Ranking
I guess one would identify with their culture better, but even then, you're on this forum to identify and relate with the forum regardless of culture.

If people want to use the word "nigger" just because they're now allowed to doesn't make it right either. because then it's now cultural appropriation, and forum members would want to use this word regardless of their own culture when it's known to be downplayed in real life.

The word is known to be a harmful bad word depending on the context in real life, of course, but that's the slang terminology, but if you think about the word itself and what it meant back in the 1730's, it was a harmful word. So i disagree with this, but not completely.
I am evil.
Originally Posted by MintCat View Post
Going on from what Fee said, context doesn't change the fact that someone's bound to get offended.

I get what you're trying to say...
"Political correctness gone mad!"
"Censorship? I thought this was a free country!"

"FREE HAT"

But there's plenty of other stupid words for you to use.

Also: http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=533991

People are only bound to get offended by things that they choose to get offended to. I could go around telling people that I'm offended that they used my first name when referring to me, and people would (but not willingly) have to willingly accept that.
The world we live in is a world showered in sunshine and rainbows, but beneath that is shit.
Also, I was going to bring up that thread, but you appear to have already referred to it.
Valterain1 was defeated by hermaphrodite on Oct 17, 2015.
gonna quote this, cause I don't know why this guy immediately deleted his post.
Originally Posted by cowmeat
"muhhh political correctness why can't I say whatever the hell I want without repercussions??"

A person who doesn't even know what PC means, shouldn't state his opinion as staff.
But hey, it's fine.

used this clearly sarcastic statement for the inevitable, and already trending idea that being punished for saying nigger is censorship to get my point across.

inb4 you ignore this and insult me in PMs because you're so ingrained into your opinion of anyone that you'll present it as fact as you have attempted to do here. but I won't solely derail the thread off this comment or any of your future posts in this thread that are bound to come. after all, you're a self-proclaimed toxic user.

"if you get reported for saying 'nigger' joking or no you're going to get a punishment."

Does this apply to you as well? Good to know.

did you read what I said before that? if you're saying nigger in a public server, where there is the possibility of someone being offended or uncomfortable by you saying that, because as I said before: "let's face it it's a trigger word" then you will be punished if you are reported. and as you should. as I said in that post as well, the punishment will always depend on the context and the interpreter (moderator), hence why some have been banned for saying nigger, some have been warned for saying nigger, and some have been infracted for saying nigger. do you have a problem with the punishment or the moderation?

also yeah, it does apply to me. find where I've said nigger in-game or on the forums other than this thread. and don't beat around the bush, I want you to post a screenshot of me actually saying "nigger" if you're going to be like this.
Last edited by mWah; Nov 26, 2015 at 07:23 PM.
Pushing powder down my musket so I may smite another opp.
I put a switch and a beam on my blunderbuss, your hood is not safe.
Originally Posted by drone36 View Post
I guess one would identify with their culture better, but even then, you're on this forum to identify and relate with the forum regardless of culture.

If people want to use the word "nigger" just because they're now allowed to doesn't make it right either. because then it's now cultural appropriation, and forum members would want to use this word regardless of their own culture when it's known to be downplayed in real life.

The word is known to be a harmful bad word depending on the context in real life, of course, but that's the slang terminology, but if you think about the word itself and what it meant back in the 1730's, it was a harmful word. So i disagree with this, but not completely.

I must say that "cultural appropriation" is the weakest argument I have seen on the topic. On the internet I am not black or white or muslim or jew or anything else until I identify as otherwise. Their is no cultural appropriation on the internet because the internet is its own culture. Other cultures influence it but it is unique.

Also, I think it is ridiculous, particularly on the internet, to complain a specific point of one countries history and let it affect all of culture. The Spanish, Portuguese, French, Dutch, Danish, and English all had more slaves over a longer period that The USA, several starting before it was The USA was formed. All slaves are industrial tools, and there are still slaves today. Here's the real kicker though, can I say "What is up my Negro?"? it is the appropriate word.
Originally Posted by Fee View Post
Well for a start, among friends is not the same as a forum with a userbase made up different nationalities, backgrounds, beliefs and age groups. Censoring yourself, only slightly, in an environment like this is hardly a heavy burden.

The whole - "It's political correctness gone mad!" argument is dumb. This is the real world, we all have to moderate ourselves around others.

Great reasoning. Political correctness gone mad argument is dumb. Nice job backing up your argument, I see theres no point in having an actual discussion with you if you're just going to dismiss any argument as dumb and then have nothing to back it up with.

I would also like to comment on this being "the real world"; last time I checked this was the internet, which is one of the furthest things from the real world.

While I acknowledge everyone is from different backgrounds, beliefs and religions I also acknowledge that this is the internet, and anything that happens on the internet should not be taken to heart.
i created the ??? emoji
like a lighter bitch we ignit
Originally Posted by Onimaru View Post
I must say that "cultural appropriation" is the weakest argument I have seen on the topic. On the internet I am not black or white or muslim or jew or anything else until I identify as otherwise. Their is no cultural appropriation on the internet because the internet is its own culture. Other cultures influence it but it is unique.

This is exactly my point. Relate to this forum's internet culture if you are a part of it, and depending from what part of the internet people are from shows how much one tosses the word "nigger" around just for shits and giggles. ya dig? and this forum doesn't want to associate with that part of internet culture which is understandable.

We all know the internet is a horde of different moralities and opinions, right? Some parts of the internet culture decide it's okay to break all the social rules set by people because, "It's the internet, nobody should give a crap." Yes, it's good in some ways, breaking the social mold people have created, but I believe they've taken it too far. Some people will call someone a "Dirty Jew" or a "Dirty nigger" There comes a point where people will press their boundaries and take it to these extremes, and to stay far away from that it's best to remove the option altogether.

Sometimes people on the internet fail to see that opinions do matter to an extent. If one has a harmful opinion, that's when it gets dismissed, but obviously if it's an insult or considered offensive to someone's culture or a collective, it will be more offensive because more people are involved. I believe a majority of people on this forum still believe this word to be offensive. If you can prove to me otherwise I wouldn't mind this idea.

TL; DR:
I strongly believe a majority of people on this forum still believe this word to be offensive and/or unwelcome. If you can prove to me otherwise I wouldn't mind this idea.
Last edited by Polybius; Nov 26, 2015 at 07:45 PM.
I am evil.
The word has lost almost all meaning in this day of society.

When this is reported. I believe that the way its used, should effect the reasoning for if it should be worth infraction/ban

If they go out of their way and call you or say "Sup Nigga" or "You stupid nigga/nigger". That is indeed, infraction/ban worthy.

If they just say "My Nigga" or "Nigga, we blah blah blah". That seems okay.

If you can tell its indeed an insult nontheless, and not just friendly conversation. Then take action.

"Dear reader, I hope this email finds you before I do."
Originally Posted by Valterain1 View Post
People are only bound to get offended by things that they choose to get offended to. I could go around telling people that I'm offended that they used my first name when referring to me, and people would (but not willingly) have to willingly accept that.

May be the case for some people, but you have to acknowledge the gravity the word has on some people. 'People' is so broad, like a generalisation, though I'm hoping that's not what you were going for.

Of course, the world isn't perfect, but if there's an opportunity or circumstance in which we can keep a place tidy and moderated, then I fully support that.
Originally Posted by Valterain1 View Post
The world we live in is a world showered in sunshine and rainbows, but beneath that is shit.
Also, I was going to bring up that thread, but you appear to have already referred to it.

One doesn't have to accommodate change for one person because of a ridiculous request, but it's considered nice to do so. Ultimately it comes down to one's own choice, or compromise. let's go on with this example, lets say you don't want us to use your name, you'd have to give us a reason that we find is rational, and an alternative that we can both agree on.

this even applies to "the word in question"[tired of saying the N-word] if people tell you not to say it, it's considered nice to not say it. Ultimately it does come down to your own choice, but one can compromise on it. Let's say you don't want people to use this word, people would give the obvious reason about its historical context and offensiveness, then you find an alternative? right?

now, why go through ALL that when you can just prevent that word altogether?
Last edited by Polybius; Nov 26, 2015 at 07:52 PM.
I am evil.