Ranking
Original Post
A thread about America on Toribash and The Internet
First note: I'm not making this thread to bash America. This is a discussion thread, not a rant.

Many online internet forums have large concentrations of Americans in their user base. Toribash alone consists of about 38 % Americans (statistic provided by GMan80). Still, like everyone else, since they're under 50 percents they can be defined as a minority, and you should think that they would be required to explain their country as a result. Yet, American terms are taken for granted. And, as an example, there's a large number of young people so high school and college stories are abundant. To non-americans, many of these institutions are not understood, yet Americans use the words as if everyone understands. They rarely explain them, if not to say never. Educational systems vary a lot from country to country, but the American educational system goes without explanation. Why is this?

Number 1: Americans are a bit arrogant. Some will assume that most other people are aware of how things work in their country. This applies to both education and other things such as economy and politics. Nobody should deny that America, if not the sole numero uno, is one of the most prominent nations in the world. As a consequence, Americans may assume that outsiders automatically take interest in America and has knowledge about it. If people lack the knowledge, it's their duty to go learn something. Thus, they don't have to explain anything when they are talking on forums. If people don't understand what they're talking about, it's their own fault.

Number 2: Ignorance. It's similar to arrogance but this is based on the assumption that people know everything because of their position in global society. The difference, though, is that they don't regard people that don't understand America as badly-informed, but they just have false assumptions on outsiders' knowledge.

Number 3: Forgetful and lazy people. They are well aware that someone might not understand the terms but are too lazy or forgetful to explain it, effectively leaving out a large number of people from the discussion.

Number 4: Asocial people. They don't need to explain themselves. If somebody doesn't understand a post, it's not much of a loss to these people. The majority of people are American so they understand. The need to befriend a Frenchman isn't particularly huge, especially if he doesn't understand the workings of America. Sticking with your American mates is completely legitimate and there are more than enough Americans to keep a discussion running.

And now, let me specify again that this is not an "I-hate-america" post.

Thoughts and discussion, go.
Last edited by CMon; Jul 17, 2009 at 03:29 PM.
Well, I don't know how it is in Norway, but in the average USA education we are taught absolutely nothing about other school systems. The only thing I've learned about any other country's school system over my 12 years in school is that you get a hat when you graduate in Sweeden.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well
Originally Posted by War_Hero View Post
Well, I don't know how it is in Norway, but in the average USA education we are taught absolutely nothing about other school systems. The only thing I've learned about any other country's school system over my 12 years in school is that you get a hat when you graduate in Sweeden.

Well, that is another problem too, in my opinion.

While I learned the capital of all western countries in 6th grade, some (some, not all) Americans seem to have trouble placing Norway on the map. One guy even asked me once which state Norway was located in.

Now I'm not quite sure how your school system works when it comes to the different subjects, but I am of the impression that foreign history, politics and geography are not mandatory subjects. Sadly, I think this underlines my points of ignorance and/or arrogance.
Originally Posted by CMon View Post
Now I'm not quite sure how your school system works when it comes to the different subjects, but I am of the impression that foreign history, politics and geography are not mandatory subjects. Sadly, I think this underlines my points of ignorance and/or arrogance.

No, they are required every year. Well, politics and geography are usually part of history classes. From my experience though, most people suck at geography. I once had to help a girl find Vietnam on a map of southeast Asia right after we did a whole chapter on the Vietnam war.

You probably have a harder time with americans wondering where Norway is because we never fought you. Most history classes teach four main sub-subjects: Wars that USA has been in, the last 400 years of Britain and France, ancient history (Rome, Egypt, China, etc), and the rise of protestantism. Teachers tend to leave out anything that doesn't have a major impact on USA.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
You probably have a harder time with americans wondering where Norway is because we never fought you. Most history classes teach four main sub-subjects: Wars that USA has been in, the last 400 years of Britain and France, ancient history (Rome, Egypt, China, etc), and the rise of protestantism. Teachers tend to leave out anything that doesn't have a major impact on USA.

During my last two years (that'd be the 12th and 13th grade numerically) we have been through the subjects; Ancient History, rise and history of China and Asia, Vikings, Feudalism, The Middle Ages in Europe, Exploration Ages, Renaissance, Baroque, Colonization and de-colonization, World War I and II, the Cold War period and recent norwegian politics. Although that's probably a few levels above standard grade history.

The history we learnt when I was a wee bit younger usually revolved around the western world, and a lot of it could be tied to Norway. It's easy to see the importance of learning about heritage and such, but it shouldn't be exclusive as it's easy to become egomaniacs with poor walking vision. I must admit that up until the 10th grade or something I thought that most muslims were bad. Needlessly to say, I was horribly misinformed.
Originally Posted by CMon View Post
During my last two years (that'd be the 12th and 13th grade numerically) we have been through the subjects; Ancient History, rise and history of China and Asia, Vikings, Feudalism, The Middle Ages in Europe, Exploration Ages, Renaissance, Baroque, Colonization and de-colonization, World War I and II, the Cold War period and recent norwegian politics. Although that's probably a few levels above standard grade history.

The history we learnt when I was a wee bit younger usually revolved around the western world, and a lot of it could be tied to Norway. It's easy to see the importance of learning about heritage and such, but it shouldn't be exclusive as it's easy to become egomaniacs with poor walking vision. I must admit that up until the 10th grade or something I thought that most muslims were bad. Needlessly to say, I was horribly misinformed.

I probably left a bunch of stuff off my list, but the teachers I've had have left out large portions of history. We don't learn anything about Scandinavia (except a bit on vikings around grades 4-5(5-6)), the middle east before the 1900s, Africa (except South Africa), etc.

Also, USA is physically isolated from most of the world.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
Also, USA is physically isolated from most of the world.

George W. Bush admitted at one point that he were unfamiliar with the name of Canada's prime minister.

That's more of a fun fact than debate leverage but still. I'm also considering moving this to Discussion.

EDIT: What the hell, I'll do it.
lol, Well i am an american and i will say you speak of the Younger population of america for the most part >.< But i do agree with you i dont think every one is like this just most of them and dont judge the country on Bush's actions he was the worst president we have ever had
Robert A. Heinlein: "Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny."
I think the biggest problem is, as you guys have already mentioned, that American schools are severely lacking in any sort of real education when it comes to global issues. Like War said, for our first 12 years in school we learn very little about any country other than the U.S. As far as I know most schools don't even have actual geography classes anymore, and for the most part the only chance we have to learn about these things without doing independent study is in collage (which most U.S. Citizens either cant afford or get thousands in debt (like this guy) paying for.)

I hear a lot (on internets and from people who have immigrated) that the U.S. is seen as very arrogant in the rest of the world, and after spending my life here I can't say that I disagree. And while it does suck that many U.S. Citizens are not ignorant, but get lumped into the stereotype, I also can't imagine what it is like to be on the outside and see the things our country does.

As for schools, I am 26 now and have only vague ideas of how schooling works in any country other than the U.S. or China. But if you want an explanation, why not just ask? Even if you get a few dicky replies, there is bound to be someone around who will explain.
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
I know a fair bit about history of the world and the religions not because the schools taught me, but because my natural curiosity led me to learn them. You can only be forced to learn so much, and at the end of the day, you'll only learn what you want to. I don't remember jack diddly shit about my history and math classes from elementary school, because I'm not interested in that. I remember all of my language, I really enjoy writing and speaking.

My point is, if you really want to learn something, you don't need a college professor to teach it to you. There are plenty of resources available that anyone could learn just about whatever they wanted to, at no cost. All it takes is time and effort. My point being, if a stupid American has to be forced into 'learning' world history, at the end of the day he won't learn a thing.