Toribash
Myself, being a noob, learned the game through playing multiplayer. I only play SP when I think I have something to help my multiplyer, I don't have a problem with it as it is,

Originally Posted by Volt
Simply put, it's fine how it is.
Noobs that lose when they're supposed to lose, will learn.
Noobs that win when they're supposed to lose, will learn (and get another turn to attempt to improve).

Originally Posted by 3vi1 View Post
Correct; correct. Done.

If someone doesn't know how to play, then they'll learn (eventually) or lose interest. I don't see what the problem is, providing they don't attempt to join tourneys. Noobs who can't play will always exist in every game. It's a fact.

And to those who are saying they practiced for some long period on singleplayer before playing with other people, all I can say is: Good for you. You've obviously got the presence of mind that a fair few lack. I'm pretty sure that everyone spends/spent some time in singleplayer, even if that time was small.

Toribash is an inherently competitive game. People who don't know how to compete lose. Problem over, in my eyes.

I've found that the biggest problem with multiplayer versus single player is that, even at the same dismemberment threshold, dismemberment seems to work entirely different online than it does against Uke. It seems that in anything but Sambo I end up getting literally torn to pieces every time. What's strange is that I've looked at the replays, and I'll smack the hell out of someone with a punch or kick that looks like it's moving pretty fast, yet someone will just barely brush their fist against one of my joints and my whole limb just goes rocketing away from my body.
Vlad, unfortunately the game's damage detection system doesn't operate as you would expect it would in the real world in about 20% of your games. Happens to all of us, and we call it |-|/-\>< (hax) .

You've just gotta face the problem like a man and forget about it completely and move on, and realize that it'll either happen in your favour, or for 80% of the time, be your usual tori round.
Originally Posted by TSR View Post
Vlad, unfortunately the game's damage detection system doesn't operate as you would expect it would in the real world in about 20% of your games. Happens to all of us, and we call it |-|/-\>< (hax) .

You've just gotta face the problem like a man and forget about it completely and move on, and realize that it'll either happen in your favour, or for 80% of the time, be your usual tori round.

Funny thing is, in a way that makes me feel quite a bit better to know that I wasn't just seriously missing something. I've found that I tend to prefer Sambo anyway, so it's not really an issue as the most dismemberment I've ever seen there is an arm or hand being ripped off maybe one out of every ten games.
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Funny thing is, in a way that makes me feel quite a bit better to know that I wasn't just seriously missing something. I've found that I tend to prefer Sambo anyway, so it's not really an issue as the most dismemberment I've ever seen there is an arm or hand being ripped off maybe one out of every ten games.

Sambo and Aikido are FTW.
The main reason dismemberment seems different in mp as opposed to sp is that in multiplayer, damage doesn't dissipate as fast, if at all.
This is what results in weak hits breaking things.
Conversely, the reason some of your stronger hit don't break anything is due to the fact that more experienced players can anticipate attacks and disperse damage from them, in order to avoid dismemberment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

<Ownzilas> Alright
<Ownzilas> 3'2 then
<Ownzilas> Half PID's dick.