Ranking
Original Post
128bit vs 256bit graphics cards.
got the option to buy a 128 bit or 256 bit asus ati HD5770.
and i want to know what the difference is, performance wise between the 2.

90% of the options i have to buy here are 128 bit and i have friends who say it doesnt make a difference for us, and some that say it obviously does.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
if you buy the 256bit card you will need a computer can can support the need of the card.
If you have 64x windows then thats a good sign, but 32x windows go for the 128bit
general consensus seems to be this on other forums:
Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post
Well actually, Ultima, when it comes to comparing the same/similar card, especially when it comes to memory interfaces, bigger is always better.

so im running windows 7 32bit atm. it wouldnt be worth it?
what if i upgrade to 64bit windows 7?
performance difference much better?

i have both options atm
so next question: any downsides to upgrading to 64bit?
How much is the price difference between the 2 boards?

And only the bus is different?

EDIT: I just found this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/285031-15-5770

They keep saying that there is no 5770 using 256 bit...
Last edited by vladvlad; Jul 1, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
Proud member of [Pandora]
hmmm...
thats quite disconcerting...

emailing the guy now

edit:
k it seems the 256 bit does not exist.

next question:
whats the difference, performance wise between the asus hd5770 and the normal, vlub hd5770 and the sapphire hd5770.

same card different brands, different prices. from experience and reputation, the asus and sapphire cards are better brands, not really arguing.
but why? i see no difference between the stats.
do the asus and sapphire cards allow you to crossfire while the club doesnt?

will be doing my own research as well, but id like mroe oppinions
Last edited by BenDover; Jul 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM.
Originally Posted by tagknife View Post
if you buy the 256bit card you will need a computer can can support the need of the card.
If you have 64x windows then thats a good sign, but 32x windows go for the 128bit

Woah there, it has nothing to do with the operative system. It has to do with the dedicated memory bus/width.
And yes. 256bit is better since it will allow more data to go through at the same time. It like comparing a normal road to a highway.
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Jul 1, 2010 at 02:41 PM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
hmmm...
thats quite disconcerting...

emailing the guy now

edit:
k it seems the 256 bit does not exist.

next question:
whats the difference, performance wise between the asus hd5770 and the normal, vlub hd5770 and the sapphire hd5770.

same card different brands, different prices. from experience and reputation, the asus and sapphire cards are better brands, not really arguing.
but why? i see no difference between the stats.
do the asus and sapphire cards allow you to crossfire while the club doesnt?

will be doing my own research as well, but id like mroe oppinions

I dont know about the other 2 card makers, but I personally like sapphire, mostly because they use hardly any of your pc's power supply. This is because they use their own power supplies in their graphics cards, and when talking about the 5770 there is no doubt they will have one installed on that. Also, in my opinion, the drivers are much more reliable. But if for some reason you dont like sapphire, go for a PowerColor card, they are quite good too
sapphire dont make the drivers, ati do, so it doesnt matter which one i get really...

also, saying you dont know the other 2 is like saying "iv only tried this one but i can tell its best" you havnt experienced the others but are judging them

asus, by reputation is better than sapphire, but sapphire offer a wider range, with more price options for cards within the same range.

powersupply is no issue, id rather pay less on the card and pay more for the psu, less strain on the card, less heat, better performance. etc.

got a few other oppinions and done some research, it was just a typo on the brochure, but the price is still good for an asus.

going for the asus hd5770 1gb 128bit
It may not be 256 bit but it's using GDDR5 which is quad pumped(GDDR5 128bit is about the same thing as GDDR3 256bit) so it definately won't be slow.
Proud member of [Pandora]
Memory bandwidth will matter only so much from game to game, on a game like toribash you will notice no difference, but when you see a larger enviroment like oblivion, crysis or some other large 3D terrain area with complex character models, memory bandwidth makes a visable difference.

However even here what you are looking at is only a single settings up difference on model complexity, the most difference is overclocking room imo as the larger bus gives you more overhead to OC into.

If you don't plan on OCing, go for which ever is more convenient and better rated, or for the lower price.