ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Which processor should I get?
Im looking to upgrade my Cpu and I want either one of these.

AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz $180
or
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz $135

I do a bit of everything with my on my computer but mainly I game. I just really want to know if that extra .2Ghz and a bit of overclocking room is really worth $45.

Any help would me much appreciated.
Yes
For the price difference I'm pretty sure no, it's not worth the extra $45. Do wait for a second opinion though, I'm no CPU expert.

You could almost definitely overclock the 965 to 3.6 if you wanted that little extra, but at the same time it wouldn't make a huge difference for most gaming, since most gaming is far more dependent on your graphics card than your CPU. Even a midrange CPU will perform appreciably on moderate settings for almost anything with a strong enough GPU backing it.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
I kind of thought the 965 would be a better deal be I just needed a second view on the whole thing so thanks much.
Yes
get the cheaper one,
the 5% higher clock is never worth 30% higher price
wishful eyes deceive me
the 965 is still a great processor running mine at 4.1ghz with an aftermarket cpu cooler

also, i'm willing to bet the 965 can overclock just as well and reach the same or close to the same performance as the 975.
You don't say?
That small .2 GHz increase won't be worth the $45 difference. It's too much of a cost to gain so little performance. As everyone has said, just overclock the processor.
Proud Member of
[C3][Anime United]