ES Recruitment Drive
i'll mention my case with regards to striking as i think it should be a huge part of the game.

imo there shouldn't be 1 mod only for striking or even 2..but 3

50tf/30tf/40tf with their corresponding gravity are marquee settings for striking players. The meta is the same which is striking, but they offer a great variety. You can't replace one for the other IMO. I'd be glad for you to argue my point though!

lenshu3ng: would suggest no modifications there

rk-mma: would suggest a slightly larger dojo. preferably same as lenshu3ng

you see rk has weaker gravity than lenshu3ng, so it makes total sense that it has same dojo size! would love to see the thoughts of striking players here too.

wushu: use wushu3dome or wushu3box. They are BOTH good enough to be considered competitive. You just can't leave wushu out specially when there is a competitive mod for it but people are disagreeing on which mod to use.

grappling mods..I'm sure plenty other people know about it more than I do.

kicking mod, idk why you're considering it a meta. erthtk/tk is just a striking mod with different tf, don't you agree?

i would have only two mod types: striking/grappling

striking: wushu3box/wushu3dome rk-mma(modified maybe) lenshu3ng erthtkv2
grappling: IDK
Your messed up world enthrills me
Originally Posted by William View Post
kicking mod, idk why you're considering it a meta. erthtk/tk is just a striking mod with different tf, don't you agree?

im gonna have to disagree

this may be a bad analogy but how i like to think of it is that, erthtk to tk is sort of like lenshu3ng to wushu. there is the same core play type that comes to mind since they're mods of similar types.
but when it comes to the technicals it isn't quite the same (although it might not be as drastic as the striking mods.)

just like hax said before
for example in tk a block that is not well placed or brute forced their way through will result in a arm dm of somekind.

meanwhile in erthtk, the higher dm threshold prevents these as well as the seemingly random dm's that occur when you move a bruised joint and it just falls off (to an extent.)
also the higher gravity and out of ring dojo dq in erthtk prevents wrist break runners from floating away once they have a mere 1k point lead
i sell pocket pussies
[Ae]ther | cncpls | [OoT] | SR
Originally Posted by adam2332 View Post
im gonna have to disagree

this may be a bad analogy but how i like to think of it is that, erthtk to tk is sort of like lenshu3ng to wushu. there is the same core play type that comes to mind since they're mods of similar types.
but when it comes to the technicals it isn't quite the same (although it might not be as drastic as the striking mods.)

just like hax said before
for example in tk a block that is not well placed or brute forced their way through will result in a arm dm of somekind.

meanwhile in erthtk, the higher dm threshold prevents these as well as the seemingly random dm's that occur when you move a bruised joint and it just falls off (to an extent.)
also the higher gravity and out of ring dojo dq in erthtk prevents wrist break runners from floating away once they have a mere 1k point lead

Yeah, I agree with all you said. They're not the same, but what I'm feeling from you and everyone I've talked about is that erthtkv2 is an improved/fair/more competitive version of TK. So it makes sense to use only erthtkv2.

Let's take the striking mods:

wushu: there wushu3, wushu3box, brushu, wushu_2015, wushu

they all change a bit of the technicalities. in wushu it is opener based, in brushu you have these long matches with higher thresholds which allows more movement. there is wushu3box which includes the jumping off a box and prevents running. they all change the technicalities, but the core is the same it is still WUSHU. and you still have to pick one of these for the competitive scene.

rk, and lenshu are TOTALLY different! totally diff gravity and tf. it's a huge difference!

hope you agree with me there
erthtk and tk have a completely different playstyle to the striking mods, theyre not focused on comebacks and chaaing at all, im not the best person to explain this, but although the aim is pretty much tge same with the focus usally being damage not disqualification, the meta is totally different

the problem with having 3 is that this means the peobability of having one of these mods is increased compared with kicking and grappling, unless you can find another mod that is suitable for each of these

rb_greykido or spiritwrestling with abd and greykido perhaps for grappling, but what about for kicking?
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
erthtk and tk have a completely different playstyle to the striking mods, theyre not focused on comebacks and chaaing at all, im not the best person to explain this, but although the aim is pretty much tge same with the focus usally being damage not disqualification, the meta is totally different

the problem with having 3 is that this means the peobability of having one of these mods is increased compared with kicking and grappling, unless you can find another mod that is suitable for each of these

rb_greykido or spiritwrestling with abd and greykido perhaps for grappling, but what about for kicking?

okay, I agree about them having a totally different gameplay, no denying that. the core meta is still the same, fuck your opponent up.

I don't see why TK deserves more than 1 mod, it's the same TF/same gravity. tk/erthtk/kickboxing all have the same idea, with erthtkv2 being the best version as people seem to think. this is not the same for three striking mods.

There are three striking mods with the core setting changed which is TF/gravity. And they are all very good!

for grappling: aikidobd(even though meta is wrong), greykido/aikido, spiritwrestling(although I'd rather not talk about grappling as it's not my specialty)
in the same way as other people before misunderstood rk-mma vs lenshu I think you are misunderstanding the kicking mods, cowmeat im sure will see this at some point and explain in more detail than me, but the gravity in erthtk is higher than in tk, making it a lot less floaty and harder to run, also due to the no dq ring more focus is placed on damage and less on dq.

kickbox is even more diffeeent, the 20 turn frames really change the accuracy and make plain defending more difficult as ayou cant react to all your opponents movements in time.

I wouldnt put aikido.tbm, I dont see it as competitive as thr others mentioned, I would add rb_greykido
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.
Originally Posted by William View Post

I don't see why TK deserves more than 1 mod, it's the same TF/same gravity. tk/erthtk/kickboxing all have the same idea, with erthtkv2 being the best version as people seem to think. this is not the same for three striking mods.

Okay now you're talking a bit out of your bum. I dont disagree that both erthtk and tk shouldnt be included. But just to clarify. Kickboxing has lower engage distance, 20tf. more matchframes. How is that not as much different as rkmma vs lenshu. secondly.

"It's the same TF/same gravity."

Tk and erthtk has different gravity, different dm threshold, other one has dojo and different matchframes.

I feel like you dont understand those two mods enough to compare them to lets say rk/lenshu differences. I could easily argue that Rk and lenshu are almost the same. since in both you just crabstance and lunge yourself into your opponent feet first. with 10tf difference.

Im not saying that per say. But I dont think Rk, wushu and lenshu (all of them) should be included.

You are massively biased at this matter (so am I but i feel a bit less). You say
"Stricking is a massive part of this game"
Not even remotely big as the aikidos, why arent you arguing for 3 different greykidos then.

Double also. Snake asked me to come up with a slight competitive variation to erthtk to make it even more competitive, showing off that soon after testing.
Last edited by cowmeat; Aug 16, 2015 at 01:22 PM.
Originally Posted by SmallBowl View Post
in the same way as other people before misunderstood rk-mma vs lenshu I think you are misunderstanding the kicking mods, cowmeat im sure will see this at some point and explain in more detail than me, but the gravity in erthtk is higher than in tk, making it a lot less floaty and harder to run, also due to the no dq ring more focus is placed on damage and less on dq.

kickbox is even more diffeeent, the 20 turn frames really change the accuracy and make plain defending more difficult as ayou cant react to all your opponents movements in time.

I wouldnt put aikido.tbm, I dont see it as competitive as thr others mentioned, I would add rb_greykido

Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Okay now you're talking a bit out of your bum. I dont disagree that both erthtk and tk shouldnt be included. But just to clarify. Kickboxing has lower engage distance, 20tf. more matchframes. How is that not as much different as rkmma vs lenshu. secondly.

"It's the same TF/same gravity."

Tk and erthtk has different gravity, different dm threshold, other one has dojo and different matchframes.

I feel like you dont understand those two mods enough to compare them to lets say rk/lenshu differences. I could easily argue that Rk and lenshu are almost the same. since in both you just crabstance and lunge yourself into your opponent feet first. with 10tf difference.

Im not saying that per say. But I dont think Rk, wushu and lenshu (all of them) should be included.

You are massively biased at this matter (so am I but i feel a bit less). You say
"Stricking is a massive part of this game"
Not even remotely big as the aikidos, why arent you arguing for 3 different greykidos then.

Double also. Snake asked me to come up with a slight competitive variation to erthtk to make it even more competitive, showing off that soon after testing.

sorry, forgot about the tf difference in kickboxing. they're all different mods i've conceded that..but my point was cowmeat. that i felt that you guys were saying erthtkv2 was superior in competitiveness to all the other kicking mods. hence we should use it. that what i thought you were saying.

for these three striking mods, it's a question of preference though, some people prefer -30 or -20. So you can't pick one and dub it the striking mod. Although, all people should be good in the three of them.

for striking if i had to pick one: i'd pick rk-mma with a slightly bigger dojo.
but that's my preference, some prefer -30 gravity.

so yeah sorry again for misunderstanding!

then include erthtkv2 tk and kickboxing
Last edited by William; Aug 16, 2015 at 04:37 PM.
the new mod by cow proven to be quite consistent as from what we tested the pure defensive meta is not dominating, can get a brab on shovel, so thats pretty decent one to be used for matchmaking, again, my experiece in tk is very limited, check for yourself

tkomp1.tbm
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
I'm going to focus on striking mods because that's my area of toribash expertise and I barely know crap about the rest.

As much as I enjoyed playing wushu mods, lenshu3ng and rk-mma during the past years, they're just outdated now. They're 5 years behind, and we've been given plenty of new tools to upgrade/update mods since (like triggers, thresholds and a customizable point system).
That's why Striking reborn have been created, to use the tools we've been given to provide actual versions of the classic striking based mods. The mods share the same core and focus their meta on striking aspect (aiming your hits, power, blocks, control...), minimizing randomness and cheese techniques to give them a general feeling of fairness.

There are 2 versions of each mod, b1, and b3, they all share the same frac/dm thresholds, which respectively are 180 and 300.
The b1 versions have 20 turns (so mf = 20*tf), no damage thresholds but still have the fresh point distribution system. They're probably more suitable for public rooms and casual tourneys.
The b3 versions have 40 turns (so mf = 40*tf), damage threshold set at 60 and fresh point distribution system. They have a higher skillcap and are probably more suitable for a competitive environment, they could be used for ranked KO tourneys if you halve their matchframes (20 turns instead of 40 turns, 40 turns is good for clanwars/matchs/duels, it's too long for KO tourneys tho)

Now the mod themselves :

Striking_HG, which is based on (but IS NOT) lenshu3ng.tbm. -30 grav / 30 tf / 30 dq timeout / dojo 600.
Striking_MG, which is based on (but IS NOT) rk-mma.tbm. -20 grav/ 40 tf / 20 dq timeout / dojo 650.
Striking_LG, which is based on (but IS NOT) wushu mods. -9.82 grav/ 50 tf / insta dq / dojo / dojo 850.

Keep in mind Striking mods won't ever be perfect as long as we don't have a lifebar-like system to totally remove the time advantage/constraint (ingame based or website based with the clanwar system) ; and a way to apply the "damage thresholds" on the "point trigger system", which would allow us to make "soft flags" : making the players only able to score if they strike hard enough with certain parts of their body, which would get us rid of "rubbing damage/points" and crazy hugs.
But until then, the actual versions we're proposing are still better than their classic equivalents.

Also, I guess there should be as many mods in each category (striking / grappling / kicking)
So if there are 3 strikings mods, there should be 3 kicking mods, and 3 grappling mods. And I'd advise the community of each category/mod to choose wisely and do what the striking scene (and cowmeat for kicking mods) is trying to do right now : make your mods focus on rewarding gameplay rather than pushing the new players to learn how to cheese-win, raise the general level and skill cap by making harder mods rather than keeping a noob-friendly meta.

Edit :

Also², it would be much clearer and readable to have an official list like :

Striking_LG
Striking_MG
Striking_HG

Grappling_thingy
Grappling_anotherthingy
Grappling_lastthingy

Kicking_whatever
Kicking_somethingelse
Kicking_Anotherthing

Also³, I've never understood/liked the term "kicking", as those mods' gameplay seems deeper than just trying to kick whatever's in front of you. I think they should be called "Hybrid", as they mix some grabbing and some precise striking.
Last edited by deprav; Aug 16, 2015 at 05:18 PM.