Ranking
Originally Posted by Logic View Post
This is what is going to happen. Neural-digital porting of information is already here in rudimentary fashions.

See http://hplusmagazine.com/articles/ne...digital-memory

I think the future of entertainment will be like Total Recall, where people get memory implants - but it won't really be a memory implant, but an experience implant - so you actually experience the movie reality as the present moment, not as past memory. They would basically be custom dreams that you pay for, except you could remember it afterward. But I think it could be terrible, because you might not be able to tell which is the "real" reality, as in Total Recall (and every other work of Philip K. Dick lol).

And unfortunately, yes ads will be beamed directly into our brains/minds. It can even be so insidious that you don't detect it as an ad from an outside source, but you perceive it simply as a desire from within to obtain some bs product.

owell, once this happens radio telepathy will happen and we will all be like the borg, lol.
Originally Posted by Freeman Dyson
It is easy to imagine radiotelepathy as a powerful instrument of social change, used either for good or for evil purposes. It could be a basis for mutual understanding and peaceful cooperation of humans all over the planet. Or it could be a basis for tyrannical oppression and enforced hatred between one communal society and another. All that we can say for certain is that the opportunities for human experience and understanding would be radically enlarged. A society bonded together by radiotelepathy would be experiencing human life in a totally new way.

but i guess transhumanism is way too off topic
I'll still watch a movie in the theaters if it lends itself enough to a cinematic experience.
Pope of BnW[Torigod]Lord of WibblesYouTubeToriblog AdminInterface Artist
(,,゚Д゚) -"Become a fan. DO IT."

Hyperboloids of wondrous Light
Rolling for aye through Space and Time
Harbour those Waves which somehow Might
Play out God's holy pantomime

Also, Gubbin is neat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I would rather go to the theatres then watch a movie on any sort of TV that they have around where I live, even if the TV was as big.
Originally Posted by FNugget View Post
As I see it, movies are dying because of pirating. The movie theater used to give an experience because the darkness and the size of the screen and the sound system. But now people have all that stuff at home. Peoples TVs at home are good enough that they would download movies. What kind of entertainment can provide an experience you can't get from a recording? A live play. But plays are so boring. There aren't any special effects, just lights, clothes, a backdrop, etc.

tl;dr Would you watch a live play directed by Michael Bay?

I wouldnt even watch a movie directed by michael bay. Much less a play.

Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
I'll still watch a movie in the theaters if it lends itself enough to a cinematic experience.

Even if theaters were dying, entertainment would still be flourishing, and it would be much more readily available. But i would still see a movie if it was good enough like hamster. What we should worry about is the quality of entertainment, eg movies getting suckier and suckier. but thats a different thread.
Mei fati dominus, mei animi dux
Need to PM a SMod?

Unofficial Skimmer of Discussion!

Fabula Magnus wants more able RPers!
Cataclysm is still alive?

Thorn

Wiggi must love me forever now.
Originally Posted by GHB View Post

being in the middle of the scenes by playing the movies in your brain would be fun ;P
having ads in your brain would be less fun though

3D glasses/headset with an interactive thought sensor whatevermaboberthingy would be pretty awesome.

Originally Posted by Lume View Post
I would rather go to the theatres then watch a movie on any sort of TV that they have around where I live, even if the TV was as big.

The thing is though, there are shitloads of disruptions that usually happen during the movies. Crying babies, the ignorant retard on the phone that sits behind you, buying $12 dollar candy bars.
Judging by the poor quality entertainment I (try not to) see on MTV and numerous other channels, I'd say that the mainstream entertainment industry is becoming mediocre by the day.

Also movies aren't dying from piracy.
Some decades ago they said the same about VHS recording. And hell, I remember getting the covers for the movies from the fucking TV Guide magazine itself. So that argument seems kinda fallacious to me. Its just fine. They're simply mad because nowadays independent movies are getting more exposure and good reception thanks to the democratization of the culture (specially arts - music, films) on the Internet.
Plus they can't practice speculative prices anymore.
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Jul 24, 2010 at 03:12 PM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
Originally Posted by sirkill1 View Post
plays eh?

well i dont think its the fututre, its the past, the future is three d movies which you can partake in somewhat like virtual reality... i'd pay for something like that

i always go for the the 3d it makes it a whole lot cooler....plays are ok but they're way to drama-ie for me. unless they have fireworks and or 'splosions in which case they are worth it.

I would venture to say that movies will soon be non-existant, or at very least less popular.
3D is great, but it still isn't interactive. I'd venture to say that a good portion of the future's entertainment will come from video games. It is emersive and fun. Movies are too, and I would be emersed by a play if it was good.
But keep in mind, plays. like all other forms of remote entertainment, are reenactions of events. They aren't supposed to be 'real' in that they have explosions and stuff like that. Allthough, kids these days apparently care for realistic graphics a lot more tha they care about good gameplay.

But I babble, better to be breif. (lol /b/ refferences)
I think the future is in gaming, but who knows, maybe some radicaly different mean of entertainment will emerge that we can't even imagin at this time.

Also, to yet another point to this lengthy post.
No matter how good some form of entertainment in your own home is, it will never be 100% portable, and 100% just as emersive.
Virtual Reality. A VR machine with hyper-fast revolving LCDs, and omnidirectional treadmill, surroundsound, ect are all things that might be in a VR machine. Or maybe one towhere you fall asleep and it reads your brainwaves and creates a virtual world (Dream manipulation) for you.
Ect, ect. But these things will never be portable. Movies work in the same way. You can watch them on your phone, but it's not as emersive as watching it in the theaters.
Last edited by ermac2222; Jul 24, 2010 at 08:29 PM.
Nope 3D TV can not be for Kids Under 4 I think. They may go cock eyed because their eye muscles haven't really grown yet they they are more susceptible to stupid stuff like that.