredibly sad and depressed that several parts of the world do horrific things like this, but it also makes me happy to know that everyone i care for and love all live in free countries.
I type as I speak, with several commas and run on sentences, dont be hatin'.
Originally Posted by AHD View Post
It's hard to imagine, that a country and a culture gets
thrown into medieval stage (I hope you know what I mean) in ~30-40 years.

I do know what you mean. It's a bit further back than medieval times, though: it's more like when Jesus was around. That was a law in Israel that if a Woman commits adultery, she is to be stoned to Death, while a man can f**k whoever the f**k he wants to f**k and not be stoned to death.
(Insert some form of an animation or a slightly wise and/or satyrical statement here)
Originally Posted by Logic View Post
His comment could also be interpreted as a critique of passing judgment on the beliefs and actions of other cultures, when we ourselves still have quite a few draconian correctional procedures (in the US anyway, I don't know much about everywhere else).

Conflicts of interest are normal. Would it not be morally reprehensible to sit there and wait idly while Nazi Germany exterminates all non-Aryan people?
After all, we wouldn't want to pass judgment on the deeply-held beliefs of Nazi party - that would just be so insensitive and terrible...Let alone actually shooting them! :O Oh my oh my...

We have only our judgment to rely on, and I think that whenever we evaluate any action we need to ask ourselves whether it supports our core mutual interests (namely survival and pursuit of happiness). Passiveness is not inherently better as far as our morality is concerned.
Last edited by Odlov; Jul 10, 2010 at 05:45 PM.
Originally Posted by Odlov View Post
Conflicts of interest are normal. Would it not be morally reprehensible to sit there and wait idly while Nazi Germany exterminates all non-Aryan people?
After all, we wouldn't want to pass judgment on the deeply-held beliefs of Nazi party - that would just be so insensitive and terrible...Let alone actually shooting them! :O Oh my oh my...

We have only our judgment to rely on, and I think that whenever we evaluate any action we need to ask ourselves whether it supports our core mutual interests (namely survival and pursuit of happiness). Passiveness is not inherently better as far as our morality is concerned.

I don't disagree, but I think it's important to clarify whose core interests you are standing up for. Are you intervening in another culture because you think they are backwards, uncivilized, primitive, or wrong for ideological reasons (in this case you are just ethnocentrically imposing your own core interests and beliefs, the interests are not mutual, and we can easily look to history for examples of this), or because you are actually motivated by mutual interests, the maintenance of the collective, greater good (history also has examples of this). The latter is appropriate, as you say, but it's important to distinguish it from the former, which enables governments to intervene in other countries for purely self-interested reasons, while under the guise of championing mutual interests. What I'm doing is trying to draw that line separating them.

For example, the US is criticized for invading Iraq, even though one of the guises was to 'liberate' the people from the dictatorship - a claim to mutual interest. Obviously our policy is not based purely on such altruistic motivations, as we should have intervened in the Rwandan genocide if it were (and not repeatedly lied about what the Iraq war was about while making billions rebuilding).

So I'm saying that yes, obviously sitting idly while Nazis murder people is wrong, but why it is wrong is important. Do we see it as wrong because we are truly compassionate? Or because our cultures have inculcated in us feelings of moral superiority? Much of the language in this thread suggests the latter, and that's what I'm pointing out.
I don't disagree, but I think it's important to clarify whose core interests you are standing up for. Are you intervening in another culture because you think they are backwards, uncivilized, primitive, or wrong for ideological reasons (in this case you are just ethnocentrically imposing your own core interests and beliefs, the interests are not mutual, and we can easily look to history for examples of this), or because you are actually motivated by mutual interests, the maintenance of the collective, greater good (history also has examples of this).

The first and second group of reasons are practically the same - you just changed the words. When Allies fought Nazi Germany and stopped Hitler from doing whatever it is he was doing, WE WERE doing it because we thought he was wrong for ideological reasons and WE WERE imposing our own core interests and beliefs on him.

There are no 2 ways to go about it
, Logic. Cultures often revolve around some ideology, and they are not some untouchable things beyond criticism and evaluation. They can be beneficial to mutual human cause or they can be hazardous. They can succeed or they can fail, like Soviet Communism.

Our upbringing will inevitably have an effect on formation of our psyche and world view. The only thing we can do is use our reason as best as we can to try and protect the interests which we all have in common. That includes extinguishing ideologies and cultures who miserably fail to do so.
The first and second group of reasons are practically the same - you just changed the words.

No, they are fundamentally different - like I said, I think the invasion of Iraq is an example the US imposing self interest (although one false rationalization was that it was for mutual interest), while intervening in the Rwandan genocide, which the US did not do, would have been for mutual interest (true compassion doesn't have any economic incentives - probably why it did not happen).

When Allies fought Nazi Germany and stopped Hitler from doing whatever it is he was doing, WE WERE doing it because we thought he was wrong for ideological reasons and WE WERE imposing our own core interests and beliefs on him.

Yes, those are both part of the first type of intervention that I outlined in the earlier post.

Originally Posted by Odlov View Post
There are no 2 ways to go about it[/B], Logic. Cultures often revolve around some ideology, and they are not some untouchable things beyond criticism and evaluation. They can be beneficial to mutual human cause or they can be hazardous. They can succeed or they can fail, like Soviet Communism.

No, there are 2 ways about it. You can allow people to have freedom of thought and belief , while still intervene when their actions endanger others. That's one thing the US is supposed to be about, allowing people personal freedom, but when the exercise of said freedom infringes this right of others, intervention is appropriate.

So, who cares, for example, if Nazis have beliefs that are racist and bizarre? I don't advocate policing thoughtcrime, let people think what they want. It is, however, ok to criticize their beliefs, they are not untouchably sacrosanct, but no one should act on imposing different beliefs on them, put them in jail, or kill them just for having bizarre beliefs. What matters is if they act on it in a way that endangers others, that's what should be stopped.

So, tying it back to the Iran thing, the execution should be condemned or even stopped because it is a public health issue, not because it manifests "uncivilized beliefs." It is hypocritical and contradictory to impose ethics on others.

Our upbringing will inevitably have an effect on formation of our psyche and world view. The only thing we can do is use our reason as best as we can to try and protect the interests which we all have in common. That includes extinguishing ideologies and cultures who miserably fail to do so.

This type of thinking is exactly what we are criticizing about the Iranian govt. and the Nazis. That somehow you are born into the culture with the one correct, universal understanding of reality, whose methods of reasoning and acting have generated in you the perfect understanding of the common good, and that you have the authority to force that on others.

Edit - i do see what you are saying, and you could reply that intervening for a public health issue (which i advocate) is the same thing as intervening to 'civilize them primitives' (sarcasm - but that's the attitude many have expressed here) - because all we have is our own understanding of what the public good really is. I'm just trying to point out the irony of trying to justify imposing ethics our on people because they imposed their ethics on people.
Last edited by Logic; Jul 10, 2010 at 09:32 PM.
No, they are fundamentally different - like I said, I think the invasion of Iraq is an example the US imposing self interest (although one false rationalization was that it was for mutual interest), while intervening in the Rwandan genocide, which the US did not do, would have been for mutual interest (true compassion doesn't have any economic incentives - probably why it did not happen).

I am not advocating stopping people for bizarre ideologies, but stopping people for bizarre acts caused by their bizarre ideologies. The two go hand in hand.

Likewise I am not defending US intervention in Iraq, especially since Saddam Hussein was likely US puppet to begin with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CONsolg95E

Yes, those are both part of the first type of intervention that I outlined in the earlier post.

So you would rather have not done it?
Surely you mean the second type of intervention.

No, there are 2 ways about it. You can allow people to have freedom of thought and belief , while still intervene when their actions endanger others.

That is it. I assumed action tied to ideological convictions in my previous post, because that's what always happens.
If Hitler quietly believed that Jews have to be exterminated, we wouldn't have any problem. alas, people have a tendency to act on their convictions.

So, tying it back to the Iran thing, the execution should be condemned or even stopped because it is a public health issue, not because it manifests "uncivilized beliefs." It is hypocritical and contradictory to impose ethics on others.

Isn't imposing ethics on others precisely what you would be doing by intervening into their executions? I understand the whole "punish actions not thoughts" thing, but by condemning one you are condemning the other. People don't act without motivations.

This type of thinking is exactly what we are criticizing about the Iranian govt. and the Nazis. That somehow you are born into the culture with the one correct, universal understanding of reality, whose methods of reasoning and acting have generated in you the perfect understanding of the common good, and that you have the authority to force that on others.

Nowhere did i say anything about perfect understanding and inherent entitlement. All i was getting at is that there is no way of completely isolating your perspective from your cultural background, so all you can do is try to use your reason and be as objective as possible.

because all we have is our own understanding of what the public good really is.

And what? Idly observing events is somehow better? Do we get "morality points" for shutting down our collective judgment and just chilling?
You say that you would intervene for a public health issue, but why? Could it be because we all want to live and be happy? But that's just your own understanding of what the public good really is. In reality Iranians are saving that woman from eternal damnation in hell by stoning her, because they have a secret knowledge revealed to them by God.

tl;dr: you have to work with what you have got.
Last edited by Odlov; Jul 10, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
I don't really disagree with you, but here is what I'm trying to get us to look at.

Nowhere did i say anything about perfect understanding and inherent entitlement. All i was getting at is that there is no way of completely isolating your perspective from your cultural background, so all you can do is try to use your reason and be as objective as possible.

Since there is no way to get a hold on objective truth, how exactly do you determine when to take an action, specifically an act of war or military intervention (since that's what a lot of our examples have been about)? You are saying there are gradations of objectivity ("as objective as possible"), so how do you know when your perspective is objective enough to warrant the violence of warfare?

What I've been trying to communicate is that this is such a tricky area that it's good to be aware of the different strategies people use for this process of justification, and a stronger position admits the caveat that you can't know for certain you're right, you just have to reason toward it like you said, and the weaker position just claims the certain knowledge of rightness - that's what I was critiquing about this thread.

So I think we actually agree in general, but I'm trying to look at specifically how we decide our reasoning is sufficient.

In reality Iranians are saving that woman from eternal damnation in hell by stoning her, because they have a secret knowledge revealed to them by God.

Not to change the topic too much, but consider this. Hypothetically, what if this is what the woman to be executed believed? Would that change anything? If she really believed her execution was in her best interest, does that affect the responsibilities others might have to "save" her - because in this case, to her, what others might perceive as saving, she would see as condemning to eternal damnation.

We see this, for example, in missionary work - where often proselytizing zealots believe they are "saving" indigenous people, while to those people, they often see this as culturally imperialistic, paternalistic, cultural destruction. But aren't these missionaries just doing what they think is right, reasoning toward helping others in the best way they know how?
Since there is no way to get a hold on objective truth, how exactly do you determine when to take an action, specifically an act of war or military intervention (since that's what a lot of our examples have been about)? You are saying there are gradations of objectivity ("as objective as possible"), so how do you know when your perspective is objective enough to warrant the violence of warfare?

Reason.
Do you have an alternative?
It's not like there are a whole lot of methods we can employ to determine truth of a proposition.

Again i want to emphasize that not involving yourself in a situation is a decision, and is no more exempt from moral evaluation than involving yourself in a situation.

So I think we actually agree in general, but I'm trying to look at specifically how we decide our reasoning is sufficient.

By seeing it work elsewhere, maybe?

Not to change the topic too much, but consider this. Hypothetically, what if this is what the woman to be executed believed? Would that change anything? If she really believed her execution was in her best interest, does that affect the responsibilities others might have to "save" her - because in this case, to her, what others might perceive as saving, she would see as condemning to eternal damnation.

If changing her perspective is not an option, than by all means let her die.

If she is receptive to different ideas and can be convinced of implausibility of her beliefs, than that would be a more altruistic solution i think.
Really though, if she is so deluded as to think she deserves to die, as Logic proposed, she wouldn't have banged that guy.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well