Toribash
Perfection? Is that when a society is tailor-made for each individual? That of course is not achievable, at least not by traditional means.
In the BNW, Mr. Ford solved the problem of human suffering by simply disabling variation. Everyone was 'perfectly designed' for one of several castes, and their happiness was pretty much guaranteed. Still, most outsiders would find this society a bizarre experiment and lacking something dear to us.

As long as there is variation (which is a crucial mechanism of life), there will be those who suffer extra and those who benefit extra. We can minimize it, of course, but not eradicate it (without altering ourselves in a big way). This is why I think automatically blaming the society is unreasonable. Nature is as much at fault, which is really the same as saying "nobody is".
Last edited by Odlov; Jan 30, 2011 at 05:47 AM.
Saying society is at fault for suicides is like saying cigarettes are the only/main cause of cancer.

There are hundreds upon thousands of variables when it comes to overall enjoyment of life, whether it be biological, situational, or even genetic. You can't really pin it down to what causes a person to be driven to suicide because everything* effects our mood.
Omnia Mori
sed Evici Amor
Hmm suicide has pretty much become very popular among teenagers these days. Not sure what to point my finger at though, probably just that we're more asshole-y than we were in the past.
I bet over half of you don't personally know anybody who has committed suicide. My grandpa shot himself back in 02 due to pain. He had been through at least 8-9 heart attacks and had just gotten released from the hospital due to another one. He lived a good life, had an excellent reputation, and had pretty much fulfilled his life dreams. He just couldn't stand the pain of any more heart attacks.
Bounafizta says:
My love for u has gotten me detention like 4 times lol
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
Come now Odlov, we both know this topic comes up a lot.

I consider no losses to be acceptable. Perfection is something we should strive to achieve. The day we say "well, this is good enough" is the day we stop trying to improve, and the day that things start moving backwards.

What we have now will never be enough, and that too is part of the strengths of life.

Originally Posted by tacoBELL View Post
I bet over half of you don't personally know anybody who has committed suicide. My grandpa shot himself back in 02 due to pain. He had been through at least 8-9 heart attacks and had just gotten released from the hospital due to another one. He lived a good life, had an excellent reputation, and had pretty much fulfilled his life dreams. He just couldn't stand the pain of any more heart attacks.

I see where you're coming from. But I guess that he feared the fear of death.

Let me add something to think about.

What doesn't kill you or maim/disable you, will only make you stronger, and ready for the future.

Keep that in mind.
Suicide cant be blamed on society alone in truth suicide is just a simple algebra problem example.y+x=z with y being thier life and x being thier mental health and z being suicide.People kill themselves becuze they believe there is no other way to answer thier problem of cant face a fact on his/her life.On the sidenote suicide is the permanent solution to a temporary problem for it will stop the problem in the case that it is a rejection,parents fighting,or being a loser and being bullied but will affect everyone.In the end suicide is something most people will face in thier lives and society is perfect afterall
Say: Eye Spell: Map Say Ness :3
w-w-w-w-what don't kill meh... can only make me stronguh....

In my opinion, there are two types of suicide:

1) the cowards way out. Simulation: Terry has no friends, and his parents are at work all day and night. Terry isn't attractive, isn't athletic, and isn't cool. He spends his life on his computer, playing WoW all day and night. One day, his computer crashes for good. Terry commits suicide.

Another example: John is facing a hard breakup, he then has to meet his ex girlfriend at a park, he panicks, and kills himself.

That is the way of a no balls loser.

2) The honorable death. Simulation: "Go Go Go!!! Hurry, we need to get out of here! the zombies' are coming!" "crap! the detonator won't blow!" "I'll blow it manualy, just get everyone outa here!" *BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!*

*Here lies Arthur, brave soldier who gave his life for his squad. He shall be remembered.*

Just because you're ugly, or a nerd doesn't mean you have to kill yourself. How would you feel if you were a kid in St. Judes' hospital? You don't see those kids commiting suicide, or cutting themselves, or even going goth/emo.

Life is a highway, you can either get on it, or don't take it. but once you're on the road, you can't just pullover. (The heaven cops will have your ass.)

Life is a challenge, either face it, or get the fuck out before you're born.
the inner machinations of my mind are an enigma
Originally Posted by Cloneone1 View Post
I see where you're coming from. But I guess that he feared the fear of death.

Let me add something to think about.

What doesn't kill you or maim/disable you, will only make you stronger, and ready for the future.

Keep that in mind.

He didn't fear the fear of death. He didn't want to go through any more pain nor cause it for the family. If he feared death, why would he kill himself?
Bounafizta says:
My love for u has gotten me detention like 4 times lol
Originally Posted by tacoBELL View Post
He didn't fear the fear of death. He didn't want to go through any more pain nor cause it for the family. If he feared death, why would he kill himself?

Fearing the fear of death means being scared of the feeling that you are going to die. I'm sure that you know him better than I do, but I think he could have been afraid to die by other means.

@Hyde Look at you. I really respect your point of view! Great minds think alike.
Originally Posted by Odlov View Post
Perfection? Is that when a society is tailor-made for each individual? That of course is not achievable, at least not by traditional means.
In the BNW, Mr. Ford solved the problem of human suffering by simply disabling variation. Everyone was 'perfectly designed' for one of several castes, and their happiness was pretty much guaranteed. Still, most outsiders would find this society a bizarre experiment and lacking something dear to us.

As long as there is variation (which is a crucial mechanism of life), there will be those who suffer extra and those who benefit extra. We can minimize it, of course, but not eradicate it (without altering ourselves in a big way). This is why I think automatically blaming the society is unreasonable. Nature is as much at fault, which is really the same as saying "nobody is".

Of course it isn't achievable.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."