Ranking
Original Post
thumbing through the bands I be playin' with the check, keep it real 'til I die, put it on my set Tapion's Avatar
4th Dan Black Belt
Trying to spark some imagination
So, I'm going to put some sparks in your imagination.

So... today while I was showering, I usually get my better ideas when I shower, I was thinking about insects and how they're actually some harmless creatures. Then my brain just suddenly thought about the seasons and when the insects are more active. Well, when is it? The autumn ofc! That bloody autumn, such a mass insect-murderer. Comes over like a dark cloud bombing these poor insects with gigantic bombs of water-drops. And these poor insects must ofc try to find shelter, because they might die. Some of them obviously did some work and foresaw that this would happen, so they built shelters and gathered food, along with hiding their leader there.

- "Wait, Tapion, I thought you were going to spark our imagination?"
- Well, ofc I am.
- "But you just told us how nature works with the insects."

Yes, I certainly did just tell you how nature works around insects, but that's where my idea comes in, nearly exactly as I just wrote in that little intro. I was having this idea about creating this video about insects, I picked wasps for this one, where they basically sort of lives like us humans. They have their houses, gardens, etc. They do everyday stuff.

The way that I want the seasons to work with this, is that the summer is basically their sun. The sun is up the entire summer, no rain. And as the sun is about to set one day, the dark clouds form off in the horizon moving closer and closer. This is basically autumn. Here in the north everyone looks at autumn as the season of rain.

What our protagonist does then, is he's on his daily... whatever it is as the sun is about to set and this cloud moves in. All the wasps stand confused, but the older wasps obviously get scared and runs away. The first raindrops then starts to fall and destroys houses/part of the landscape, and the terror starts. This is also when our friendly wasp starts the search for his shelter in panic.

He will find his shelter and he will survive the night. As the new day starts, there is no sun, it's a cloudy day obviously, the autumn is there. So as he peeks out of his shelter he sees houses destroyed. Wasps lying on the ground unconcious. Some others come of other shelters/detroyed houses and they meet up and walk away/off in the distance.

First off, this is something that I'm aiming for to be put on sites like youtube. So the time length of the video should be at MAX 10 min. That's actually a lot too, let's say 5?

Secondly, I had the idea, but I simply can't make it myself. I'm not good at 3d, nor am I good at making music. So obviousy enough I can't do this by myself, but this is where you guys come in. I know there are some very talented 3d artists here, and why not make use of that. It would probably also make for a good practice for those participating.

This isn't really a request, it's more of a idea, something that I'm giving you. A gift if you will. Take this post as you will.

tldr version, it's a collab video idea.

Edit: If you're interested and got any questions; feel free to ask.

I forgot to say this, but the aim of this project is that it's going to free. As in no production costs. (... plus I simply can't pay you guys, or anyone else to do this, because of... well I'm poor)

Edit2: I'll even be kind enough to post whatever updates I have here in this thread.
Last edited by Tapion; Sep 20, 2012 at 02:05 AM.
Sigma | Gata
Lost pet looking for home
Interesting story but there's just a problem.. Normally, those short films that are on youtube and such, take like 2 or 3 years to do! To make them perfect..
Even if the whole t3Al joined this it would take a lot of our time.

But if you still want to do it, I would like to help with anything
thumbing through the bands I be playin' with the check, keep it real 'til I die, put it on my set Tapion's Avatar
4th Dan Black Belt
Wow, 2 or 3 years? That's a lot...
If we even managed to get it done with a length of 3 minutes that would be awesome as well. 5 mintures was actually counting intro animation and credits list as well. Oh my... turned into a bigger project than I thought.

But anyway, still open for ideas and feedback on the more "open" areas of this story.
Sigma | Gata
I think you have no fucking clue how making a 3d animation really is, and the difficulty around it and how to plan one.

You want to keep it really simple and easy to make, because you will spend an awful lot of time on rigging, texturing, modeling and animation. I know this because I have made a couple of real animation shorts. The story and storyboard is the critical part, its hard to come up with a real good idea not because its an idea but because you need to handcraft your story with these things in mind.

1. Actual challenges making this animation in a 3d program.

- Easy to rig and animate characters (preferably no humans, or things with fur or skin hard to model

- no complicated lighting in the enviroment, keep in mind the render times.

- you only want to smooth your models when everything is rigged, animated and ready to go, this can lead into more difficulities.

2. Actual product

- Timing is really important, if you don't hit the timing on the character or scene actions the viewer can loose interest or being put off what you are trying to show them, even if your story is good you need to plan your timings.

- Fluidness is important, everything has to go smoothly and have a nice flow, if you have cuts, scenes or animations that dont fit together perfectly it won't be entertaining.

- No errors, you can't have a single bad texture, bad model or bad light in your scene. If you do it will have horrible consequences

- One art style is important, it might be easy if you work alone but in a group of 5 people things might get mixed, here is where one concept artist or art director is important.

- Equal amount of work for each person evolved. A group making an animation is only as good as the weakest link.

- Sound is critically important, especially the timings and sound quality.

If you are able to have all these factors in mind all the time both while making the story and executing it you will be able to make a good product.

And yes even a short of 3 minutes can take months even years. I've already worked for 3 weeks constantly on my racermint commercial now and I haven't even started animating, rigging it and rendering it yet which is the time consuming part. I also did a fish animation some time ago which took a group of 6 guys 2 months (result weren't even that good xD)

Also a t3al collab animation is a joke, it will never happen, even if it does it won't be good. Feel free to prove me wrong but I am pretty confident in this statement.
Last edited by Ezeth; Sep 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM.
4th Dan Black Belt
Then I guess there's no future in this. Again, just trying to spark ideas for you. Anyway. Closing this so it can die in piece before it rots. Open it if you want.

The only intention was to help.
Sigma | Gata