Ranking
Original Post
Why is there no contemporary art in toribash?
While the title may seem shitpost-esque, I'm very interested to see how this thread "goes" and how does everyone feel in regards to this topic.

Why is there no contemporary art in toribash?

I had this question for some time, and couldn't find any reason for it. Contemporary art is meant to break the mould.

So with this concept in mind, why hasn't there been any attempt to "break" it. The barrier, of which I refer to, is the limitations of our canvas, and for this discussion I want to solely focus on the tori, so the in-game aspect of it. While some rules are set, so nothing that is very intrusive/offensive (can't go Andreas Serrano). Ive just wondered, why are there no contemporary sets, just made in various ways. Imagine a set drawn by hand on paper, then scanned and mapped onto a texture. Thats where Im going with my idea. Would collectors be willing to pay more, if the set was made in a pioneering way?
We are currently stuck in renaissance, with no new ideas and a given standard still upheld over the years.

I'm open to any discussion, how this is a dumb idea (or a great one) or maybe even why you'd want to (as an artist) try to do something of such similarity.

**If this gains any interest, I'll further elaborate on it, but for now I'll let a "loose thought" make the thread.
Because it would look horrible and very few people would appreciate it here, much less pay for it. Idt any artist here would make a set for toribash solely as just an art piece.

SOMTHING NEW SOMETHING NEW

i had a rayman set and a broken black shard set but was threatened bans for both so I'd say the rules are a bit strict nd keep people thinking only about what others are doing for sets
[🥒] x2 🥒x17

https://svntrw.carrd.co

Yet Another Goomba Post/Thread
i love sets that are just a bunch or random shit on a tori but its in HD. with that being said. Idc who disagrees. But i cannot STAND those over the top 512 sets that are like this cool ass robot or wtv. its just overplayed. i always like looking at something that is even remotely new.

I had an idea of making a full joint set. but every single joint is some random shit that is drawn but matches the same layout as the template. like have a pec texture be a greek baby, while the other pec is a dead seagull. i would pay a arm and leg (HAHAHAHAHA) for something like that
Ily <3
As an artist, typically an uncompetitive art community leads to stagnation, which leads to creative starvation when it comes even to looks- think for a second, if the very fabric of a tori's aesthetic is so baseline, if usually if you squint things look the same, it's quite a leap to jump to medium experimentation; when we're at a baby level of comprehension on even raw, core looks.

There is no reward as there is no appreciation, therefore it's not encouraged to innovate, it would require a level of commitment to something so banal that you'd might as well be better off making art without linking it to toribash, as you'd be limiting yourself in a niche, artistically demotivational, and unencouraged market.

I spent dozens of hours on this personal project and my next project is actually very medium dependent as I'm making a full set on ink on paper that I'm going to further digitize and map. But as I do this I know there is absolutely no market, firstly the effort takes a toll on the artist which would then require exponentially higher pays the more experimentational it is, which in an already dry market is laughable as there is a clear shortage of interest, then again in such a superficial world as tends to be video game customization, looks are everything, and you'll get eye rolls from most people if you start talking about how innovative your set it when to most people - it's just a set.

that's my personal view on it of course, interesting question though
Originally Posted by Sunther View Post
Because it would look horrible and very few people would appreciate it here, much less pay for it. Idt any artist here would make a set for toribash solely as just an art piece.

I think avikaa was a great example of an artist, who did conceptual art, wasn't following the usual guidelines, and still sold their sets with ease.

Originally Posted by Goomba View Post
i had a rayman set and a broken black shard set but was threatened bans for both so I'd say the rules are a bit strict nd keep people thinking only about what others are doing for sets

I wish that weren't the case. Some sets, that are in any way transparent could pose issues for certain players. I get that, but I also would love to see more variety.

Originally Posted by Glimpsed View Post
i mean sets designed to be fucking ugly are statements i think

I COMPLETELY agree with you, and I find charm in sets/heads that are made so on purpose.

Originally Posted by Nine View Post
i love sets that are just a bunch or random shit on a tori but its in HD. with that being said. Idc who disagrees. But i cannot STAND those over the top 512 sets that are like this cool ass robot or wtv. its just overplayed. i always like looking at something that is even remotely new.

Originally Posted by Nine View Post

I had an idea of making a full joint set. but every single joint is some random shit that is drawn but matches the same layout as the template. like have a pec texture be a greek baby, while the other pec is a dead seagull. i would pay a arm and leg (HAHAHAHAHA) for something like that

I hope you'll manage to the set one day! maybe read some tutorials how to make jointed sets etc.

I honestly feel we are beyond the "full robot" sets meta, but I still find charm in owning some sets, and occasionally wearing them.

Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
As an artist, typically an uncompetitive art community leads to stagnation, which leads to creative starvation when it comes even to looks- think for a second, if the very fabric of a tori's aesthetic is so baseline, if usually if you squint things look the same, it's quite a leap to jump to medium experimentation; when we're at a baby level of comprehension on even raw, core looks.

Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post

There is no reward as there is no appreciation, therefore it's not encouraged to innovate, it would require a level of commitment to something so banal that you'd might as well be better off making art without linking it to toribash, as you'd be limiting yourself in a niche, artistically demotivational, and unencouraged market.

I spent dozens of hours on this personal project and my next project is actually very medium dependent as I'm making a full set on ink on paper that I'm going to further digitize and map. But as I do this I know there is absolutely no market, firstly the effort takes a toll on the artist which would then require exponentially higher pays the more experimentational it is, which in an already dry market is laughable as there is a clear shortage of interest, then again in such a superficial world as tends to be video game customization, looks are everything, and you'll get eye rolls from most people if you start talking about how innovative your set it when to most people - it's just a set.

that's my personal view on it of course, interesting question though

When I first saw the project of your CL win arm I literally chuckled, because it's a really fun concept.

Your new project sounds amazing man, I've been thinking of something along those lines for ages. The perception of "just a set" is literally parallel to how people portray modern art, saying it's "just a splatter of paint, I could do that". Real appreciation will come from those, who understand the research, thought process, and how well the outcome came to be. I'm so happy to hear you menion that Alejandro, and i have my fingers crossed for your project.

That's all when it comes to responding to everyone's comments!

I'm very pleased to see people respond, and give their opinions. I'd love to expand this thread, so people could show art that they consider interesting, and maybe even showcase artists who break the mould.

For now, I'll gladly see if anyone else responds, and shows their own projects or give their opinion on whether there is a place for more "modern"/conceptual art to take place in toribash.
Toribash art evolved.

(at this point I'm typing out random shizzles for giggles)

Tribal Textures
BenDover made cool looking tribal textures

Cartoon Textures
There used to be cartoon textures made by artists like mrama , rott, and a bunch of other players. Chris had heads that used to look flat, smosh023 had nice texture sets, and more.

Robotic Textures
There used to be a trend of using the platinum and acid colors to create a robotic texture. There was also Pate5 who made cool robotic textures (you can see his process on YT). A player named Nightmare had really cool robotic textures; damn, his trails were cool, too... Anyways, more artists such as GuyX came up with cool robotic(as well as realistic) textures,... Clockwork8 had good robotic textures during his time... Vitiek had reaaally good textures, too :^) After some time, I saw Yiazmat create good robotic textures.

Anime Textures
dengue made good anime heads. Chab too ig.

Realistic Textures
This is where it peaked imo. Jebus, 13chillz, and Pheature are kinda well-known for creating realistic textures however, I think monobi and BenDover were the first few artists who tried to make realistic, human-like textures.

Other favorite artists
Membrain, aveance, fawflaw, Tyler112, Hagan, WeppetKo, Leonardo, jusmi, *insert 13chillz' brother*, fenris, 8oj4n, cerberus, ezeth, mantrain, that guy I used to be in (AG) with who created "glitched textures" , calamity, alphasonik and more.

-----

At this point, I don't see an artist coming up with good stuff/something new

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toribash Season 1 Rank 3 | Ex-ES Artist | Ex-Mascot of [Alpha]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER
I don't know what art for toribash has in the future, but the reason I think why most of the artists keep doing the same thing is because people just don't like seeing newer thing and they don't buy stuff that not considered similer to the "legendary" artists
I myself have tried to make different stuff and try new things but whenever I do it just doesn't end up selling which is very demotivating

whenever I get art requests most of them is just people trying to buy things similer to what already was made by some "legendary" artist and giving me references of their work.

I don't know why old art made by someone that was probably sold for 5k at the time is now selling for 50k or even 500k which is pretty stupid I know that alot of the art that gets sold for alot of money for being old is actually really good but some of them is just pretty normal stuff and nothing special.

All I am saying is that the current artists don't get paid as much for what they make, I mean look at the art market right and look at how many newer really good artists are trying to sell their stuff but it just never gets sold because they are not "old legendary artist" or whatever which makes me mad, I can name alot of the current artists that I really like and I can see how much effort they put into their art but their stuff just never gets sold or just sells cheap like for example Advens, Karan , DanGerg, Obito, Scrimmietta, wtflands, wayaway I can name so many new artists that are actually really good and have their own unique style but people just keep buying the old art to just resell again..

Other than that I think retextureable items should have their own sub thread in the art/textures so people would actually start making textures for the items aswell and not make body textures all the time it's pretty stupid to have retextureable items if no one is actually going to retexture them and I don't even think people know that they can retexture some of their items..

and I would like to disagree with karstnator with the thing where he said that the new artists aren't coming up with good stuff/something new... thats all because everyone keeps comparing the newer artists to the old artists and try to find stuff like pheature 13 chillz or chris etc.. they all have new art style which you guys will eventually start liking when their art will be getting reselled after 6 or 7 years with the words "old" and "legendary" in them.

(another thing I would like to say is I hate tribal sets come on get creative )
Last edited by Clint; Nov 30, 2020 at 06:53 PM.
by something "new" I meant other types of art; abstract art, for example.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toribash Season 1 Rank 3 | Ex-ES Artist | Ex-Mascot of [Alpha]
CLAN LEAGUE 2019 WINNER