Ranking
Original Post
A more fun Off-Topic (OR BRING WIBBLES BACK)
[05:08.39] <fallu> lol why the fuck are threads like the acronym thread not allowed
[05:09.00] <fallu> oh dear god they're havinG flFUN WE MMUST SSTTTOOPPP TTHHEEMMM
[05:10.37] <fallu> How the duck did tb forums become this heavily policed

Originally Posted by wibblefox
IMO mods should just stick to what ACTUALLY IS A PROBLEM. For example if you don't want flaming, then police flaming. Don't ban and close all threads because you are afraid that "Let's count to 100!" will end in hostility...

Originally Posted by Lazors
... The more I think about it I realise I'm not necessarily against a looser OT if people can behave and not be awful to each other. Toriprime have [serious] tags and even if nobody uses them, they're there for people who want a serious topic. There's no reason it wouldn't be the same in Off-topic.

---------------------

What does everyone think about this board? Is it too heavily policed? Should we allow threads and posts that don't meet the existing quality standards (obviously global rules would still apply)?

Toribash used to have Wibbles, a hyper-active board that had little-to-no quality standards. It used to be Discussion was serious, Off-Topic was semi-serious and Wibbles wasn't serious at all. Wibbles was removed at some point and many wept. Toriprime, a board locked behind a paywall, became Wibbles 2.0. People that pay money have the luxury of a practically rule-less community board to post in, but not everybody can (or wants to) spend $10 a month year for the privilege of having fun in a wibble-like community board.

I've come up with two possible courses of action here (I personally prefer the latter).
1) We use the [Serious] tag format from Toriprime and apply it to Off-Topic. This would likely make Off-Topic more active but less serious.
2) We bring Wibbles back and leave Off-Topic as it is. Everybody that just wants have fun can do so there. This option allows Off-Topic to retain its integrity while simultaneously letting people who just want to have fun do as they wish.

Do you like one of the options? Do you have a solution of your own? Do you even see this as an issue in the first place?

Let's talk.
Last edited by Ele; Sep 6, 2016 at 05:09 PM.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
People that pay money have the luxury of a practically rule-less community board to post in, but not everybody can (or wants to) spend $10 a month for the privilege of having fun in a wibble-like community board.

It's $10 per year.

@everything else
The first rule of the board is:
A. We do not allow useless threads. Your thread must have an obvious topic with room for some Discussion. Examples of useless threads include: Birthday threads, leaving threads coming back threads...etc.

Pretty broad room for things to talk about and post about. The acronym thread doesn't fit this so it was closed.
I personally think that the thing to blame is just people being unable to make good threads. I'll use reddit as an example because I read stuff there quite a bit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/askreddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/askmen

Lots of questions there would be applicable here. Some are obviously too narrow to get a wide pool of responses and discussion and some are inappropriate to ask here on this forum.
When I look down the list of threads made in the last week most of what I see is trash.

There's a wide wide allowance of what can be posted here.

The goddamn mission statement is:
"Welcome. Off-topic is a board meant for less-than-completely-serious debate, idea sharing, news linking, et cetera. All these things which get posted in Discussion, but which most members that participate in Discussion don't really feel that they are suitable to a forum of the type Discussion currently is (Read: Debate). This means you can post some stuff you find interesting or new or cool here."

"Off-topic is a board meant for less-than-completely-serious debate, idea sharing, news linking, et cetera."
I don't know how much more you could ask for...

Maybe the solution to increasing activity and discussion here is to relax the rules and restrictions on what can be posted but I think that if that's what it takes to solve the problem then the problem in the first place is just that most of the community is incapable of thinking of good things to talk about in the first place.
Originally Posted by Solax View Post
"Off-topic is a board meant for less-than-completely-serious debate, idea sharing, news linking, et cetera."

Threads/posts that are deemed 'low effort' aren't allowed. Low effort, fun threads. "Less-than-completely-serious" doesn't include the kinds of threads wibbles used to have. That's the point of this, to allow for these 'shitter', 'useless' threads that maybe don't result in any meaningful conversation.

The point is 'why can't we have useless/fun-for-the-sake-of-fun threads'. It seems that the answer right now is, 'you can, but you gotta pay us $10'.

Maybe the solution to increasing activity and discussion here is to relax the rules and restrictions on what can be posted but I think that if that's what it takes to solve the problem then the problem in the first place is just that most of the community is incapable of thinking of good things to talk about in the first place.

You're automatically equating 'good things to talk about' with threads that don't facilitate 'less-than-completely-serious debate'. In your mind, and in the minds of a lot of mods, good = useful. That's the way the rules are set up and that's how we're told to act.

Now, that's OK. We have to realise though, that the way we see shit isn't necessarily the way the community sees shit. Good, for some people, might mean 'fun' instead of 'useful'. Right now, we (staff) have decided that 'good for the board' means 'useful'. Maybe the community would prefer 'good for the board' to simply mean 'fun' and 'active'. In my mind, when it comes down to the will of the community vs. the will of the staff, the staff's will should take the backseat.

Now, I'm not saying that the will of the community is to have a freer Off-Topic or to have wibbles come back. I don't know what the community wants, that's what this thread is for. All I know is that there's been rumblings in the community about the policing of Off-Topic for a while now, so I figured it would be good to give this issue some attention.
------------
It might be useful for someone in authority, and in the know, to explain to us why wibbles was removed in the first place. If we analyse why it 'failed', we can come up with solutions to ensure it wouldn't fail again if it were given another chance.
Last edited by Ele; Sep 6, 2016 at 05:14 PM.

That is exactly what we do want. Unfortunately that is not at all how the board actually functions right now.

Offtopic right now is in a horrendous state, maybe half of all threads are closed, and any thread that picks of steam is almost certainly closed swiftly. Just look at it, 1 active thread.... In a sub that is supposed to be fun...

The quote above was from last time we discussed this sub, I shit you not, staff said that they were afraid that threads might turn hostile so they just close them all. Another staff member said they were afraid of people getting high post counts! Are these really legitimate concerns?

When was the last time we had a competent admin who actually used and improved the forums? Maybe Hamster? Staff in this forum really need to get their shit together.

Originally Posted by Ele View Post
1) We use the [Serious] tag format from Toriprime and apply it to Off-Topic. This would likely make Off-Topic more active but less serious.
2) We bring Wibbles back and leave Off-Topic as it is. Everybody that just wants have fun can do so there. This option allows Off-Topic to retain its integrity while simultaneously letting people who just want to have fun do as they wish.

Let's recap how the boards were supposed to work before people fucked it up:

Discussion: "Serious talk goes here."
Offtopic: "For less critically criticized general topics."

We do not need to bring back wibbles, we do not need to have tags. Just get rid of all the shitty rules and move serious threads to discussion, and non serious threads to offtopic. That's why we made those boards in the first place, that is how they are supposed to function.
Last edited by wibblefox; Sep 6, 2016 at 08:30 PM.
If you have minions in your avy or sig DO NOT REPLY TO MY POSTS
Firstly, can you show me some closed threads that you feel shouldn't have been closed in your mind?

Currently, the gaming and movie/music subforums are in a very good place activity wise - yet they are subject to OT rules and then some. While I agree with you on these points:
  • the goal of moderation is to provide the most enjoyable experience for the maximum number of users
  • off topic is currently a very inactive board (comparatively)
  • the reason for a pay-wall into wibbles (TP) is opaque to most people including myself

I'm not sure if I agree with the 'tone back moderation' idea - the way I'm looking at it is that the only active threads in that situation would be posting game threads (like the acronyms thread) - this is not discussion and not the objective of off topic at all.

So rather than a changing of OT rules, some other action would be healthier imo - either free up the wibbles-style board for regular users or maybe even create a 'posting games' subforum.
Last edited by Fear; Sep 6, 2016 at 09:14 PM.
i like to imagine there is a correlation between the demise of wibbles and the increasing shittiness of the forum userbase, its almost like they had a containment board of sorts
Off-Topic is only inactive because it takes a slight effort to make a "good thread", which leads to users scrolling right past the threads I tagged "READ BEFORE POSTING" and then making really stupid posts. The problem of thread quality has been here for quite a while, and to attempt to combat this, I even made a thread (which a lot of people still ignore apparently) to guide users into making a thread that would be appropriate for our board. When users ignore this, you get completely stupid threads like the Acronyms thread and then people get upset when they get closed.

Originally Posted by wibblefox View Post
Offtopic right now is in a horrendous state, maybe half of all threads are closed, and any thread that picks of steam is almost certainly closed swiftly. Just look at it, 1 active thread.... In a sub that is supposed to be fun...

You're saying this like we encourage users to make shit shows of threads, and then we close them to laugh in their faces and boost our cripplingly low self-esteems. Users have the tools necessary to make decent threads, but currently the users just want to make threads dedicated to memes. Threads allowed here are seriously more abstract than everyone seems to think, it's not really our fault that people can't think of "FUN ON MESSAGE BOARDS" outside of game threads.

Discord: bicycleforrats
<[Obey]Quest> yall needa tap into my telegram on gad
Chase Sapphire Reserve® Cardholder
I have made threads about this too.

it seems that most of the community would like to be able to make off topic posts in off topic, and I don't see why mods are constantly closing and deleting threads just because they don't like the current content. heaps of good conversations start out as nonsensical rabble.

I really don't see why moderators put so much effort into being dickheads. just yesterday someone was complaining about how long it takes mods to follow up on reports, why don't you help people out rather than trying to finish off the already dying community?

and telling people to just buy tp or vip is silly. you know the majority of this community is made up of younger people who don't have money, credit cards or paypal. and having to pay to not have your posts deleted sounds immoral to me, hey, but whatever.

why not let people have a little fun? I feel like less people would quit tb if the forums didn't suck.

also you could just give people short bans from the sub forum if they shitpost too much. I was banned from the discussion sub forum for ages and haven't shitposted there ever since, so it does work.
Originally Posted by Fear View Post
Firstly, can you show me some closed threads that you feel shouldn't have been closed in your mind?

So I went back two pages and I found a couple that I think didn't need to be closed. The two acronym threads, the 'what would you give to have your dream wife' thread, the circumcision thread, the 'who has the best name' thread and the 'who would you invite to a TB LAN party' thread.

All of them (minus the circumcision thread) could be considered low-effort, fun threads and were closed for being such. I imagine the circumcision thread was closed because someone misinterpreted the 'keep it clean' rule.

Originally Posted by Fear View Post
So rather than a changing of OT rules, some other action would be healthier imo - either free up the wibbles-style board for regular users or maybe even create a 'posting games' subforum.

Yeah, I'm leaning more towards the creation of a free 'low-effort' board (however we want to describe it) too. The serious (Discussion) -> semi-serious (Off-Topic)-> non serious (Wibbles) boards for general chat that we had back in the ol' days seemed like a good system.

I don't support Pig's idea of splitting general boards into either serious or not serious. Very often people like a middle-ground, and forcing users to have either completely serious threads or threads that everybody is free to shit on doesn't really give people that middle-ground option.

Originally Posted by Moonshake View Post
Users have the tools necessary to make decent threads, but currently the users just want to make threads dedicated to memes. Threads allowed here are seriously more abstract than everyone seems to think, it's not really our fault that people can't think of "FUN ON MESSAGE BOARDS" outside of game threads.

You recognise the community enjoys making and participating in these low-effort threads and you understand there's a demand for this sort of content. No, it's not your (or any staff's) fault that the community is like this. What is our fault is that we're not catering for the community. Instead of blaming the 'problem' of low-effort threads on the nature of the community, we should instead be blaming ourselves for not giving the community an outlet. We've locked the (formerly) community-wide 'wibble' board behind a paywall.

We don't hold any personal grudges against dogs for doing dog-like stuff. If it shits in your house, you teach it to shit outside. You don't blame the dog for being a dog, you look for a way to remedy the problem.
Last edited by Ele; Sep 7, 2016 at 04:36 AM.
Im not sure where I stand here tbh, on one hand - of course there is demand for this kind of setting. However toriprime is surely one of the largest sources of income for toribash, perhaps not the largest but still significant.

Is it sensible to weaken arguably the biggest incentive for getting toriprime? Of having a place to make these kinds of threads
Don't dm me pictures of bowls that you find attractive.