Toribash
Original Post
Young contender hated for not singing in her own language (The Voice Cambodia)
Cambodia is weird, I know(Yes I'm Cambodian), but this singer on The Voice Cambodia is getting a lot of hate recently because she only sings in English.

People are whining why isn't she singing in Khmer because she's Cambodian (Typical Cambodians).

I wanna hear your thoughts on this.

My thoughts are that these people are fucking selfish of their (and my) language, and they should die in a pit.

Image translates " She sang English again, Hahaha, Does she not speak Khmer?".Video example A link to a facebook video of her, most of the comments are hate comments but I'm sure you can find a few English comments in there. ( Feel free to apply offensive replies )

By young, she's only around 17.
Last edited by Seihareach; May 23, 2016 at 11:45 AM.
Bringer of Hell
Funny, in western versions of this show it's popular to not sing in English. I can recall a number of singers who received widespread praise for singing in some other languages.

In this case I would say someone thought it's funny to hate, and others jumped on because yeah it's pretty funny. People will whine about anything, it's not just a Cambodian thing.
Originally Posted by GnilRettemHC View Post
Funny, in western versions of this show it's popular to not sing in English. I can recall a number of singers who received widespread praise for singing in some other languages.

In this case I would say someone thought it's funny to hate, and others jumped on because yeah it's pretty funny. People will whine about anything, it's not just a Cambodian thing.

Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
maybe they cant speak English? idk

It's a Cambodian thing to say "You're Cambodian, You have to do this, You have to do that" to the point where it's annoying. Many judge Cambodians who speaks too much English, more than Khmer. Many dislike Cambodians who like Vietnamese people ( They have a grudge on Vietnamese for shit they did a century ago. ). Hell, I've even seen a group of Cambodians criticizing people for using Dollars as their form of currency and not Riel. It's gotten to the point I wish I'm not even Cambodian myself.
Bringer of Hell
From my experience I think some people feel like their language can become extinct if people start talking in English. In my small nation of 3 million people called Lithuania people get shamed for speaking in English or using English terms, especially on TV or other media because that "promotes" English language. I think that is phenomena is any country that is small and feel pressure from other countries.
But this is a TV show, "The Voice". You don't see people get criticized for singing in English in other countries of the show.
Bringer of Hell